Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So who is going to do the Brighton Marathon 2014?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just entered 2014 Brighton. £50 + rip off booking fee. £10 cheaper for first 2,000. £60 after. Now to shave that time down from 4:08:47 to a more respectable 3:40:00.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Your right about the bike course for the Marina and would definitely recommend some sprint triathlons to start with and also have a go at the cycle route ( I think its 2 laps so you can try one) as it is quite tough. Both Raw Energy Pursuits and Mid Sussex Triathlon run some great local sprint triathlons as well as the Virgin Active Triathlon at Falmer (although that is also a challenging cycle). I would not worry too much about the split training sessions but concentrate on one event at a time. I sometimes will split it into the morning and evening sessions but rarely train one sport after an another. Good luck, it's a great sport to get into and very friendly.

Thanks for this by the way, what sort of bike should I get if I just want to take part for the challenge rather than compete. A cyclist at work suggested a mountain bike with slick tires which sounds sensible, generally been advised to steer clear of hybrids.

^^ knew that but wasn't sure how to differentiate between the two.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Already signed up for my 5th Brighton Marathon with my charity Right To Play...got to beat this years 3.56.44!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yeah it's a fair point I didn't run much after 15 miles but I did complete. You won't find the name Noele Hawker in the finishers of any of the Brighton Marathons. Although he has apparently ran loads of marathons. He just can't prove.

As you well know, I am trying to complete the Majors series. Once this is done I will run Brighton.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I haven't ironed out the finer details yet, but I'll be running it for two charities, combining it with a triathlon immediately beforehand for the added challenge.

It's fair to say that I won't be improving on Sunday's 3:57:37 in 2014...

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Thanks for this by the way, what sort of bike should I get if I just want to take part for the challenge rather than compete. A cyclist at work suggested a mountain bike with slick tires which sounds sensible, generally been advised to steer clear of hybrids.

^^ knew that but wasn't sure how to differentiate between the two.

Get a proper road bike; they're so much lighter and faster than mountain bikes - even the entry level models. It's also worth getting some proper bike shoes with cleats that clip into the pedals; this makes a surprisingly big difference to your pedal power.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yeah it's a fair point I didn't run much after 15 miles but I did complete. You won't find the name Noele Hawker in the finishers of any of the Brighton Marathons. Although he has apparently ran loads of marathons. He just can't prove.

In fact. Fancy going head to head?

robynsdad

Jan 29, 2012
Just signed up for 2014. Oh dear. Will be my first full marathon. I'm not much of a runner, but I have an ambition to complete an iron man triathlon in next five years, so at some point i have to bite the bullet and improve my running. As a fairly crap and recent triathlete, i would back up the advise - a decent road bike (even at the cheaper end of the scale) with pedal clips will be a far better choice than any hybrid or mountain bike.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Anyone had a read of the FAQ?

Can I use my iPod or similar device on race day?
No, we do not advocate the use of headphones on the day, due to health and safety, plus there are plenty of entertainment sites and crowds to cheer you on. In addition, wearing anything that isolates you from the sounds of the day would mean that you would miss out on the marathon atmosphere.

:shrug:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This head to head is a great challenge. What times are we looking at? Which marathon? Injury counts as a loss.

I'm running Chicago (subject to entry) and NYC (guaranteed entry) in 2014. I'm happy to accept a challenge for a good cause.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sorry I am not accepting a challenge but enjoying hove born and bred's challenge with you! He needs to state his aim.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
To those who have run a marathon a question.

When watching it it looks like the most boring sporting activity ever to participate in.

What kind of mind games go on when running it?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
London was going to be my last but I was disappointed with my time so have booked Brighton again for next year.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
So who is?

And [MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION] - I've not seen a single post from this year's (10?) REMF runners about fund-raising. Are you on track to equal or SMASH last year's £6000 raised?

I'm tempted to have another go.

I hate all the training, but I'll see all the runners & the fun & games on the day and wish I was a part of it.

How about you, [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] ? :D

Entry for 2014 opens on the 8th April...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here