Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton: "I have no doubts we'll be ready come that first game of the season."

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This. Our squad as it stands is one of the worst in the league, the only team worse on paper is maybe Rotherham. The team will struggle to muster 8 goals in 10 games. The strike force is non existent. The midfield is ok as is the defence but the goalkeeping area is also very weak. We have signed 5 players with the only tested one being Rosenior, the other 4 are punts, much like last season. With Hughton's basic plan to defend and try and sneak 1 goal if possible in a game, it could be a very rude awakening to some, let's see where we are in October and then judge. Anyone that thinks this squad is within light years of being top 6 is deluded I am afraid

Just let the club get on with it Uncle. We've told the them til we're blue in the face. If they want to keep doing things on the cheap then good luck with that and with the property portfolio. Doing things on the cheap this season will mean saying cheerio to many of the lanyards and much of the 1901 'club'. Oh, and Championship status also. :wave:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
In fact I remember being very harsh about the squad strength on my blog report and on here. I just re-read it and apparently my NSC post that evening got over 40 thumbs up. It read:

"When you start with Shamir Fenelon and O’Grady in the Championship where once it was Barnes and Ulloa you are going backwards. When you have to play your reserve right back as a left wing back you are going backwards. When you play another ex-devteam squad player as one of two holding midfielders when his major weakness is tackling you are going backwards. When you no longer have Mathew Upson reading the game and controlling the spine you are going backwards. When your answer to this is to put on an overweight, out of favour player with the pace of a snail on mogadon and who cannot accurately pass a bottle of port you are going backwards."

We are nowhere near that desperate a situation at the moment. IMHO like :)

Yet, we managed to win two League matches and two cup matches that August. It all went downhill after that.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Just let the club get on with it Uncle. We've told the them til we're blue in the face. If they want to keep doing things on the cheap then good luck with that and with the property portfolio. Doing things on the cheap this season will mean saying cheerio to many of the lanyards and much of the 1901 'club'. Oh, and Championship status also. :wave:

I will but have we actually spent any money ? Any at all ? What I don't understand is some fans seem to think we have signed a load of Worldbeaters and the squad is much stronger, we signed 1 decent pro, Rosenior, 2 development players and 2 complete punts on a couple of strikers from other leagues. Who have our rivals signed ? As it was we had statistically the worst squad in the league as of Summer this year. Hughton is very very cautious, I feel it will be a long season and midtable with this squad and manager would be a massive achievement. Still time will tell, we had this last season when the " bedwetters " were slaughtered and look what happened

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton

That's pretty much how I feel too. If we get relegated the club will only have itself to blame. If we, as fans, can all see that the current squad isn't strong enough goodness knows why the club can't? Without further significant investment in players, I forecast a bottom 6 finish for us in the coming season...and just 3 points in the first month of the campaign, if we're lucky.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yet, we managed to win two League matches and two cup matches that August. It all went downhill after that.

So? We were talking about the first GAME not the first MONTH.

But, yes, since you mention it the squad continued to regress. Chucking a load of loans and has beens at that starting point was never going to work. I really don't think what we have now is worse than what we had at the end of August last year. Do you>

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I will but have we actually spent any money ? Any at all ? What I don't understand is some fans seem to think we have signed a load of Worldbeaters and the squad is much stronger, we signed 1 decent pro, Rosenior, 2 development players and 2 complete punts on a couple of strikers from other leagues. Who have our rivals signed ? As it was we had statistically the worst squad in the league as of Summer this year. Hughton is very very cautious, I feel it will be a long season and midtable with this squad and manager would be a massive achievement. Still time will tell, we had this last season when the " bedwetters " were slaughtered and look what happened
You've missed out the goalie or if he's the decent pro then it's Bong who's omitted ..still somewhat light in quality I fear

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

'Free transfers' are not free. There is a signing on fee, wages and agents fees to pay.

If you want to see what the other Championship clubs are doing, then Google it. They haven't all been spending millions.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You've missed out the goalie or if he's the decent pro then it's Bong who's omitted ..still somewhat light in quality I fear

Rosenior IS the one decent pro we've signed.

As [MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION] correctly said, the rest of the signings really are "cross your fingers" style punts again that may or may not come off. The recurring factor is that the club does not have the finance, desire or wherewithal any more to sign players of proven ability at this level. So far, once again, its L1 standard, kids, or cheap (free) foreigners.

Then there'll be the loans. Lots of loans.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
We already had two or maybe even three decent goalies. How many do we NEED? Sake! :rolleyes:

Wo do keepers. It's strikers we have a problem with.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We already had two or maybe even three decent goalies. How many do we NEED? Sake! :rolleyes:

Surely you understand a 19 year old going on loan to get experience? Three keepers are needed for cover for injury & illness, but then you know that from reading Nsc for years.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So? We were talking about the first GAME not the first MONTH.

But, yes, since you mention it the squad continued to regress. Chucking a load of loans and has beens at that starting point was never going to work. I really don't think what we have now is worse than what we had at the end of August last year. Do you>

I think we look stronger. We even have our own LB now, which has got to be an improvement.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
This. Our squad as it stands is one of the worst in the league, the only team worse on paper is maybe Rotherham. The team will struggle to muster 8 goals in 10 games. The strike force is non existent. The midfield is ok as is the defence but the goalkeeping area is also very weak. We have signed 5 players with the only tested one being Rosenior, the other 4 are punts, much like last season. With Hughton's basic plan to defend and try and sneak 1 goal if possible in a game, it could be a very rude awakening to some, let's see where we are in October and then judge. Anyone that thinks this squad is within light years of being top 6 is deluded I am afraid
Totally agree although I think many are seriously overrating our midfield as kayal is the only real known quality...Ince blows hot and cold,crofts is very slow and offers little,Stephens goes missing a lot and offers little,jfc is crap etc etc.You have ageing Calderon on the right wing in which is getting stupid now:nono:
If kayal gets crocked which is highly possible then we'll be awful in midfield and a league 1 midfield:down:

According to my bees buddy the striker and wingers that Brentford signed recently played brilliant on Saturday against Stoke and with lots of pace and skill....They'll do very well next season as they have pace and skill and that's everything we don't have.
Our scouting is way behind other clubs as we normally sign ageing players who want a last big pay day...We never learn do we?

Get ready for signing overpaid rejects at the death again this season:(

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Same old gormless rosy-tinted bullshit every season tho, to be fair. Jam tomorrow and all that.

This is everything that is wrong with NSC. There's no debate. If you're not in the in crowd and attacking the club, you get abuse like this. It's pathetic.

For what it's worth, as others have said we clearly have a stronger squad than this time last year. It's not enough and nobody is saying we don't need more players, particularly attacking ones.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

If we're playing 4-4-2 we need to get Walton back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here