Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] How drunk do you get when flying?

How drunk do you get when flying?

• I like to properly get on it

Votes: 25 17.0%
  • I might have a tipple or two

Votes: 71 48.3%
  • I don't drink when flying

Votes: 51 34.7%

• Total voters

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's a MASSIVE British tradition that whatever time you get to the airport, you have a drink.

Teenagers going to Malaga, old dears heading to Tenerife for the winter, families off on a five star jaunt, students....being students, businessmen on their way back from a meeting somewhere.

Airport = drink.

This. Well apart from maybe 'the businessmen on their way back' thing.

The people whacking back pints in airside Spoons are already on holiday. For many, their trip will have often been months in the planning. Maybe their only trip of the year. Maybe they've had to drive a fair distance or take a connecting flight to be able to take advantage of Gatwick's cheap and plentiful flight options. Long check-in queue, all that 100ml liquid and removal of belts and put your phone in your hand luggage or out of your hand luggage and all the rest of the general hoopla at Security. No wonder they kick back at airside Spoons and enjoy a pint.
For huge numbers of people, navigating an airport is a grim and stressful business. IMHO they fully deserve that pint :cheers:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I think alcohol should be banned on all flights.

Dunno paying 5 quid for a blossom hill in a plastic glass keeps airfares down for the rest of us. Personally really can't be bothered to drink on the plane, you get dehydrated and feel like crap

Not much when I go on me hols, not enough time in departures, and warm cans of London Pride in the air don't do it for me.

The worst I've ever been was coming back from Guernsey (v Peacehaven) if was LGW I probably wouldn't have been allowed to fly, but this was the last flight of the day out of an airport the size of Shoreham so they just shoved me through. Luckily there were no comebacks for anyone as even after a skinful I'm quite mild mannered, so I put my headphones on and kept my mouth shut

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Dunno paying 5 quid for a blossom hill in a plastic glass keeps airfares down for the rest of us. Personally really can't be bothered to drink on the plane, you get dehydrated and feel like crap

Glass of water with every glass of wine......works for me on the 10 hour+ flights [emoji106][emoji106]

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
True......I do the same on holiday trips as well though...

Then very poor show, is all I can say :p

Do you also follow the same official advice that says (or at least used to) that advocates spending no longer than 30 minutes in the sun on the first day of your holiday, then gradually increasing that sun exposure by 30 minutes per day or somesuch BS? :moo:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Then very poor show, is all I can say :p

Do you also follow the same official advice that says (or at least used to) that advocates spending no longer than 30 minutes in the sun on the first day of your holiday, then gradually increasing that sun exposure by 30 minutes per day or somesuch BS? :moo:

Haha, nope.......barbecue for several hours, usually without much suncream. Two days of being a bit burned, then I go brown and I'm ok after that. [emoji23][emoji23]

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Haha, nope.......barbecue for several hours, usually without much suncream. Two days of being a bit burned, then I go brown and I'm ok after that. [emoji23][emoji23]

Same here. I moisturise in the evening and morning though.

Talking of which....back to the sun lounger.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
That's a terrific fare to NZ. A great example of departing from a non UK location.

Terrific indeed. Especially when Adelaide is in Australia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 7, 2003
Flights are fun and relaxing I find. But airports are tedious. Someone once said to me if you've never missed a flight you're spending too long in airports....I agree.

I fly a fair amount for work these days - fun and relaxing are not the words I would use. I don't really like flying. I have no fear of flying, I just generally find it boring. I generally sleep through most of my short haul flights - nod off as soon as we push back and wake up just before landing. Noise cancelling headphones are a necessity to drown out not just aircraft noise but some really tiresome people who seem to think everyone is interested on what they have to say.

I prefer the airport experience but that is because I like people watching. I try to avoid Gatwick these days as EasyJet brigade seems to have dragged down the behaviour around the airport and also it is more of an overheated shopping mall than a departure lounge. No wonder people turn to drink there.

I like T5 and T2 at Heathrow, Frankfurt T1 is good but T2 is pretty poor. Zurich is very nice but Basel is a bit basic. Manchester T3 is possibly the worst place I have ever flown from.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
Usually this for me too, although depending on arrival time and work requirements when I get there. Typically travel for work trips on Saturday or Sunday afternoon/evening (whether East or West) and almost always long haul so a couple of hours in the fantastic T5 BA First lounge on the champagne, then more on the plane, watch a film or two then sleep for the rest of the flight (pop a melatonin tablet). Never been drunk though, just pleasantly 'relaxed'.

Not sure how you spend £17.50 on tax though ? Typically £250 or more on top of the Avios for a long haul flight ?

BA Amex card is brilliant for collecting airmiles, and you get a free companion ticket every year providing you spend enough on it. This, coupled with the Avios I get from my work trips mean I can usually get business/first flights for holiday trips too.

I use this lots but am thinking of changing loyalty.
Ba is total pants now.
Tired planes surly / unhappy staff.
Just been to Caribbean with them. Flew premium but it was terrible. The seat back screens did not work for 2 hours of the flight and.....
They ran out of booze! The cabin staff said Ba are about to start charging for drinks/food on long haul.

Will use up my companion vouchers and remaining miles and will search for better.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ba is yotal pants now.
Tired planes surely unhappy staff.
Just been to Caribbean with them. Flew premium but it was terrible. The seat back screens did not work for 2 hours of the flight and.....
They ran out of booze! The cabin staff said Ba are about to start charging for drinks/food on long haul.

Will use up my companion vouchers and remaining miles and will search for better.

Agreed, definitely deteriorating......also heard about the plans to start charging for food and drink on long haul (only in economy though apparently). Got a few BA staffers as pals, I'll see what I can find out.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
Agreed, definitely deteriorating......also heard about the plans to start charging for food and drink on long haul (only in economy though apparently). Got a few BA staffers as pals, I'll see what I can find out.

Sunday times slates BA today.
Dropping fast down customer satisfaction charts
Interview with chairman makes interesting reading.
Scarey times ahead fir BA I think.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sunday times slates BA today.
Dropping fast down customer satisfaction charts
Interview with chairman makes interesting reading.
Scarey times ahead fir BA I think.

The chairman is a grade a cock imho.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
No one would ever visit Australia again Mike

I was on an 18 hour part of a 2 leg flight coming back here with a drunk yob sat in front of me.
Even though he was clearly drunk they kept giving him more.
I made a comment to the steward serving him and got a barrage of abuse from him, as he didn't want his supply cut off.
After a bit, when the in flight meal was being served, he decided it was time to sleep it off and was in the process of fully reclining his seat back.
I allowed it to come back a couple of notches and then stopped it with my foot.
As a result I got a load more abuse but my foot was not moving.
He said that when the flight was over he would meet me on leaving the plane and sort it out.
I didn't expect anything else really, said nothing and was quite prepared for it, as I'm no slouch and was getting pretty peeved by then.
The plane landed at Perth and I was preparing myself mentally for the ensuing confrontation when he leapt out of his seat and headed for the front of the plane.
As soon as the door was open he was out and gone.
I left calmly with all the other passengers but was keeping aware waiting for something to happen.
I collected my luggage and there was no sign of him.
I was just going through customs and I spotted him in the company of a couple of police officers.
He had a case in his possession that wasn't his, he legged it to luggage reclaim, grabbed the first suitcase that came out and bolted for the exit, was caught and arrested.
I gave him a wry grin as I passed and wished him a nice stay in his new hostel.
Made all the crap on the flight worth while
No alcohol, no alcohol induced problems.

Ba is total pants now.
Tired planes surly / unhappy staff.

Your not wrong but the beauty of the BA loyalty program is you don't have to fly BA!

There are some great one world airlines. It is a shame BA isn't one of them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here