Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Keep winning or look for the easier knockout games?

What should England do on Thursday

• Win for the momentum

Votes: 141 77.0%
  • Lose for the greater good.

Votes: 42 23.0%

• Total voters

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If it were reversed and we had to WIN to get the `better` draw, would we be gagging for a win?

If it were the case that we were, hypocrastically speaking, then I would definitely say that. Gruppo Sportivo. Without a doubt. Scorchio.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
At least before the game we'll know who our next opponent will be, and the likely opponent for the game after that should we win.
If Colombia top their group which is very likely, I wouldn't want them in the next round. I'd rather one of the other 2.

I am a bit drunk now, but forgive me, I have no idea what the johnnybollocks you are on about. Does it have something to do with VAR? Or the lottery? Eamon Holmes? I give up :shrug::lolol:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If Colombia top their group which is very likely
The odds are they won't finish top. Not much in it, so no surprise if they do, but it's odds against.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
All depends on where Columbia come for me - so I’ll be able to answer this question better at 5 tomo. One side does look a lot kinder than the other though.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
If we finish second in the group I will celebrate it like a win.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/schedule/knockout-stage

Yes, when you look at the two sides of the draw, 2nd in group G faces six European teams plus winner of group G in top half of draw; would fancy us against Switzerland or Sweden in QF, then play winnable semi vs Spain or Croatia (probably). 1st in group G faces four (or five if Colombia come second) Latin American sides plus France & Portugal in second half. Looks decidedly more challenging.

Deciding issue may be whether Colombia win group. They were very good against Poland, and had rather a false result against Japan. They would be more challenging than Japan or Senegal.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Well that's buggered if we beat Belgium.

Can't see how that would happen with that outcome.

We're currently around 8/1 and 4th= with France to win the tournament. Belgium are around 13/2 behind Spain at 4/1. Brazil are 10/3 fav.

If we beat Belgium, one can't see our odds dropping that much if at all. We'll still be in the competition and so will they.

And we'd still be clear underdogs with the bookies going into a hypothetical QF with favourites Brazil.

Long way to go if and before that happens though.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Read what you have just written, its the biggest load of bollocks I have read in decades of watching England.:wozza:

Think what you like pal. I'd much rather win the world cup than beat Belgium. If taking the so called easier route makes it more possible then I'd take it. Biggest load of bollocks? Yes please.

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
We should be wanting to test ourselves against the best players and teams in the world. We could make it through to the semi or final against 'weaker teams' I agree but this will give us a false sense of where we are at and then we are back to where we have been for the last 50 years. Lets keep our sense of perspective and let these players get some proper experience of what it is like to play the big boys at a big tournament. This way we learn and progress into the future.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Think what you like pal. I'd much rather win the world cup than beat Belgium. If taking the so called easier route makes it more possible then I'd take it. Biggest load of bollocks? Yes please.

Agreed, but we will still have to play one of the big teams eventually, we cannot hide forever if we want to win the damn thing.

If you feel that we aren't good enough to take our place in top half of the draw then we aren't going to win it anyway, so we just as well get back on the plane now.

Tonight could turn out to rival the Denmark v France debacle of two days ago with no side wanting to win.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Agreed, but we will still have to play one of the big teams eventually, we cannot hide forever if we want to win the damn thing.

If you feel that we aren't good enough to take our place in top half of the draw then we aren't going to win it anyway, so we just as well get back on the plane now.

Tonight could turn out to rival the Denmark v France debacle of two days ago with no side wanting to win.

Agreed. Could be farcical. However I think we'll go out to win.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
When Southgate made the point that we hadn't won a knockout match since 2006 I was initially surprised but he makes a very good point. There's really very little point plotting a path through three matches to get to the final when we've historically been incapable of winning one. Keep the momentum. Go for the win and strike a psychological blow to the remaining teams in the tournament. Make them scared of us for a change.

LVGull

May 13, 2016
When Southgate made the point that we hadn't won a knockout match since 2006 I was initially surprised but he makes a very good point. There's really very little point plotting a path through three matches to get to the final when we've historically been incapable of winning one. Keep the momentum. Go for the win and strike a psychological blow to the remaining teams in the tournament. Make them scared of us for a change.

Bravo. Spoken like a pro.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We should be wanting to test ourselves against the best players and teams in the world.
No we shouldn't, we should just be trying to win the world cup.
We could make it through to the semi or final against 'weaker teams' I agree but this will give us a false sense of where we are at and then we are back to where we have been for the last 50 years.
If we were to get through to the final by playing 'weaker teams' then to start with, we have a ****ing chance to win it! And if we don't, we'll be able to point out that we haven't really advanced, we simply played weaker teams.

Lets keep our sense of perspective and let these players get some proper experience of what it is like to play the big boys at a big tournament. This way we learn and progress into the future.
We've played the big boys at big tournaments before, and that hasn't helped us.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Let’s go for the win, rest some of the players, but go for the win. Manipulating positions and conniving isn’t what England is about.

Win or lose, but do it with honesty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here