Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Being JFC

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The main issue with JFC among people I speak to is that he was a player who looked immensely promising when he first made the squad but hadn't developed as hoped for whatever reason and that it wasn't helping him to keep being picked when he was struggling in a struggling team.

Everybody surely wants him to succeed and play well, but although he does so in the England under-21 team, it hasn't happened for him recently with us. That could be because of the coaching, the amount of pressure on him, or the quality of the players around him. I'm told he didn't exactly shine on loan at Oxford, so maybe he's one of those players who raises his game in better teams. Most likely he thrives on confidence and the Amex crowd (and I've been guilty) doesn't exactly give him that.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Still have absolutely NO IDEA what sort of midfielder role suits JFC? Any thoughts?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Halcyon

Who let the Doug out?
Jul 22, 2008
Teesside
I was at the game last night and thought he had a tidy if unspectacular game. Sitting in front of the back four he mostly made short passes to release players like Ward-Prowse and Hughes - reminded me a bit in part like the role Bridcutt used to play for us, receiving the ball from the defence and short passes to release play. Apart from a misplaced first pass of the game, thought at times he showed good strength and ability on the ball (at one point holding off 3 German players) and had a helping hand in the 3rd goal.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The one he plays for England?

According to some people he "wins possession" for them. How does that work? I'm genuinely not looking to have a go at the fella as I think he has some ability but tackling isn't high on his list of attributes for me.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
According to some people he "wins possession" for them. How does that work? I'm genuinely not looking to have a go at the fella as I think he has some ability but tackling isn't high on his list of attributes for me.

Listening on 5Live last night, the Radio Teesside commentators mentioned him winning tackles several times. I can remember at least three occasions during the game, because I was thinking 'good'.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Still have absolutely NO IDEA what sort of midfielder role suits JFC? Any thoughts?

This one;

I was at the game last night and thought he had a tidy if unspectacular game. Sitting in front of the back four he mostly made short passes to release players like Ward-Prowse and Hughes - reminded me a bit in part like the role Bridcutt used to play for us, receiving the ball from the defence and short passes to release play. Apart from a misplaced first pass of the game, thought at times he showed good strength and ability on the ball (at one point holding off 3 German players) and had a helping hand in the 3rd goal.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

Maybe his physique allows him to play that role against u21 players but he's not (yet) strong enough to do that in the Championship ???

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This one;

Baffling. Why has he so rarely done this for us? He's looked at his best for us when he first came through, as an attacking midfielder gobbling up chances behind the strikers.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Maybe his physique allows him to play that role against u21 players but he's not (yet) strong enough to do that in the Championship ???

The German team he was up against last night was full of top flight experience.
Personally I've always seen JFC as an attacking player arriving in the box, but that deep role he plays with England could be interesting especially with quality players (kayal and Stephens) in front of him

theyellowdinosaur

Nov 29, 2011
The German team he was up against last night was full of top flight experience.
Personally I've always seen JFC as an attacking player arriving in the box, but that deep role he plays with England could be interesting especially with quality players (kayal and Stephens) in front of him

I think Ince is a better defensive midfielder than JFC, however I think that JFC should watch how Kayal plays as he can learn a lot from him, its just annoying seeing JFC perform for England then not perform for us. I don't agree with that JFC is a poor player he just seems to be anonymous in games.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Bloom is right to express caution about criticism of JFC and trusting the judgement of CH. Chris O Grady and David Stockdale to a certain extent are only the latest in a very long line of players who have gone from zero to hero amongst fans (admittedly only the ones that make their opinions known publicly) who realised that they aren't half bad after all.
Even poor old Sam Baldock had started to win over some of the doubters before his injury. Things change.

PS: When is the last time Albion had an England U21 regular by the way ? -

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Bloom is right to express caution about criticism of JFC and trusting the judgement of CH. Chris O Grady and David Stockdale to a certain extent are only the latest in a very long line of players who have gone from zero to hero amongst fans (admittedly only the ones that make their opinions known publicly) who realised that they aren't half bad after all.
Even poor old Sam Baldock had started to win over some of the doubters before his injury. Things change.

PS: When is the last time Albion had an England U21 regular by the way ? -

Harding and Zamora?

Hinshelwood got one call up I think, then got injured.

Latest International Update, focusing on Forster-Caskey, here;

http://www.northstandchat.com/conte...Forster-Caskey-continues-to-shine-for-England

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I always find the JFC debate a strange one to be honest, the defenders of the lad don't really have anything to back up their support unless I missed something yet feel righteous in knocking any negativity.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I always find the JFC debate a strange one to be honest, the defenders of the lad don't really have anything to back up their support unless I missed something yet feel righteous in knocking any negativity.

The fact that he holds his own, in an otherwise Premiership quality midfield for England doesn't count?

What about the fact he made 31 appearances at the age of 19, for a side good enough to finish sixth in the Championship? Or do you feel they achieved that despite his presence, rather than in part, through it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here