Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Froch vs Groves Rematch

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Just read on BBC Sport

"The Froch and Groves camps have been in discussions over a rematch in May, with Arsenal's Emirates Stadium and Nottingham Forest's City Ground touted as possible venues, no deal has hyet been agreed."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/26035952

I would love a London fight, but can't see it happening as Froch would'nt want three quarters of the crowd made up of cokneys shouting abuse at him.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Unless the No Contest appeal has changed anything, Fast Eddie has until Saturday to agree terms, otherwise it goes to purse bids. The offer that was made to Groves - whether or not you think it was co-incidental that it was made the day before the IBF ordered the rematch - would have been worthless if it had been worth £50 million, because it would have included all sorts of clauses (rematches, fights favouring Matchroom but not necessarily him etc) which would have affected his career in a way no amount of money could have made up for.

Froch will almost certainly vacate because Groves will beat him in three or four rounds if they fight again. All Groves is doing, in turning down the bid and appealing to the IBF for a NC, is taking a stand against the stupid game boxing has become in this country, where fighters get out twice a year because of all the wrangling that goes on. Eddie is Carl's best mate, Groves knows he isn't really looking out for him (until Carl retires, when Groves will be the biggest British fighter financially.) The people who expressed outrage at the way the fight happened are now questioning Groves for being stubborn, which seems a bit odd.

Degale is fighting some Dutch plumber in Bristol on March 1 because his eliminator against Badou Jack is going to purse bids next month. The winner of that will fight Bika for the WBC. If Ch-ch-ch-chunky wins the WBC he might get another fight with Groves, but there's just as much chance he'll get beaten before then.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Unless the No Contest appeal has changed anything, Fast Eddie has until Saturday to agree terms, otherwise it goes to purse bids. The offer that was made to Groves - whether or not you think it was co-incidental that it was made the day before the IBF ordered the rematch - would have been worthless if it had been worth £50 million, because it would have included all sorts of clauses (rematches, fights favouring Matchroom but not necessarily him etc) which would have affected his career in a way no amount of money could have made up for.

Froch will almost certainly vacate because Groves will beat him in three or four rounds if they fight again. All Groves is doing, in turning down the bid and appealing to the IBF for a NC, is taking a stand against the stupid game boxing has become in this country, where fighters get out twice a year because of all the wrangling that goes on. Eddie is Carl's best mate, Groves knows he isn't really looking out for him (until Carl retires, when Groves will be the biggest British fighter financially.) The people who expressed outrage at the way the fight happened are now questioning Groves for being stubborn, which seems a bit odd.

Degale is fighting some Dutch plumber in Bristol on March 1 because his eliminator against Badou Jack is going to purse bids next month. The winner of that will fight Bika for the WBC. If Ch-ch-ch-chunky wins the WBC he might get another fight with Groves, but there's just as much chance he'll get beaten before then.

DeGale has disappeared from the face of the earth into obscurity, not sure what he is earning from Hennessey but it will be difficult to make a mega fight out of Groves II.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
DeGale has disappeared from the face of the earth into obscurity, not sure what he is earning from Hennessey but it will be difficult to make a mega fight out of Groves II.

Only the fact they ****ing hate each other, and it makes great TV, seeing Degale make a **** of himself.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Only the fact they ****ing hate each other, and it makes great TV, seeing Degale make a **** of himself.

But it's not a mega stadium fight like Groves v Froch II would be, that is the grudge match to end all grudge matches. DeGale is all talk but fighting bums for the past 2 years has got him nowhere, he needs to sign with Hearns or Warren again

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
DeGale has been managed appalingly although does look like getting a title shot relatively soon and a Groves rematch could be huge in a year or more. On the Froch situation I would absolutely LOVE IT if the BBBOC did call a No Contest but never gonna happen as they backed Howard after the fight. Froch has lost an army of supporters with his arrogance and inability to give Groves any credit or acknowledge what we all saw that night. If he swerves a rematch and vacates he'll lose any credibility he ever had. I hope Groves smashes him into retirement.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
DeGale has been managed appalingly although does look like getting a title shot relatively soon and a Groves rematch could be huge in a year or more. On the Froch situation I would absolutely LOVE IT if the BBBOC did call a No Contest but never gonna happen as they backed Howard after the fight. Froch has lost an army of supporters with his arrogance and inability to give Groves any credit or acknowledge what we all saw that night. If he swerves a rematch and vacates he'll lose any credibility he ever had. I hope Groves smashes him into retirement.

Even in the robust world of boxing I dont think it helps that Degale makes Kevin Pieterson look like Gandhi when it comes to peace and harmony in the workplace. I doubt even Fergie could manage him, he will look back on a career that he well and truly f***** himself.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Even in the robust world of boxing I dont think it helps that Degale makes Kevin Pieterson look like Gandhi when it comes to peace and harmony in the workplace. I doubt even Fergie could manage him, he will look back on a career that he well and truly f***** himself.

Agree with all of that. Every time I see an interview with Degale he is going on about stepping it up and how he will stop treading water now - then the next you hear of him he is fighting some utter no-one... His stupid little urban accent annoys me as well. If Groves doesn't get his rematch with Froch I hope he fights Degale again (not that he deserves it) and ends his sorry career.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here