Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Naylor slags off Amex support

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I've been to many grounds in my time and the one things that gets me is that home support around most grounds is flatter than the away support. But much of that depends on the team you're playing.

People are saying that MK was amazing, but in the first half, I thought the atmosphere was a bit of a damp squib and I actually thought that when we went up to the Valley a couple of years ago on Boxing Day.

I remember going to Anfield when we played them in the cup and thinking, where's the famous wall of noise from the Kop. It was dead...However, I'm sure that had it have been Man Utd or Everton they'dve been playing on that day that the atmosphere would have been more intense.
[MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION] is spot on in a previous post...People go on about atmosphere at the Amex, but other than maybe a dozen or so games from the mid to late 80's-90's I can't remember the Goldstone being that intense...Those that say otherwise are looking through hazy rose coloured glasses.

As for the AMEX...I've sat in all sections bar the East Upper and I think that the stadium acoustics aren't that great, however, where I sit now I have a group with me and another couple of other groups nearby and we're all singing for much of the game which then creates a great atmosphere and so perhaps the perception of atmosphere depends on where you sit and as the noise will often be behind Naylor on a home.

I haven't read Naylor's article and if truth be known, I won't read it either. His business is selling papers and creating debate, sometimes by saying something controversial. It does seem like odd timing that he decides to write this type of article effectively criticising the supporters when the bond between the club and supporters have improved compared to last year, when the atmosphere at times was 100 times worse than it is now.

Personally, I would rather sit in a stadium of 27000 as we do now, knowing that sometimes the atmosphere may be a bit flat but at other times (like the Charlton & Leeds games) it's amazing, compared to an empty box like Stadium MK or a crap hole like Selhurst.

Jan 30, 2008
https://twitter.com/andynaylorargus/status/711888566935228416
i get that the attendance levels and noise has dropped since our first 2 seasons under poyet. But i still think that atmos at a lot of other clubs is worse or non existent. Yes we have the early leavers problem but in general, the noise isn't too bad. At least from where i sit in the esu. I don't understand the timing of his piece. After taking 7k to mk dons, and having a near 100% season ticket renewal and pushing for promotion, he decides to write this . I think it's a wider issue, one of price and over zealous stewarding that has contributed to a reduction of noise, of course on top of a dull, and then awful 2 seasons. Attendances were bound to fall and match by match prices are too high to attract casual support.
I just don't get why, why slag us now?

can i be Naylor :whistle:
regards
DR

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I'm not sure that I agree that all 4 stands have to have the same rake, although it is definitely more aesthetically pleasing if they do.

If they don't have the same rake then you have to have a wall which is shite for the person who has to sit next to it as their view is restricted.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Having read the article in full, I disagree with some parts of it, and agree with others.

He points out that the crowd for Leeds was 500 down on last season, but ignores the fact that it was live on TV this time round, unlike in 2014/15. Given the choice of spending £35 buying a ticket or watching in on TV many would choose the latter. To me that is poor research from AN.

Also disagree with his assertion that Burnley make more noise than us. I work with a Burnley STH and he says it is morgue like unless they are on top.

On the other hand AN is right in that we can and should make more effort to get behind the team. Even if it only makes 0.1% of a difference, then surely it's worth it?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What creates atmosphere is songs, so it doesn't help the atmosphere when you get rid of ALL of your "song" players - off the top of my head Buckley, Vicente, Bridcutt, Orlandi, Noone, Ulloa, El Abd, Barnes, CMS.

By the time we were landed with Sami they'd pretty much all gone.

The North Stand have been pretty piss poor at coming up with alternative songs - the nadir being a lack of a Bobby Zamora chant to remotely compare with the "That's Zamora" of 2000. Where's the Knockaert song? Kayal's song? Bong's song? I think we have the players, we just don't have the songs.

There is a Knockaert song (same as Elliott Bennett's) and a Kayal song (Noel Noel)

The crowd tend to react to the play on the pitch. When we hold a slender 1-0 lead, it gets tense and nervy. When we get a diabolical referee, it helps because everyone gets passionate shouting at the ludicrous decisions.

There are many factors involved in creating and maintaining an atmosphere.

Jan 30, 2008
There is a Knockaert song (same as Elliott Bennett's) and a Kayal song (Noel Noel)

The crowd tend to react to the play on the pitch. When we hold a slender 1-0 lead, it gets tense and nervy. When we get a diabolical referee, it helps because everyone gets passionate shouting at the ludicrous decisions.

There are many factors involved in creating and maintaining an atmosphere.
all i hear is a drawn out rendition of aaaaaaaaaaaaalbion aaaaaaaaaaaalbion
regards
DR

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I think you'll be wrong there. In my experience the atmosphere is quieter when we play the really important games as everyone seems to be holding their breath and crossing everything. There will be an outbreak of cheering and shouting if we score but it will quickly dry up if they start to fight back. And another point - the KO time will mean there isn't enough time for most people to fill up with alcohol.

I agree that the early kick off is a dampener, but I think the break on the back of an away win gives us all a bit of time to look forward to and get excited about this one. I don't think the crowd will be nervous so long as the team don't look nervous, and I am pretty confident that the team will come out fighting for this one.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Neither have been audible in the NW bit of the WSU.

Therein lies the problem. The acoustics are not good at the Amex. I sit on the east side of the north stand and hear a variety of songs each match. I also join in.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I'll second that. It has also been noticeable, whenever we are on TV or on a stream ,how many seats are empty. Is it because of all the altered kick off times?

TV cameras are on the West side looking at the East (family) Stand, evening kick offs mean that a fair number of the kids can't come, early Saturday Kick off means some kids will choose to play for their club side or Judo club or whatever else they may do regularly Saturday mornings and miss the Albion game and the East stand is most affected by this, other noticeably empty areas will be South Stand away seats and the seats left empty as segregation between away and South West home fans. If there are vacant seats in the stand people with tickets in the front rows might move further back for a better view or to avoid the rain, the cameras catch the front rows more than the rest and it might look worse on telly than it really is.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
TV cameras are on the West side looking at the East (family) Stand, evening kick offs mean that a fair number of the kids can't come, early Saturday Kick off means some kids will choose to play for their club side or Judo club or whatever else they may do regularly Saturday mornings and miss the Albion game and the East stand is most affected by this, other noticeably empty areas will be South Stand away seats and the seats left empty as segregation between away and South West home fans. If there are vacant seats in the stand people with tickets in the front rows might move further back for a better view or to avoid the rain, the cameras catch the front rows more than the rest and it might look worse on telly than it really is.

The juxtaposition of the TV gantry / cameras and the no-mans-land in the South is particularly unfortunate. Even an almost sell out will provide ample TV coverage of massive empty part of the South and SE.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Maybe we need to have a section just for those who wish to sing, like we had with H block at withdean, a larger group would be heard further and more fans would sing from other parts of the ground.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Loosely translated as "If I write a piece slating the support, they will be so indignant and eager to prove me wrong, the atmosphere for the remaining games will be a veritable CALDERON of noise".

Which is EXACTLY what the club want.

Clever.

Absolutely spot on old boy !

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
The away fans should be next to the Northstand with a gap for obvious reasons
make it a lot more tense and louder I fancy.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
If we doubled the size of the North, (which would be a massive amount of work) it would be about 5,000. We don't have that many fans to fill it atm, so we would have more empty seats.

Also, I don't think the size of this North Stand is too different to that of the Goldstone's. Nor the rake of the stand either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here