Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Equal rights for old English people! (Non Londoners)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Don't see many cyclists to tell the truth, most lanes seem to be empty. Mind you most still seem to ride on the pavement even when there is a cycle lane just inches to the side

I, on the other hand, see loads. And hardly any on the pavement.

Although there is one special group of cyclist who do use the pavement. They're called... children.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I, on the other hand, see loads. And hardly any on the pavement.

Although there is one special group of cyclist who do use the pavement. They're called... children.

Not the case where I see them. Just hold my ground and make them swerve around me. Children not an issue, adults are. This is along the London rd so I'd expect to see a fair few, nowhere near the numbers you are indicating. Just another waste of roadspace

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
At least your prescriptions are free now, whereas the Welsh & Scots have theirs free, no matter what their age.

I take warfarin, two sets of blood pressure pills and the occasional hay fever pills and have to pay for the lot, even though they keep me going!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It doesn't invalidate your general whinging, but it does invalidate the original target of your whinging, whom you presumed, without bothering to find out, was specifically Brighton & Hove City Council.

I didn't know for sure, but it took me 20 seconds to find the answer - 15 of which because I have a bit of sluggish computer.

No, you said 'In Brighton, it's 66..." By inference, that means Brighton & Hove City Council. What you really meant was 'the UK government'.

Pooh look. Alan being agressive again..." whinging" ? It's his view...wtf is it up to you?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I take warfarin, two sets of blood pressure pills and the occasional hay fever pills and have to pay for the lot, even though they keep me going!

As does my other half, who has severe asthma. That's why he has a season ticket (NHS one).

Bus lanes are great big con. All they do is clog up every other lane, because nobody can get past the damn things driving at a steady 20mph and stopping every 100 yards, so everyone has to use the outside lane. And as for taxis.... :rant::rant::rant:

No. Bus lanes make buses more reliable and therefore more attractive to passengers.

In the case of Brighton, the Lewes Road bus lanes are working particularly well, and take advantage of the fact that a very high proportion of the car and truck traffic that used Lewes Road when it was widened to become a dual carriageway no longer uses the road, now that the Brighton by-pass has been built.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I always find it hilarious when the elderly complain about how 'hard' they get it. Never mind the enormous amount of national debt, lack of social housing, stagnant wages and high property prices us younger lot have to face.

You can't get a bus pass until you're 66.

Unlucky, geezer. I really feel for you.

The elderly will have been facing those issues since before you were born and will also have paid significant amounts into the system while you have not. Assuming you are young I'm not sure why you would feel you have done enough to deserve anything.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I'm looking forward to getting my bus pass but the problem I have is that there is no buses that go through my village
Have to walk 3 miles to the nearest bus stop

There is a village in Sussex with a large lay by close to a bus stop. I have seen people (from surrounding areas ?) park there and catch the bus to the nearest town. Sort of an unofficial park and ride.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

I appreciate it's not the same as free prescriptions, but would a pre-pay prescription card be worth it for you ? I pay £104 per year and get unlimited prescriptions with it. I currently have about 6 meds to take - kidney failure - and I save a bundle having the card.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I appreciate it's not the same as free prescriptions, but would a pre-pay prescription card be worth it for you ? I pay £104 per year and get unlimited prescriptions with it. I currently have about 6 meds to take - kidney failure - and I save a bundle having the card.

I do the same. Saves me a fortune. I have just paid for a 3 months subscription as I will be 60 in September when I qualify for my perk.

I am in the same boat as everyone else regarding the Bus Pass. Mind you, I am pretty sure that there are no buses in Haywards Heath after 06.30 PM anyway.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

We pay the yearly one, but in monthly instalments interest free. £10.40 per month from Feb to Nov incl.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Actually that is what I do mate. The doctor has tested my thyroid as it was a bit high/ low on a blood test I had, but it was borderline...if it moves at all, then I can cliam all my medication off the back of it seemly.

I wondered why I am struggling to lose weight even when strictly dieting. Seemly a thyroid problem can cause issues trying to slim down.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
There is a village in Sussex with a large lay by close to a bus stop. I have seen people (from surrounding areas ?) park there and catch the bus to the nearest town. Sort of an unofficial park and ride.

Handcross has a community bus service that looks like it is run by a community committee. The bus timetable pinned to a notice board outside the local hardware shop. They also do trips all over the place...Portsmouth, Hampton court, that sort of thing as well as local villages.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
The elderly will have been facing those issues since before you were born and will also have paid significant amounts into the system while you have not. Assuming you are young I'm not sure why you would feel you have done enough to deserve anything.

"The elderly will have been facing those issues" - Really? Most elderly would have been born post-war, when most things were state-owned. Home ownership for the masses has only been really around since the 1980s due to the Right to Buy. So, to make it easier, elderly will now be deemed 'baby boomer'.

"significant amounts into the system" - for their right to have access to state benefits, pension and healthcare. " while you have not.", can you figure out why I haven't been able to pay 'significant amounts'

"Assuming you are young I'm not sure why you would feel you have done enough to deserve anything." - I never said I was entitled to anything, I'm highlighting what my generation has to deal with as a result of the baby boomer's generation.
ukgs_chartDp14t.png

Generation before had done a good job getting the national debt down, it's now creeping back up.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...9892984/How-prices-changed-over-30-years.html

I never made an claim for any entitlement. Instead, only emphasising what my generation has to deal with. Playing the whole "you've not contributed" card doesn't work. only until 16 years old could I contribute, but dependent on the choices I make i.e. education, means my contribution is delayed. But sir, if you want someone to be paying for your liabilities, I need an education to get a decent job to pay the higher taxes that contribute towards your entitlements.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
And the country would be even more bankrupt than it is now. Plus, I suspect we'd all have to wear leather elbow patches like a 70s geography teacher.

I'm going to be pedantic here, but only because it annoys me so much.

How could you be any more 'bankrupt' when the definition of bankruptcy is that you have no liquidity to pay your outstanding liabilities? For the record, I didn't vote Labour. However, all this 'he'd make us bankrupt' is nonsense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here