Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How on earth can £37.4 mllion be spent on not building a bridge?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
So with £37.4m already spent would I be right in saying that the bridge is almost complete and they are just abandoning planting trees on it? Or they haven't even dug the foundations?

The thing about the civil service machinations is... firstly they'll have a consultation, thereafter they will have many consultations, all paying consultants over a grand a day. Somewhere down the line they will come to the decision making, this may take several months or years, they'll contract more consultants at over a grand a day. Those consultants will then report back to the London council on their findings, who will employ contractors on over a grand a day to mull over the findings. This will take several months and a few more contractors on over a grand a day to take a decision. They will hang this out because they are earning a fortune on the back of tax payers money. Finally after 37.4 million is spent they'll say it was a waste of time.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Boris vanity project

Yep ! And when finished he could have watered it with those water cannons he bought at great expense from the Germans !

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The thing about the civil service machinations is... firstly they'll have a consultation, thereafter they will have many consultations, all paying consultants over a grand a day. Somewhere down the line they will come to the decision making, this may take several months or years, they'll contract more consultants at over a grand a day. Those consultants will then report back to the London council on their findings, who will employ contractors on over a grand a day to mull over the findings. This will take several months and a few more contractors on over a grand a day to take a decision. They will hang this out because they are earning a fortune on the back of tax payers money. Finally after 37.4 million is spent they'll say it was a waste of time.

Expect precisely this with the A27 improvements scheme, lots of " Experts " will be laughing.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

So not even foundations dug then for £37.4m. What a larf.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Mrs LLF and me consulted on decorating the front room, but decided not to.

Where do I send my claim?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Government waste money, shock horror

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Just add this to the list of overspent London vanity projects (see also Wembley Stadium, Olympic Stadium, Millennium Dome).

Politicians + Civil Service + Arty Types = Guaranteed overspend.

To be fair to the Civil Servants, they are only doing the Politicians' bidding, and have to whether they like it or not.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
I know some of you love to bear bait on a particular political party. But this isn't about Tories or Labour, money was sieved through the Labour Govt. too. This is about an elite of the civil service allowing millions, billions, to just slip through the system.

If Boris hadn't been driving it, the Civil Service would not have spent anything. And I don't think Labour had anything to do with this particular project.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Shame on the Labour Mayor playing party politics & not supporting the project.

Not supporting the project with Londoners money!!!! Costs likely to exceed the original £185m substantially and the accounts for the 17 months prior to March 2016 (whilst Boris was still Mayor) show the project unlikely to be viable. Spank in excess of £250 on a bridge no one needs or cut the losses to the public purse. No brainer, at least for some.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I love the fact that you're all here moaning about it after you all voted for it

:angel:

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I take it nobody has walked the high line in New York... big tourist attraction and beautiful. But hey, doesn't matter who you support, they are all happy to waste millions already spent on a good idea just to try and win a point. ****ing politicians, all liars and all self seeking tossers on the take any way they can.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I take it nobody has walked the high line in New York... big tourist attraction and beautiful. But hey, doesn't matter who you support, they are all happy to waste millions already spent on a good idea just to try and win a point. ****ing politicians, all liars and all self seeking tossers on the take any way they can.

Have you read the report then ?

Here is a snippet for you :)

I deeply regret that Boris Johnson, the London Mayor ultimately responsible for all the decisions and actions taken on the Garden Bridge refused to co-operate with this review, either in person or in writing and despite several requests. In the absence of any input from the former mayor, inevitably my judgments of his actions are based on the papers I have seen and the evidence given to me by those others that were involved and co-operated with this review.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Fascinating people just starting to realise what a waste of space the government is

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here