Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite Bands who are deemed 'not cool'

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Iron Maiden For me aswell!. However Maiden seem to have two different levels 1 in music and 1 in fashion.
Right now its very cool for the kids to be seen in Maiden, Ac/dc, motorhead etc. T-shirts even if they are not into the music this seems to happen every 10ish years
Musically Maiden have always been frowned upon by 'the industry' as they sell mega amounts of albums, tickets, dvds without any mainstream radio airplay.

This with bells on! Over 90 million sales worldwide and last two albums went straight to no.1 in over 30 countries. Have seen them 28 times live and they never fail to deliver. Their only sticky patch came in the mid to late 90s when grunge was all the rage and the charismatic multi talented Bruce Dickinson left. Bruce and guitarist Adrian Smith returned for the Brave New World album and they were reborn and since then have attracted a whole new legion of fans and can sell out soccer stadiums..

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Van Der Graaf Generator (and Peter Hammill)
Madonna
Caravan
Prefab Sprout
Killing Joke
Lady Gaga
The Carpenters
Shona Laing
Pride and Fall
The Beach Boys
Bruce Hornsby and the Range (just the one song....)
The Doobie Brothers
The Equals
Dexy's Midnight Runners
The Chefs (from Brighton)
Girls at our best
Thin Lizzy
Velvet Acid Christ
Suicide Commando
Wishbone Ash
Shrink and the Virgin Soldiers (more commonly known as Shrink, but not the US band)
Desmond Dekker and the Aces
UFO
Mahogany Rush (Canadian Hendrix impersonators)
Rush (Canadian impersonators)
Mungo Jerry (the singles)
Colin Blunstone
Kate Bush
Susan Maughan
Dusty
The Ruts
The Piranhas
Hazy Fantazy
Belouis Some
Sigue Sigue Sputnik
Spizz Oil
Spizz Energi
Athletico Spizz 80
The Spizzles
Johnny Moped
The Cravattes
Gentle Giant
Atilla the Stockbroker (sorry John, but you really are naff!)
UK Decay
Claus Nomie

I could go on and on. Most of my musical taste is deeply uncool :lolol:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Lady Gaga
The Carpenters
The Beach Boys
The Doobie Brothers
The Equals
Dexy's Midnight Runners
Thin Lizzy
Desmond Dekker and the Aces
Mungo Jerry (the singles)
Colin Blunstone
Kate Bush
Susan Maughan
Dusty
Hazy Fantazy
Belouis Some
Sigue Sigue Sputnik

How are any of those "uncool"? You've even got the Beach Boys and Kate Bush who are eternally coool. Bloody love all of them. That Belouis Some video especially....

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Indeed, right up there.

Tell you what, Rose Garden is one of my all-time faves and in my top 4* opening lines to a song. "I beg your pardon, I never promised you a rose garden". That is genius.

The other 3:

"Never thought it would happen with me and a girl from Clapham"
"Son I'm 30, I only went with your mother 'cause she's dirty."
"Who gives a f*ck about an Oxford comma?"

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Okay - a few more:

Dina Carroll (one hit wonder had a 90s hit with Don't Be A Stranger)
Laura Branigan (esp. her hit Gloria)
East 17 (House of Love is a big fave)
Moby - but not the thrash metal album he did that I bought, hated and feel that he owes me the money I paid for it
Cicero - another 90s one-hit wonder Love Is Everywhere. Scottish laddie, Hearts fan. Was a Pet Shop Boys protege.
The Proclaimers.
Dollar - I was so in love with Therese Bazaar
Steps - I'm a big fan of the artistic talents of Lisa Scott-Lee and Faye

This one I'm deadly serious about too - Chris De Burgh. His Spanish Train album is monumentally good. I'm not the only one who thinks that [MENTION=20]Publius Ovidius[/MENTION] is a fan too.

And chuck in Phil Collins because I do like his music and I don't care who knows. The Knowing Me Knowing You Genesis-era especially.
Who else? How about Kylie Minogue? Her Confide In Me era was seriously under-rated. That is a very, very good tune indeed.

Were The Drifters ever cool? Love all their stuff.

I'm sure there's more I'll think of soon.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The Carpenters
Abba
REO Speedwagon : only the big ballads!
I did tape the Bros album... yeah, I said it!

All of these and big shout out to a fellow fan of REO Speedwagon's big ballads. I assume we're both talking about "Keep on Loving You"?

And I'm glad you mentioned Bros. I really rate their first album Push. Got some fantastic pop tunes on it: I Owe You Nothing, Drop The Boy, When Will I Be Famous, Cat Among The Pigeons. That Goss lad can sing.

Piece of trivia about Bros. Their hairstyles back then were inspired by Kurt Douglas's haircut in Spartacus. Not a lot of people know that.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Having been around in the 1970s and in to my music, I would have thought Dire Straits were actually relatively cool then - not the coolest, but......

I would agree to a point, I have always felt that Dire Straits were cool up to and including Lover over Gold. However with the release of Brothers in Arms and Money for Nothing they immediately became uncool . As almost everyone loved this album, it must just be me.

Mr Cleansheets

Jun 7, 2017
Jethro Tull and Pink Floyd have never left my sound system for long.

Bowie never goes out of fashion either but he is hardly uncool (although cold now).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here