Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Teams That Can't Catch Us 16/17

Poker Dunce

Feb 4, 2012
Blackburn still have Bristol City to play meaning that they both won't be able to take maximum points from their remaining games. I think this makes us mathematically safe from relegation ����

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Blackburn still have Bristol City to play meaning that they both won't be able to take maximum points from their remaining games. I think this makes us mathematically safe from relegation ����
Indeed.

Since Blackburn still have to play Bristol City WE HAVE MATHEMATICALLY AVOIDED RELEGATION !!

:albion2:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Bearing in mind that all the teams below us can't win every match (some can, but not all of them) we've been mathematically safe from relegation since 10 or 15 points ago.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
I won't post the full table as [MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION] is doing a great job, but I decided to put the lower half of the table into some perspective, and why we should be very excited. Obviously it's one game at a time, but think it's good to try and look at the milestones.

RED teams cannot catch us at all
AMBER teams can be overtaken (assuming we are above on GD) within either a draw or a win
BLACK teams are teams we should also be taking notice of very soon depending on the result on Tuesday (teams playing that day have an *) nonetheless, 2/3 wins for us or losses for them mean they will be unable to catch us.

# Team Games Pts (max.)
1 Brighton 33 71 (110)*
14 Birmingham 34 43 (79)
15 Ipswich 33 41 (80)*
16 QPR 34 40 (76)
17 Aston Villa 33 39 (78)*
18 Nottm Forest 34 37 (73)
19 Burton 34 36 (72)
20 Wolves 32 35 (77)
21 Bristol City 33 33 (72)*
----------------------------------------------
22 Wigan 34 31 (67)
23 Blackburn 32 30 (72)*
24 Rotherham 34 17 (53)

Amazing that within 3 games, both teams from Britain's second city could be outstripped by us, Villa being the biggest surprise. Also, in a very, VERY short space of time 11 teams might be unable to catch us. Out of 23 teams that is a stupendous figure with the amount of games left.

Big teams to watch are Blackburn, as anything but a win on Tuesday puts us officially out of the relegation zone, and Aston Villa v Bristol, a Bristol win means Aston Villa will only have 75 maximum points, whilst a draw/loss means we will surpass Bristol.

Very exciting times indeed! :ascarf: :albion2:

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
------------------------------------------
Team pts … (Mx Pts)
1 Brighton 71 … ( 110 )
2 Newcastle 70 … ( 109 )
3 Huddersfield 65 … ( 104 )
4 Leeds 62 … ( 98 )
5 Reading 60 … ( 96 )
6 Sheff Wed 58 … ( 94 )
7 Fulham 53 … ( 92 )
8 Preston 52 … ( 88 )
9 Norwich 51 … ( 90 )
10 Barnsley 50 … ( 86 )
11 Derby 48 … ( 87 )
12 Cardiff 46 … ( 82 )
13 Brentford 43 … ( 82 )
14 Birmingham 43 … ( 79 )
15 Ipswich 41 … ( 80 )
16 QPR 40 … ( 76 )
17 Aston Villa 39 … ( 78 )
18 Nottm Forest 37 … ( 73 )
19 Burton Albion 36 … ( 72 )
20 Wolves 35 … ( 77 )
21 Bristol City 33 … ( 72 )
22 Wigan 31 … ( 67 )
23 Blackburn 30 … ( 72 )
24 Rotherham 17 … ( 53 )

As others have mentioned, Blackburn and Bristol have to play each other, ergo only one can finish with 72 points. If they draw and win all their others they each get 70, not enough to over take us.

But also, Burton have to play Forest. Burton win, forest max at 70; forest win, Burton max at 69; draw forest max 72, burton 70.

We are safe. Barring a points deductions because that guy tried to run on the pitch after the game yesterday. Won't finish in the bottom 4

Last edited:

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
Team pts …(Max Pts)
1 Brighton 71 …(110)
2 Newcastle 70 …(109)
3 Huddersfield 65…(104)
4 Leeds 62 …(98)
5 Reading 60…(96)
6 Sheff Wed 58…(94)

This is precisely why I remain convinced (and have done for weeks) that auto promotion will require at least 92 points this season. On their current form, it is not unreasonable to suggest that Hudders could take at least 27 of their remaining 39 available points. Hopefully, all will become clearer over the next couple of games - as the number of available remaining points diminishes - but as at today the "one game at a time" emphasis will be on every team's agenda.

If we thought last season was nail biting this one could be even more tense! Of one thing we can all be sure; there will be plenty of twists and turns to come before the season is over. Yesterday's Bristol City and Barnsley draws were a god send to the Albion - and were the perfect precursor to our drubbing of Reading. A strong Albion performance on Tuesday against the Toon will add to the psychological boost of our recent back-to-back wins and set us up well for the run-in. CH is the perfect manager to handle this pressure.

Supporting the Albion has always been nerve jangling whichever end of the table we happen to be. This season looks like it'll be no different!

UTA

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
This is precisely why I remain convinced (and have done for weeks) that auto promotion will require at least 92 points this season. On their current form, it is not unreasonable to suggest that Hudders could take at least 27 of their remaining 39 available points. Hopefully, all will become clearer over the next couple of games - as the number of available remaining points diminishes - but as at today the "one game at a time" emphasis will be on every team's agenda.

If we thought last season was nail biting this one could be even more tense! Of one thing we can all be sure; there will be plenty of twists and turns to come before the season is over. Yesterday's Bristol City and Barnsley draws were a god send to the Albion - and were the perfect precursor to our drubbing of Reading. A strong Albion performance on Tuesday against the Toon will add to the psychological boost of our recent back-to-back wins and set us up well for the run-in. CH is the perfect manager to handle this pressure.

Supporting the Albion has always been nerve jangling whichever end of the table we happen to be. This season looks like it'll be no different!

UTA

History suggests otherwise, but the top three do have not only higher than usual points totals, but are also on good runs. FWIW, I'm of the view that Hudds will struggle to win 9 or more out of 13, which is pretty much what they'll need to get to 92, or beyond. I suspect that Newcastle will struggle to win 7 out of 13. We might just do that and, if we do, I think that will be enough. Feel happy to bounce at the end of the season. I'm making a prediction (as you are) rather than making a concrete statement about the future.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Team pts … (Mx Pts)
1 Brighton 71 … ( 110 )
2 Newcastle 70 … ( 109 )
3 Huddersfield 65 … ( 104 )
4 Leeds 62 … ( 98 )
5 Reading 60 … ( 96 )
6 Sheff Wed 58 … ( 94 )
7 Fulham 53 … ( 92 )
8 Preston 52 … ( 88 )
9 Norwich 51 … ( 90 )
10 Barnsley 50 … ( 86 )
11 Derby 48 … ( 87 )
12 Cardiff 46 … ( 82 )
13 Brentford 43 … ( 82 )
14 Birmingham 43 … ( 79 )
15 Ipswich 41 … ( 80 )
16 QPR 40 … ( 76 )
17 Aston Villa 39 … ( 78 )
18 Nottm Forest 37 … ( 73 )
19 Burton Albion 36 … ( 72 )
20 Wolves 35 … ( 77 )
21 Bristol City 33 … ( 72 )
22 Wigan 31 … ( 67 )
23 Blackburn 30 … ( 72 )
24 Rotherham 17 … ( 53 )

As others have mentioned, Blackburn and Bristol have to play each other, ergo only one can finish with 72 points. If they draw and win all their others they each get 70, not enough to over take us.

But also, Burton have to play Forest. Burton win, forest max at 70; forest win, Burton max at 69; draw forest max 72, burton 70.

We are safe. Barring a points deductions because that guy tried to run on the pitch after the game yesterday. Won't finish in the bottom 4

Top work as always [MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION], Keeper Of The Sacred Thread :bowdown:

BangaloreGull

Jun 18, 2011
Burgess Hill

UTA

I have scoffed at this prediction (3 teams over 90) when I have seen other people make it, but just sat here and did my match by match projection for the three of us. . . I tried to remove my natural pessimistic streak. I get Newcastle on 95, Huddersfield on 94, us on 92. That is with a draw on Tuesday. IF we win on Tuesday, the rest of my predictions would have us all on 94, and us squeezing in on goal difference. I guess I would take that, but not sure I could cope with the pressure!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Perhaps we should be mindful of the fact that this thread is entitled 'Teams That Can't Catch Us' - not 'Teams that can catch us', as it seems to be wandering off into now. There are other 'how many points we need for second' type threads around.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Perhaps we should be mindful of the fact that this thread is entitled 'Teams That Can't Catch Us' - not 'Teams that can catch us', as it seems to be wandering off into now. There are other 'how many points we need for second' type threads around.

This may partly be because 'teams that cant catch us' is Mickey, to be frank. No team will win 12/13 games on spin. And it doesn't allow for the simple fact that the teams have to play each other so points must be dropped. It is a simple mathematical formula that has no possible practical relevance. In practice, it is highly unlikely any team below SW could possibly catch us.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This may partly be because 'teams that cant catch us' is Mickey, to be frank. No team will win 12/13 games on spin. And it doesn't allow for the simple fact that the teams have to play each other so points must be dropped. It is a simple mathematical formula that has no possible practical relevance. In practice, it is highly unlikely any team below SW could possibly catch us.
Yes, I know that, but this thread is still based on Acker's table, not predictions.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Its just an annual fun thread about the sides that can't mathematically catch us. Always look forward to it

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
This!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I won't post the full table as [MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION] is doing a great job, but I decided to put the lower half of the table into some perspective, and why we should be very excited. Obviously it's one game at a time, but think it's good to try and look at the milestones.

RED teams cannot catch us at all
AMBER teams can be overtaken (assuming we are above on GD) within either a draw or a win
BLACK teams are teams we should also be taking notice of very soon depending on the result on Tuesday (teams playing that day have an *) nonetheless, 2/3 wins for us or losses for them mean they will be unable to catch us.

# Team Games Pts (max.)
1 Brighton 33 71 (110)*
14 Birmingham 34 43 (79)
15 Ipswich 33 41 (80)*
16 QPR 34 40 (76)
17 Aston Villa 33 39 (78)*
18 Nottm Forest 34 37 (73)
19 Burton 34 36 (72)
20 Wolves 32 35 (77)
21 Bristol City 33 33 (72)*
----------------------------------------------
22 Wigan 34 31 (67)
23 Blackburn 32 30 (72)*
24 Rotherham 34 17 (53)

Amazing that within 3 games, both teams from Britain's second city could be outstripped by us, Villa being the biggest surprise. Also, in a very, VERY short space of time 11 teams might be unable to catch us. Out of 23 teams that is a stupendous figure with the amount of games left.

Big teams to watch are Blackburn, as anything but a win on Tuesday puts us officially out of the relegation zone, and Aston Villa v Bristol, a Bristol win means Aston Villa will only have 75 maximum points, whilst a draw/loss means we will surpass Bristol.

Very exciting times indeed! :ascarf: :albion2:

Fair attempt, and due respect for trying, but please never attempt again. It's not about the multi-coloured if's and's and but's. It's a table like any other, pure and simple and elegant.

[MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION] is our leader. Accept no substitute, however sloppy and well-meaning.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here