Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Team for this Fridays game against West Ham

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Talk about a lone striker - it looks like he will be playing from the back of the North and South stands each half.

Soon it will become obvious that it is a waste of a player to have him so far upfield and far away from his team mates that he never actually touches the ball, and we will make the obvious move to an attacking 4-6-0 formation.

Striker 'problem' solved! :)

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
If the manager continues to play the same 8, 9, 10, 11 players

The only ever presents this season are i think (Ryan, Propper, Duffy, Knockaert and March)
Another 11 players (Bruno, Balogun, Bernardo, Bong, Bissouma, Gross, Stephens, Kayal, Murray, Locadia, Dunk) have started 1 or more of the 7 games so far.
and 6 more have been subs - Ali J, Button, Izquierdo, Suttner, Andone, Izquierdo Thats 22 players that so far have played a part in Albion's Premier League season.

Last edited:

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Especially at home?

We beat man utd scoring 3 goals first game.

Came flying out the blocks v Fulham and should have been ahead were on not for a missed penalty. Scored twice more and missed a fair few chances.

Ok spurs game was poor first half but they are a much better team than us and even then we could have knicked something.

By all means ask questions about our away form and approach over the last year but all in all our home games have been as good as that can be expected for us over that period.

Like this maybe...
So far this season he's dropped his captain, sometimes from the entire squad, and replaced him with a new signing who is now a settled regular.
Last week he rested his top scorer for a squad striker.
He's starting a newly signed 21 year old midfielder in nearly every game this season, dropping one of last years players of the season in the process.
He's boldly stuck with a mercurial winger, who most other managers would have dropped, who has rewarded him with some of his best performances for a year.
2 other defenders signed this summer have also played a part in matches this season, starting games.
And newly signed players have either been coming back from injury or played a part in every game as subs.

and there's still 31 games to go.

I wonder if [MENTION=12474]The Gem[/MENTION] might come back and say something like "Yes, on reflection, of course you are right. There is absolutely nothing wrong with our home tactics, performances, points gained, goals scored, entertainment value and atmosphere, effort, energy, or anything else you choose to consider. In fact, the last few years under Chris Hughton have been by far the most enjoyable in my more than 40 years following the Albion."

What I will say is, maybe its premature or maybe its not, lets come back to this after another 4/6 homes games and we will be in a better position to say if we are still being set up not to lose rather than go for the win at home.

I guess time will tell.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
What I will say is, maybe its premature or maybe its not, lets come back to this after another 4/6 homes games and we will be in a better position to say if we are still being set up not to lose rather than go for the win at home.

I guess time will tell.

Well yes. It will but interested to know how its determined we've "gone for a win" or have been "set up not to lose" ? Does the performance of the team we're playing come into it. ?

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Not quite what Hughton said last week. "hopeful' for West Ham. He will confirm at todays press conference at 1.30pm.

Been told Stephens and Gross will not be back until AFTER the international break.
No doubt Hughton will say this afternooon 'Gross and Stephens are close to being fit for West Ham'

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Been told Stephens and Gross will not be back until AFTER the international break.
No doubt Hughton will say this afternooon 'Gross and Stephens are close to being fit for West Ham'

Given he's accurately projected the likely injury return so far this season for Locadia, Duffy, Murray, Dunk, Ben White, Bruno, Andone and Izquierdo then if they're not fit, he'll say they are not fit, if he says he'll make a late decision, he'll make a late decision. Not sure what you are frustrated about here.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Well yes. It will but interested to know how its determined we've "gone for a win" or have been "set up not to lose" ? Does the performance of the team we're playing come into it. ?

We surrendered the ball and territory to Tottenham from the off. It was only when we went 1 down that we started playing higher and with more energy. I'm not sure we couldn't have got something out of that game had we had a go from the outset. Fair enough if they start ripping into us and finding huge holes behind then re-trench, but it was as if we came out of the tunnel with a white flag.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Watford and Bournemouth have had a lot of success this season playing 2 upfront. I'd love to see us try it in some of these winnable matches coming up.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We surrendered the ball and territory to Tottenham from the off. It was only when we went 1 down that we started playing higher and with more energy. I'm not sure we couldn't have got something out of that game had we had a go from the outset. Fair enough if they start ripping into us and finding huge holes behind then re-trench, but it was as if we came out of the tunnel with a white flag.

Unfortunately, this is what it looked like to me too...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Ha ! Hughton did say this afternoon that Stephens is "close" probably because he is. And he will make a "late decision". I guess because he will.
he didn't Gross was "close". He said he was "out" for West Ham. It really isn't true that Hughton obfuscates about injuries in press interviews so not sure why people are convinced he does.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Ha ! Hughton did say this afternoon that Stephens is "close" probably because he is. And he will make a "late decision". I guess because he will.
he didn't Gross was "close". He said he was "out" for West Ham. It really isn't true that Hughton obfuscates about injuries in press interviews so not sure why people are convinced he does.

Anything about Iz and Andone

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So Stephens is a late decision for Friday.

Does that mean many posters can be shocked/surprised/disagree with him being rushed backed from injury?

Irrespective of the fact that everybody knows DS WILL start if he's deemed fit enough.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
So we now have rough confirmation of injuries. Personally I would go 4-4 ****ing 2.

Ryan

Montoya
Dunk
Duffy
Bong

AJ
Stephens/Bissouma
Propper
Knocky

Locadia (with strict instructions to play deepish to help the midfield)
Murray

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
So we now have rough confirmation of injuries. Personally I would go 4-4 ****ing 2.

Ryan

Montoya
Dunk
Duffy
Bong

AJ
Stephens/Bissouma
Propper
Knocky

Murray
From the bench:

Stephens/Bissouma/Kayal for Stephens/Bissouma
Izquierdo for AJ
Andone for Locadia/Murray

Bosh - 3-0 to the Albion.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008

One would imagine based on WHU last 3 games CH will set up in the usual way to not be beaten. Against Spurs we did exactly the same set up not to lose, that game could of been there for the taking had we started as we did against MU.

Irrespective of how WHU are playing I would be picking a team and formation to say "worry about us" rather than us worrying about them.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008

Ryan

Montoya
Dunk
Duffy
Bong

AJ
Stephens/Bissouma
Propper
Knocky

Murray

Yo Frankie
Dream on Son, CH playing 442 only in our dreams !!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here