Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Stephens Vs Pogba,. No contest!

Green Gull

Feb 25, 2018
Has he found his way out of Stephens pocket yet?
Fantastic performance from Mr dependable last night, he bossed Pogba all night long who was an absolute shambles in midfield. I know he's capable of moments of brilliance but my god was he awful, a sulking, overrated prima donna of epic proportions.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
I agree with everything you're saying about Stephens, but I thought Pogba was a joy to watch. Yes he made mistakes, but the way he used his body and moved the ball under pressure was superb.

It reminded me how far we've come, even in the last two or three years.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I agree with everything you're saying about Stephens, but I thought Pogba was a joy to watch. Yes he made mistakes, but the way he used his body and moved the ball under pressure was superb.

Two years? How about the last 8 months, we looked awestruck and out of our depth in the first two games of the season, especially in the Leicester away game. Remarkable turnaround

Green Gull

Feb 25, 2018

Really? I thought he was awful. Yes he has undoubted ability and we saw glimpses of it last night but his distribution was woeful (especially in the first half).
I know he's a fantastic player but his inconsistency and sulking when things don't go his way is shocking. I'd imagine he's very frustrating to watch for United fans.

Stephens had his number all night and was a joy to watch, Has hardly put a foot wrong this season and epitomises everything I love about this club!

Last edited:

HP Seagull

Sep 26, 2008
Two years? How about the last 8 months, we looked awestruck and out of our depth in the first two games of the season, especially in the Leicester away game. Remarkable turnaround

I was thinking longer term, but yes I we've come a long way since the start of the season!

I've got to admit that on the way back from Leicester I wasn't sure how we were going to get enough points, but we've adapted incredibly well. I think there's been a change in mindset since the start of the year too, which has helped. Much like the last couple of years, when we've really come on strong in the second half of the season.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Really? I thought he was awful. Yes he has undoubted ability and we saw glimpses of it last night but his distribution was woeful (especially in the first half).
I know he's a fantastic player but his inconsistency and sulking when things don't go his way is shocking.

Stephens had his number all night and was a joy to watch, Has hardly put a foot wrong this season and epitomises everything I love about this club!

As Le Saux (I think) I think said in the second half of the tv commentary, Pogba has had over half the game to realise that Brighton are in United’s faces but continues to want too much time on the ball and doesn’t seem to realise he’s being closed down every time he has the ball. He needs to play it simple...or words to that effect.

HP Seagull

Sep 26, 2008
I know he's a fantastic player but his inconsistency and sulking when things don't go his way is shocking.

Yep, I don't disagree. I guess I'm focusing more on what he did well. I've not seen many players capable of that (perhaps unsurprisingly) in 20 years of watching the Albion.

Like I say, it just reminded me how far we've come.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought that Pogba was not as impressive as I expected although he had some very good moments and I was very impressed when he had the ball at his feet nobody could get it off of him. On one occasion 4 players tried to do that but he still kept hold of the ball, very impressive.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I thought that Pogba was not as impressive as I expected although he had some very good moments and I was very impressed when he had the ball at his feet nobody could get it off of him. On one occasion 4 players tried to do that but he still kept hold of the ball, very impressive.

I made it 3 or 4 very good moments.

Stephens and Propper had multiple good moments every minute for 90 of them.

I don’t rate Pogba and saw nothing to change my mind yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
As Le Saux (I think) I think said in the second half of the tv commentary, Pogba has had over half the game to realise that Brighton are in United’s faces but continues to want too much time on the ball and doesn’t seem to realise he’s being closed down every time he has the ball. He needs to play it simple...or words to that effect.

That’s how I saw it, struck me that he thinks he has a right to swan about the field, but hassled and harried by Propper & Stephens (who were equally excellent I thought) his decision making was poor.

Their shape was odd too. Whereas Propper/Stephens are a unit, often level with each other, Matic and Pogba looked like two different positions entirely one so deep and often behind the other, it gave us so much space. Hughton got is tactics spot on, but Mourinho, like Wenger actually, just don’t have their teams set up to break with pace and get in behind. We genuinely held them at arms length - if anything, and I’m in danger of getting carried away, the 1-0 scoreline flattered United, it really did.

Let's Have A Winner!

Apr 23, 2006
Burgess Hill
He played one unbelievable pass first half right in front of me, 60/70 yard crossfield ball from near the dugouts towards the East Stand. Undoubtedly has bags of talent but give me Dale and Davy every day!

Stumpy Tim

The problem for Pogba was that he was surrounded by dross, and so he barely had an option. He was trying to do everything himself, but a large part of the reason for that was the woeful movement around him.

Stephens and Propper were both outstanding. We sometimes forget that Propper is a full & current Dutch international. However bad the Dutch are having it, you've still got to be quality to get in that international team.

cowburn86

Sep 30, 2011
Berlin
Stephens has been vital for us this season, while almost going under the radar. The work he does isn't headline grabbing, get you out-of-your-seat stuff but it's absolutely crucial to the way we play, breaking up the opposition and being the link between the defence and the rest of the midfield. Keeping him was one of the most important pieces of business the club have done over the past couple of seasons.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I made it 3 or 4 very good moments.

Stephens and Propper had multiple good moments every minute for 90 of them.

I don’t rate Pogba and saw nothing to change my mind yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Propper's pass up the line to Izquierdo before the goal was a thing of absolute beauty.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton

We were saying the same. Yes he gives it away and Stephens was better on the night without doubt but literally everything goes through Pogba and some of his touches and ball control were sensational.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here