Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Flight advice to New Zealand.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
We are booked Man-Doha-Auckland (stopover is two hours) Qatar Airlines Econ (I was out voted 2-1 for B/class) We/I like a beer or two but not for this. Some have suggested Valium/or a Sleeping tablet (have to see the Dr) been to Australia and back but Doha-Auckland around 17 hours. :bigwave::bigwave:

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
We are booked Man-Doha-Auckland (stopover is two hours) Qatar Airlines Econ (I was out voted 2-1 for B/class) We/I like a beer or two but not for this. Some have suggested Valium/or a Sleeping tablet (have to see the Dr) been to Australia and back but Doha-Auckland around 17 hours. :bigwave::bigwave:

Personally I'd avoid the sleeping tablet /valium scenario simply because you really want to be getting up and walking around at least every 2-3 hours to avoid a potential DVT. I can't stress how bad that can be, a mate of mine suffered one 20 years ago and is still affected as a result of it with a leg ulcer which has never really completely gone away. He was,however, 60 at the time of travel. Compression socks alone won't stop this long distance potential menace. Enjoy your trip, NZ i s the dogs danglies.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
You'll love NZ. It's a fabulous country to visit with loads to see and do. Driving, particularly on the South Island is a real pleasure, relaxed and easy as there's so few vehicles on the road.

Have to say that when I went, we flew Business class - got a companion fare through Malaysian Airlines and -for us anyhow- it was worth every penny. I'm tall and the wife suffers with lower leg cramp. An eight hour stopover in Kuala Lumpur notwithstanding we arrived in Auckland feeling pretty relaxed and good to go.

Personally, I wouldn't want to do the drugged sleep thing, especially in Economy. [MENTION=22735]grubbyhands[/MENTION] is right. The risk of DVT is very real. You need to move about.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
My lad recently went to Oz and rang the doctor to say he was scared of flying even though he wasn’t. They prescribed him some Valium and he was able to time his sleeps so he could arrive in Oz in the morning after a full nights sleep

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Have a great time. Lucky guy being able to travel business class.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
I moved here permanently two years ago so if you need any info let me know . As for flights we found the fact our two flights were night flights helped a lot . It's really not that bad just try to sleep whenever you can .

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If you want to be able to doze rather than be knocked out with potential side effects, get some melatonin, it’s brilliant. I use it all the time to either drop off on a flight, or get to sleep on local time when jetlagged.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I'd love to go to NZ (but get a tad claustrophobic so won't fly)....enjoy loads

That's a shame. Have you considered going on a nervous flyers course? Or is it just the confinement that debilitating?

If it's confinement the A380's and Dreamliner aircraft which tend to do the bulk of extreme long haul flights are very wide bodied and the Dreamliners in particular have very large cabin windows to make them appear even more airy.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
That's a shame. Have you considered going on a nervous flyers course? Or is it just the confinement that debilitating?

If it's confinement the A380's and Dreamliner aircraft which tend to do the bulk of extreme long haul flights are very wide bodied and the Dreamliners in particular have very large cabin windows to make them appear even more airy.

Just too debilitating..last flight I did was to Belfast on DanAir (yes that long ago) ...and I spent the whole one hour working out how I could get back on a ferry from Southern Ireland to North Wales ..promised myself never again.....if I could fly the thing I'd probably be ok :D

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I concur with those advising not to dose yourself up, I didn’t and just dozed off a few times, I think we stopped off in Hong Kong for a few hours which helped actually. Have a couple of glasses of wine to help sleep if required, New Zealand is amazing and when you land you will be buzzing, I drove for three hours after arriving in the north island, and three weeks was not enough, Would move there in a heartbeat, fantastic, fantastical islands...

Enjoy, so jealous

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Triazolam.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I wanted to try Azolam but nobody had ever heard it.

Are you sure you know about medicine? ???

That's a really dreadful joke. You're letting yourself down, your family down, and your pharmacist down.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patreon
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I am overdue a trip to NZ (have family there) but really, really cannot be arsed. 12 hours to Japan is more than enough. Can't imagine doing the same again in a single trip. I tip my hat to anybody who can.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I moved here permanently two years ago so if you need any info let me know . As for flights we found the fact our two flights were night flights helped a lot . It's really not that bad just try to sleep whenever you can .

Our first flight from Manchester is around 3pm so Doha near midnight and a two hour changeover 3/4 quick wines sounds an option for sleeping without drugs of a sort for the next flight.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Our first flight from Manchester is around 3pm so Doha near midnight and a two hour changeover 3/4 quick wines sounds an option for sleeping without drugs of a sort for the next flight.

Didn't you say you're in Business Class? On a Dreamliner? No need to worry. They'll feed you late evening, dim the lights, give you a flat lie-down bed and comfy cushions and - my own personal opinion here- pump sleeping gas through your cabin. It'll be daylight only when they say it can be daylight. Job done!

Tho have to say IMHO you've let yourself down by not taking at least a few day's timeout in Asia en route. You'll be disappointed with that.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here