Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] A27 Lewes Mobile camera

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I've never heard of 10% (or 10%+3mph) as anything but apocryphal.

Remember, it's a limit, not a target.

Speedos are allowed to read under, but not over, so if you check it with a GPS, you will see that an indicated 70mph on your speedo is actually about 66/67.

All car manufactures for as long as i can remember have always made sure the speedo is 5-10% under the actual speed to eusure they can't get later sued later, can you imaging if it was later found they were at fault for many many speeding conviction, incorrectly banned drivers claiming loss or earning ect. It done to cover themselves, have you have you never looked at the sat nav and speedo speeds at the same time?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Gotta love 'I've never been caught before', as opposed to 'I've never driven over the speed limit before'.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
When you are a "mature" driver, it makes very little difference, the same as NCB, I often have several cars and as a result they don't all have max NCB, so i play around to see what the best options are. Many a time the same car "for a person of my age" the policy difference between 0 NCB and 9 years (max) will only be £20.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
All car manufactures for as long as i can remember have always made sure the speedo is 5-10% under the actual speed to eusure they can't get later sued later, can you imaging if it was later found they were at fault for many many speeding conviction, incorrectly banned drivers claiming loss or earning ect. It done to cover themselves, have you have you never looked at the sat nav and speedo speeds at the same time?

All true.

Even easier just look at the speedo as you set off.
It starts under zero and doesn't move above zero until 3-5mph.

Chances are the OP was actually doing 60-65mph, unless we allow for 'I'm nearly innocent rounding down' which would put him nearer 65-70mph.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hark at you on your high horse "i never broken the law on my bicycle"

Bicycle, car, space hopper you name it I've broken the law on it.

I guess the difference is if I were the OP I'd look at this (and did when I was caught speeding) as 'oh well that was bound to happen eventually'.
I went on the very informative speed awareness course, and modified my speeding accordingly.

(Guarantee I'll get done for speeding this weekend)

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
But this costs you more as your insurance premium will increase for the next 3 or 5 years, when you declare the points.

Yeah - I thought that as well.....

And the speed awareness course isn’t that bad. It was quite boring but educational and there was a bit of all in it together when I did mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
I know someone who was caught there but doing 70 - travelling with someone who was not well and was just following the flow of traffic. Didnt get a choice of the course although first offence, possibly due to the amount over the 50. To be honest that sign is obvious but if you follow the flow its rare people actually slow down to 50, more like 60

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
You're contradicting yourself in your post. Speedos read faster than you're actually doing. The 10% rule is there to allow for discrepencies in the way your speedometer gets its information. For example brand new tyres have a greater circumference than very old near the legal limit ones therefore they say your going faster than you really are.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Sorry, I meant to say speedos always read more than your actual speed. In my defence I'd been on the sauce.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Gotta love 'I've never been caught before', as opposed to 'I've never driven over the speed limit before'.

That's called being honest and not bullshitting. Anyone who drives 45000 miles a year and doesn't admit to breaking the speed limit is a fool

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Had an engineer come in to fix one of my machines about a month ago and he said he had been done on the M25 recently where they had a temporary 50 mph limit, on the official letter he received it stated he was doing 51 mph and had been fined etc etc. So, maybe they have ditched the 10% margin ?

Varies from force to force. My awareness course in Sussex told me limit plus ten per cent plus 3mph, whereas most countyies operate only plus 2mph. Here in Oz I have just had my second offence notice in ten days for doing 105 kph on a freeway with a 100 kph limit. Some things are better in Blighty!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I know someone who was caught there but doing 70 - travelling with someone who was not well and was just following the flow of traffic. Didnt get a choice of the course although first offence, possibly due to the amount over the 50. To be honest that sign is obvious but if you follow the flow its rare people actually slow down to 50, more like 60

Go that way once a fortnight...no problem in slowing to 50 :shrug:

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Likewise. I got caught by a mobile unit in Dorset doing 34 in a 30 and was offered a £90 speed awareness course and no points or £100 fine and 3 points. I took the points and the £100 fine as I couldn't be arsed with trashing a days holiday to go on the course and the hassle of swapping it from the one offered in Dorset to one near where I live.

You can’t actually swap a Dorset speed awareness course for one held elsewhere in the country.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
You can’t actually swap a Dorset speed awareness course for one held elsewhere in the country.

That's interesting. The letter didn't suggest that I could - but people I spoke to were saying "oh - just swap it for a more local one."

In the event that Dorset don't let you transfer to a more local session, no way would I drive 200+ miles to do a Speed Awareness course (that starts at 9:00am) and then 200+ miles home again afterwards to save £10 on the fine.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
That's interesting. The letter didn't suggest that I could - but people I spoke to were saying "oh - just swap it for a more local one."

In the event that Dorset don't let you transfer to a more local session, no way would I drive 200+ miles to do a Speed Awareness course (that starts at 9:00am) and then 200+ miles home again afterwards to save £10 on the fine.

My husband did a speed awareness course locally instead of a fine & 3 points. It was free.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here