Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AFC Bournemouth vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I've never seen us pass and move as well as we did at points this evening.

Made the same comment tonight & v WBA - some of the neat passing moves were premier league class for sure :)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Made the same comment tonight & v WBA - some of the neat passing moves were premier league class for sure :)

Scary thing is we need to be at that standard almost constantly. We look an organised side that will scrap for every point so I personally think we will just about stay up.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Problem is not the defence - its fact that unless they play out of their skin every week, which is unrealistic, we can expect defeat.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
And had they not cleared ball off line etc. We would have been moaning about a draw!
Is anyone saying we were outplayed and deserved to lose? I think we defended well by and large, and we were unlucky not to score before we did.

Letting a team low on confidence have that much possession is a concern though, as I imagine teams will learn to be patient against us and try and play through balls, knowing that when we clear there will be no one up front for us to run with it, so it will come straight back.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Problem is not the defence - its fact that unless they play out of their skin every week, which is unrealistic, we can expect defeat.

Perfect observation. Pretty scary step up.

Let's look at bmuff they dumped Murray. If he was still with them he would be 4th / 5th choice. We are years behind established prem teams.

I hope we make the relegation scrap competitive and keep up the work rate.

......and get a bit of luck with some teams being absolutely woeful to help us out

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove
On the plus side, I thought the whole team are getting better at one touch passing, and the speed of though and passing which was so woefully inadequate in the first 2 or 3 games.

Once we scored, I was really hoping we would push forward and go for the jugular. At that point in the game, the Bournemouth players were staring down the barrel of a 5th straight defeat.
Instead of that, we retreated 5 yards and set out to defend.

Ibe made the difference, but why did we let him make that difference in our own penalty box?

We'll not have a better chance to turn the screw on an opposition away from home this year, but we stuck to the original game plan, and received what we deserved.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Scary thing is we need to be at that standard almost constantly. We look an organised side that will scrap for every point so I personally think we will just about stay up.

But I'm sure I remember last season you saying their was dross or words to those effect in the bottom half of the Premier League, which we were better than. I agreed. But now you seem to be backtracking somewhat, and that the bottom half of the Premier League is stronger than you thought. Don't lose the confidence! Admittedly, 3 of that 'dross' is no longer in the Premier League.

I'm still confident we will stay up. We're still adapting to the Premier League, and the players are learning a lot every single game.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Is anyone saying we were outplayed and deserved to lose? I think we defended well by and large, and we were unlucky not to score before we did.

Letting a team low on confidence have that much possession is a concern though, as I imagine teams will learn to be patient against us and try and play through balls, knowing that when we clear there will be no one up front for us to run with it, so it will come straight back.

Exactly. It is a percentage approach: keeping knocking on the door and it will open eventually, especially as we tire later in games.

theboybilly

Just home. Gutted for the players who gave everything. When we scored Bournemouth players looked like they were ready to go home - they are a confidence side yet they looked bereft. They had hardly troubled us in reality. Albion were the better footballing side all day long but couldn't get a sustained attacking spell. At 1-0 I thought it was all over. At 1-2 I knew it was.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Pretty much this. Couple of mistakes and sitting a bit too deep perhaps but not too disheartened after that.

Stephens had by far his best game of the season too.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Totally agree.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
We were unlucky with hitting the bar and probably deserve a point from the game, but no excuses for the defending for the 2nd goal which was poor.

Let's get a modicum of revenge on Tuesday.

I wish people wouldn't talk about revenge on Tuesday. Does anyone actually give a shit about the league cup any more? Honestly don't know why it's still going - basically a cup for the reserves.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I can see why it happened, but the substitutions were only made after we'd gone behind. Fresh legs at 1-1 might have given Bmff more to think about and helped us get out a little more. Seeing where things are going wrong and fixing them before it's too late is preferable to reacting after the event.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I'm still hacked off. There will plenty more swearing this weekend if Southampton fail to win and concede.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here