Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The offside law when passing it around in your own half

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I am constantly amazed by the lack of knowledge of the laws of game by supporters who have been watching football for decades. Poor ref's (not really) getting abused for correctly upholding the laws.

Hmm...For a start I wasn't abusing anyone and secondly, the idea that referees and linesmen always interpret the laws of the game correctly is quite clearly not true. Mistakes happen all the time. I've already mentioned when a linesman flagged offside for a throw-in once and I'll chuck in the Bournemouth penalty at Withdean where the ref didn't know the rules about when the ball is in play in a free-kick position.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Hmm...For a start I wasn't abusing anyone and secondly, the idea that referees and linesmen always interpret the laws of the game correctly is quite clearly not true. Mistakes happen all the time. I've already mentioned when a linesman flagged offside for a throw-in once and I'll chuck in the Bournemouth penalty at Withdean where the ref didn't know the rules about when the ball is in play in a free-kick position.

That was two separate incidents of mistaken bellendery.

It was the Rochdale game where Greer (correctly) got his marching orders and the ref (incorrectly) gave a consequent penalty.

The Bournemouth game was where the linesman convinced the referee (who had correctly called a free-kick, though still contentious as to who it should have been for) to change it to a penalty - when the incident was outside the box; a matter which could have been resolved properly by the correct use of his eyes.

Back to your original questions. Any player inside their own half when a pass is made is not offside (as opposed to 'onside' - there's no such thing within the rules). Whether you saw it right (don't remember the incident), I couldn't say. As for your second question, the rules have changed to the point that they're better explained in practice rather than in writing. A player being 'active' and therefore interfering in play is key, and that's the person over whom any offside decision would be made.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
That was two separate incidents of mistaken bellendery.

It was the Rochdale game where Greer (correctly) got his marching orders and the ref (incorrectly) gave a consequent penalty.

The Bournemouth game was where the linesman convinced the referee (who had correctly called a free-kick, though still contentious as to who it should have been for) to change it to a penalty - when the incident was outside the box; a matter which could have been resolved properly by the correct use of his eyes.

Back to your original questions. Any player inside their own half when a pass is made is not offside (as opposed to 'onside' - there's no such thing within the rules). Whether you saw it right (don't remember the incident), I couldn't say. As for your second question, the rules have changed to the point that they're better explained in practice rather than in writing. A player being 'active' and therefore interfering in play is key, and that's the person over whom any offside decision would be made.

Yes, sorry. I meant Rochdale.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I am constantly amazed by the lack of knowledge of the laws of game by supporters who have been watching football for decades. Poor ref's (not really) getting abused for correctly upholding the laws.

Different sport, I know, but I'm still amazed at the England rugby captain at last year's 6 Nations game against Italy asking the ref for an explanation of the offside law. How can you play a sport at a professional level for years, represent your country and still not know the laws of the game?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here