Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why is this ad not deemed racist ?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

The British government isn't interested in you making an informed decision, they would rather you don't think if that's alright, that's for them to make the intellectual choice not you. You are simply to have an emotional reaction to the product in this case an political advert and buy it without thinking. That's why they spend a fortune on public relation firms. It's called engineered consent. The choice is you don't have a choice you are emotionally moved into a position and view. It's designed to do the very thing you have done.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Engineering_of_Consent

Are they doing a similar thing on the referendum?

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
I think the poster is actually targeting the wrong audience, it is the Asian woman who is more likely to be registered for the vote rather than the skinhead.

(She might even be registered several times at that)

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Shockingly racist IMO , there would be howls of outrage if there was an ad showing an aggressive rudeboy harassing an old white lady.

View attachment 75155

Of course it is outrageously racists and no amount of the luvvy set not seeing it that way will change that and of course there would be outrage by those self same people that feel it is fair-game this way round if it was ever actually ever produced the other way round with 100's of negative stereotypes that can fit snugly into other races and creeds.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Of course it is outrageously racists and no amount of the luvvy set not seeing it that way will change that and of course there would be outrage by those self same people that feel it is fair-game this way round if it was ever actually ever produced the other way round with 100's of negative stereotypes that can fit snugly into other races and creeds.
I can only imagine how badly theyd piss their cargo trousers and get their gilet's in a twist were the advert to be shown with the situation in reverse , the shrill accusations of racial stereotyping wouldnt stop.

mikey25

Apr 18, 2016
It depends how you look at it. I think it's lovely that they've gone to play in the park together.

Yeah I agree. Every person has its perspective on how they look things and how they interpret it. Its our own opinion, it may be right or wrong.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I can only imagine how badly theyd piss their cargo trousers and get their gilet's in a twist were the advert to be shown with the situation in reverse , the shrill accusations of racial stereotyping wouldnt stop.

:smile:
Shrill, gilets, cargo trousers...

No stereotyping there then?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

:lolol: Ah yes, that well known stereotype of elderly women from an ethnic minorities shouting at bald white men.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I do think Bushy and Pavilionaire have a very valid point. The Ad Men are using a very out-of-date image for a specific group of people. If I was a skinhead I'd be bloody furious. It's done a lot of harm to their image, skinhead culture dropped the politics years ago. Nowadays it's all about the music and the clothes just like it was in the beginning.

But if this is the very negative road that the Government want to go down then they should have been a lot smarter and had a whole set of posters with as many different races as possible and each being the aggressor in one and the victim of the abuse in another. A set of posters with an Imam threatening a black girl because she's showing too much cleavage, a Yardie threatening a white schoolboy, a Sikh picking on a Muslim woman in a burka and so on. Whoever okayed this picture definitely knew it would cause an outcry. Very poor show.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
But if this is the very negative road that the Government want to go down ....

Why are we blaming the government here? Operation Black Vote is a non-partisan NGO isn't it?

Plenty of other things to attack the government for, but I don't think this was any of their doing.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patreon
Jan 19, 2010
The ‘A vote is vote’ campaign aims to empower the BAME community to use their voice - and shows that their vote carries as much weight as the other, frequently more vocal sides of the political spectrum.

The poster features an Asian woman being berated by an aggressive looking thug. The pair are seated on a see-saw - demonstrating the balance of their equivalent power - with the strap-line: ‘A vote is vote’.

Many people feel that this debate, whether it’s the Remain or the Leave camps, has been characterised by anger, not much objective information, ,and at times the demonization of foreigners and in particular people of colour. Our campaign poster illustrates that.

:facepalm:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Why are we blaming the government here? Operation Black Vote is a non-partisan NGO isn't it?

Plenty of other things to attack the government for, but I don't think this was any of their doing.

I didn't know that, thanks for pointing it out. In that case, I hope that a few Black suedeheads will take this up with this NGO. Having been to a few gigs over the years where there's been a large skinhead and suedehead crowd, Desmond Dekker at the Worthing Assembly Rooms sticks out in my mind as a good example, there's been quite a mix of white and black blokes and they were all decent people. I'm sure [MENTION=22252]T soprano[/MENTION] can explain much better than me because I know he is very into the scene.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I can remember black skins.. it was apolitical, then it was hijacked by the far right.. there are 'lefty' skins, but Im pretty sure most people identify skinheads with far right thugs these days.
We supported Desmond Dekker in that place by St Peters church back in the day... bit of a bum twitch when the doors opened and skinheads poured in, but they were of the 'lefty' variety.

Cant see that a leftwing skinhead would be shaking his fist at an elderly ethnic woman...
to me the ad says everybody is equal.

Last edited:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I can remember black skins.. it was apolitical, then it was hijacked by the far right.. there are 'lefty' skins, but Im pretty sure most people identify skinheads with far right thugs these days.
We supported Desmond Dekker in that place by St Peters church back in the day... bit of a bum twitch when the doors opened and skinheads poured in, but they were of the 'lefty' variety.

Well you need to keep up to speed DIP, there is a great skinhead reunion in Brighton with absolutely no racial overtones, its a crass stereotyping of white men (not just white men with DM's and shaved head) that just wouldnt be tolerated with any other racial group.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Well you need to keep up to speed DIP, there is a great skinhead reunion in Brighton with absolutely no racial overtones, its a crass stereotyping of white men (not just white men with DM's and shaved head) that just wouldnt be tolerated with any other racial group.

As I said... there are left wing skins.
As you know, many people see skins and think far right...

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
but Im pretty sure most people identify skinheads with far right thugs these days..

I don't think that's true. Whenever they have their weekenders down here and there's hundreds of skins milling about and sight-seeing, I never see people crossing the street to avoid them. I think most people know that the NF associations is all now old history. The real proof that people don't think they're far-right thugs is the fact that you don't get Antifa demonstrations or marches whenever there's a skinhead weekender in town. And I think there was a thread on here when they had the last Reunion. I recall it all being good natured and just full of tales of fights between punks/skins/mods. Mo-one accusing anyone of being a racist or fascist.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Ive seen it myself buzzer, but over the years, the skin movement has been seen as a far right group.... you cant really deny that.. the perception is still there for a lot of people. If there is an advertised non political non far right event that involves skins... its a no brainer isnt it?
However, if youre not particularly interested in the music or lifestyle, i would imagine people will have the old perception of the far right

you say most people recognise the NF affiliation is gone. I dont think thats the case myself.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Ive seen it myself buzzer, but over the years, the skin movement has been seen as a far right group.... you cant really deny that.. the perception is still there by a lot of people. If there is an advertised non political non far event that involves skins... its a no brainer isnt it?

I've given you two cast-iron pieces of evidence that proves that most people don't think it's political anymore. If there was even the slightest hint of that then Antifa would be all over it like a rash and there would have been an almighty argument on that skinhead reunion thread on this forum too. It was political in the past but it's not been for a long time, It's the casual culture that's now been tarred with that brush.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here