Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009
I have some problems with the Royal Family too but my point really was that it is better to fix these things than abolish them.

Why fix a problem that simply cant be fixed, besides, how many more chances are we supposed to give them. the EU has been given plenty of chances to restore faith and they fu*ked up miserably each time. about time the whole project was scrapped altogether and thrown in to the dustbin of history
Are you alert to what is going on throughout most of Europe right now, well encase you hadn't noticed ..riots unrest unemployment to name just a few is whats going on, Poland and Hungary will be the next to leave.
The thing is unrepairable it's had it's day and now it's time we moved on.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I suggest you are a fake professor! The whole point is that we are pay and are members of the single market. This saves us literally tens of billions every year. That is why everybody accepts that the economy is going to be hit. We don't just give money for the fun of it. Goodness me.

Please show us where these tens of billions are being saved then,otherwise you are just talking complete bolox,as usual.And whilst talking about your twaddle,house prices are still going up in most of the country.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Please show us where these tens of billions are being saved then,otherwise you are just talking complete bolox,as usual.And whilst talking about your twaddle,house prices are still going up in most of the country.

"Quantifying the impact of the single market
A Treasury paper found that trade in goods was 73 per cent higher between EU member states than would have been the case in a free trade area (where no tariffs but other barriers remain), while trade in services was 16 per cent higher.

An analysis by the OECD of membership of the European Economic Area, found trade in goods was 60 per cent higher than if trading partners simply relied on World Trade Organisation rules."

https://www.ft.com/content/1688d0e4-15ef-11e6-b197-a4af20d5575e

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
A Treasury paper found that trade in goods was 73 per cent higher between EU member states than would have been the case in a free trade area (where no tariffs but other barriers remain), while trade in services was 16 per cent higher.

An analysis by the OECD of membership of the European Economic Area, found trade in goods was 60 per cent higher than if trading partners simply relied on World Trade Organisation rules."

73% of f**k-all is still f**k-all!Anybody can do that!I was asking for proof of his stated figures,as 100%,or in today's parlance 110%,of his waffle is bolox.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Well if the soppy lefties left the man alone for once he wouldn't need to waste such money would he..

Who's bothering him? And even if they were, I'm failing to see the connection between lefties bothering him and him spending our tax money on the questionable EDF . I suppose you mean the £15k on bodyguards? I'm more interested in how he's spending the £2.5M!

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
We could have controlled EU migration far better than we did. We are an island and it would have been simple to check who is coming in and out because we are not part of schengen. This would have reduced the so called pressure on schools and NHS because only contributors would be here. Obviously unemployment is very low and employment is at a record high though so actually these immigrants are nett contributors to the economy. But to argue we could not have reduced the number of seasonal workers is just wrong and shows how little some people know about the debate.

I can't see a government actually reducing immigration intentionally post Brexit because of the massive harm it will do to the economy. I don't just mean the NHS being screwed but I also mean food prices which will inevitably increase. As soon as we see increases in everyday essentials people will realise what a crap idea this is.

So far the only good thing I can see to come from Brexit is the inevitable drop in house prices but this will be coupled with a rise in interest rates so it won't get cheaper for people to live in a house anyway.

Controlled as in waved people through after looking at their passport. In what way would checking people in and out have reduced the very real pressure on schools and the NHS? As you point out the vast majority work, 'Contributers' use public services as well. Eu migration has increased from under ten thousand to the hundreds of thousands. It's also innacurate to claim immigrants who work automatically = net economic benefit. It depends where they come from and what services they use.

There are over 3 million EU citizens resident here, 2.3 million working. Keeping tabs on all these people (cost?) making sure they all fulfill specific criteria in a fast moving transient job market is nigh on impossible so deporting several thousand (cost?) is hardly going to make a difference.

Reducing net immigration down from hundreds of thousands every year would seem a sensible option if you are concerned about housing prices and availability.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
73% of f**k-all is still f**k-all!

Well yes, that's true, but 73% of €3,063,000,000,000 (€3 trillion), is €2,235,990,000,000 - this is the figures they were talking about.

The UK's share of that was €230,000,000,000 - so if the Treasury's own figures are right that this is 73% higher than it would have been in a free trade area but out of the EU, that means we'd lose €97,000,000,000 of trade... and that's just goods (i.e. doesn't include services).

(All figures from the link 5ways gave, and links on that page to support their own article's figures)

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Don't do what I do

Just do what I say

Its little surprise him and Trump get on so well, the guy is like an infected insect bite that won't heal

Mr Farage actually wanted us to make him and his fellow trough dwellers redundant .... Leave voters obliged whereas Remainers would have guaranteed his job for many many more years. :shrug:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
We could have controlled EU migration far better than we did. We are an island and it would have been simple to check who is coming in and out because we are not part of schengen. This would have reduced the so called pressure on schools and NHS because only contributors would be here. Obviously unemployment is very low and employment is at a record high though so actually these immigrants are nett contributors to the economy. But to argue we could not have reduced the number of seasonal workers is just wrong and shows how little some people know about the debate.

I can't see a government actually reducing immigration intentionally post Brexit because of the massive harm it will do to the economy. I don't just mean the NHS being screwed but I also mean food prices which will inevitably increase. As soon as we see increases in everyday essentials people will realise what a crap idea this is.

So far the only good thing I can see to come from Brexit is the inevitable drop in house prices but this will be coupled with a rise in interest rates so it won't get cheaper for people to live in a house anyway.

And of course, the larger part of our immigration is non-EU which is supposedly the controlled part.

All the talk about the Australian style points system.....take a look at their figures and per capita they are way higher than ours

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Analysis from two organisations that predicted the impact of a Brexit vote meant we should be currently in a recession.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
And of course, the larger part of our immigration is non-EU which is supposedly the controlled part.

All the talk about the Australian style points system.....take a look at their figures and per capita they are way higher than ours

Prime example how you pluck figures with flawed analysis and then serve them up as fact.

Why would you use a comparison against Australia and use a 'per capita' formula, surely you might at least consider population density as some sort of starter gage of whom might be able to accept greater numbers of migrants against other countries that perhaps cannot, but of course the vastness of Australia would quickly invalidate your claim.

By your formula those that already have higher population density might be obliged to take more whilst those with less take less, its absurd.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Analysis from two organisations that predicted the impact of a Brexit vote meant we should be currently in a recession.

]We haven't left yet, and it is becoming obvious to everyone that there is no economic upside to Brexit. Many businesses have delayed orders or prepared plans to move business overseas so the structural damage to the UK economy is underway.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I'm sure you are right but I can't take criticism of his and many others supposedly dodgy practises too seriously from people whose voting choice would have guaranteed them continuing.

You can want to stay in the EU whilst also wanting Farage to stop taking the utter piss though.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Also interested to know how Brexit dept is going to make up revenue lost by damage to the City if we leave SM.

"The City of London may lose up to £18 billion in revenue and up to 30,000 jobs by leaving the single market (Oliver Wyman 2016). Our analysis suggests that these estimates account for about 15 percent of financial sector revenue and 3 percent of employment in the City. Other estimates show similar magnitudes: £14–20 billion in revenue and 70,000 jobs lost (PWC 2016) or 83,000 jobs lost (EY 2017)."

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2017/...eat-to-the-city-of-london-is-now-uncertainty/

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
]We haven't left yet, and it is becoming obvious to everyone that there is no economic upside to Brexit. Many businesses have delayed orders or prepared plans to move business overseas so the structural damage to the UK economy is underway.

The predicted recession was for after the vote not after we left.

You can want to stay in the EU whilst also wanting Farage to stop taking the utter piss though.

Fair point although I would have thought there are bigger streams of p*ss to worry about. The EU commissioners claiming 500,000 Euros in two months for instance.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here