Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What would make you turn your back on the Albion?

What would make you turn your back on the Albion?

• Relegation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Back to back relegation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Players, management, directors becoming embroiled in a hideous cheating scandal

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Takeover by Chinese/Russian/Saudi/etc consortium

Votes: 36 40.9%
  • Giant pitchside flag wavers/CLACKERS!!

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Smug, condescending fans/players/managers, e.g. “we shouldn’t be losing to teams like......”

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Other

Votes: 35 39.8%

• Total voters

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The only scenario I could envisage that would kill my connection to the club would only be if they broke my personal moral code... so if we dropped a player solely because he was gay or black or signed a convicted sex-offender/rapist then I think I would have to "take a break" until there were changes at the top.

Really? I know it;s a grand thing to say but I just don't think I would. Hyperthetically had we signed Chad Evans before he was cleared would you have really stopped going?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Being unjustly and heavy handedly banned by the club for 'a crime' I didn't commit would probably do it.

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Nothing! Like a parent with a nightmare child, you'd have to stand by them.

Me too. To tie this in with the 'club or country' debate on another thread a lot of people on that thread said they used to follow England but then turned their backs. None of the reasons given are particularly huge: didn't like fellow fans, didn't like the players, matches got boring, lack of success - in other words all bog-standard things that can happen to any club and it's supporters.

People will deny it now but the 'England' malaise will eventually happen to us. People will say "yeah I used to go, but I'm not interested now". It's happened before and it'll happen again.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I think the only thing that would make me turn my back on the Albion would be if the Albion were to somehow turn its back on the community. Without that solid bond with the community, the Albion is nothing. IMHO, like.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Yep, something like that.

For that to happen the club would need to be sold to an unscrupulous owner, who don't give a shit about anything but the money.

So, perhaps if somehow the club ended up in the hands of some hideous person or organisation, and they started to rip the heart out of the club, that might at least make me take a break also.

That has happened before and luckily the fans didn't turn their back on the club.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Yep, something like that.

For that to happen the club would need to be sold to an unscrupulous owner, who don't give a shit about anything but the money.

So, perhaps if somehow the club ended up in the hands of some hideous person or organisation, and they started to rip the heart out of the club, that might at least make me take a break also.

I suppose it all depends on what you mean about turning your back on the Albion. During and after the Archer years, many folk clearly voted with their feet in terms of attendance and interest, though Withdean and Gillingham were not ideal, admittedly, but the fact that the club, even during those years still talked of a data base of over 20,000 fans, most of whom came infrequently, showed that the club had not been totally forgotten. I might vote with my feet at another such happening, but would still have the club's (eventual) interest at heart. Though this is controversial, it might also be said that voting with your feet may be in the long term interest, as if the club, like any other business (yes, I know!!) took their "customers" totally for granted, then what is served up on the pitch would be far more likely to be sub-standard.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Wouldn’t be the club, more likely to be professional football in general.

That's already started with me. Other than Brighton, I watch far less football than I ever used to nowadays, mainly because I cannot stand the hype over it all. Every single goal is "absolutely fantastic", every tackle is "out of this World", every save is "unbelievable", and as for SUPER SUNDAY featuring (for example) Burnley v Stoke? Do one.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Absolutely nothing of course. I've supported this club when it had a terrible ground (the last-days Goldstone), loathsome directors and the worst team in the football league. It was those days that kickstarted my support to a higher level, which persists. Support for a club is an intangible concept.
Spot on. My town. My team. If you don’t like what’s happening to it you don’t walk away, you work to change it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The new 2019-2020 season red and blue striped home shirt might make me splutter in my bedtime cocoa a bit.

(.....and on reflection, a second hand Chelsea strip, like we wore the last time we played at this level would be a major downer too).

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Selling the ground without a replacement, almost getting kicked out of the league, and moving to a ground share 100 miles away.........

Wait a minute..........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here