Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sidwell moving on

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not really just an experienced possible option who plays in a similar mould to Sidwell when we signed him.

Adams WAS a quality PL central midfielder, more in the mould of Kayal with great passing and dead-ball ability than Sidwell. But time has caught up with him, he has absolutely no pace and is increasingly late in challenges he can't resist making. No thanks.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Only just in..so only just read about Sidders and LR...not unexpected...but sad none the less ..you kind of get attached to players such as them....because we all know what sort of blokes they are...people that you would want around you when the chips are down.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Another top bloke. Certainly played a huge part last year. Hope he's back to fitness and gets a couple of seasons before hev retires.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Him and LR just prove there is so much more to a modern football team than the starting eleven. Looking at it from a purely playing angle he is no loss at all: he didn't play this season, and he's old and injured. But you get the impression that what he did behind the scenes was absolutely invaluable, it was more like he was a member of the coaching staff.

Him and LR are both going to be badly missed. Who can step into their shoes to become the senior non-playing players to show the others how to handle not being picked? You get the feeling with those two that #Together really meant something, and I'm a bit concerned for squad morale next year.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Charlie Adams?

A year or 18 months ago I would have and probably did suggest Adams, but football moves on quickly as have we.

We need a top top quality fit and mobile centre mid to fight it out with Stephens, Propper and Kayal.

Adams is past it now for what we need in my opinion. Younger hungry players is what we are after I would imagine

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I wouldnt be surprised to see Kayal told he can leave if we can sign 2 better so that we have 4 players competing for the places. I do not see him as realistic competition for Stephens and Propper if we wish to progress and improve. He my wish to move to The Championship where he is proven and would get more game time. Obviously if we dont sign a couple of midfielders only 1, we will keep him as 4th choice.

Last edited:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
28 December 2002. Withdean.
2 minutes of normal time, 2 nil to Burnley
Then it all goes Sidwell.
Nice

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I wouldnt be surprised to see Kayal told he can leave if we can sign 2 better so that we have 4 players competing for the places. I do not see him as realistic competition for Stephens and Propper if we wish to progress and improve. He my wish to move to The Championship where he is proven and would get more game time. Obviously if we dont sign a couple of midfielders only 1, we will keep him as 4th choice.

Well+apparently+im+old+as+hell+if+jay+jay+is+_78fd79a6c5936768f91e084d2c763b1c.gif

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

The only way Kayal will leave is if he wants too. I'd be thrilled to have him as one of my 4 options again next season. More than good enough

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The only way Kayal will leave is if he wants too. I'd be thrilled to have him as one of my 4 options again next season. More than good enough
Agreed.

And we have been told we arn't bringing in too many.

Replacing Brown, Huenemeier, Sidwell, Rosenior ( and maybe a keeper, Skalak, Hemed and Baldock ) is plenty to be getting on with.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Opinions but I would sooner that we signed a genuine competitor to Stephens and Propper and an old head to take over from Sidwell thus relegating him outside of the 25 and use possibly Sanders or Manadriou occasionally on the bench.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Opinions but I would sooner that we signed a genuine competitor to Stephens and Propper and an old head to take over from Sidwell thus relegating him outside of the 25 and use possibly Sanders or Manadriou occasionally on the bench.

Id rather we spent our money elsewhere, far bigger things to concentrate on than replacing someone who is more than good enough.

Spend the money on a Forward, Centre Mid, Centre Half and Wide man.
4 decent signings would do for me.

If we start moving on players of the likes of Kayal we will need 10 new players in the squad

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

I want Messi. Although I'm not sure he'd play the target man role that well...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Id rather we spent our money elsewhere, far bigger things to concentrate on than replacing someone who is more than good enough.

Spend the money on a Forward, Centre Mid, Centre Half and Wide man.
4 decent signings would do for me.

If we start moving on players of the likes of Kayal we will need 10 new players in the squad

I do not agree on your 4. I would say an AM and striker and possibly an old head CM or DM. to replace Sidwell. Had he been fit I wonder would BK have played any games, we will never know.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I do not agree on your 4. I would say an AM and striker and possibly an old head CM or DM. to replace Sidwell. Had he been fit I wonder would BK have played any games, we will never know.

Lets say we get Delaney... I certainly hope so.

That's 4 excellent centre mids to choose from. We have Propper who can play the Gross role if required also.

We may well pick up Powell for free to add extra competition for Gross.

Be an interesting summer :)

Just think we should be looking at other areas before we look at Kayal's place in the squad.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Lets say we get Delaney... I certainly hope so.

That's 4 excellent centre mids to choose from. We have Propper who can play the Gross role if required also.

We may well pick up Powell for free to add extra competition for Gross.

Be an interesting summer :)

Just think we should be looking at other areas before we look at Kayal's place in the squad.
I agree with all this, but worth noting Powell signed on for another year at Wigan - so he wouldn't be free.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here