Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ever won a competition?

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
I remember winning a competition in shoot magazine in the 70s and the prize was a football and a signed photo of Kevin keegan.
That's it for me although I don't enter random comps.
What have you won?

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I was of one ten shortlisted to win a Mercedes A-class and went to Brighton Marina for the final. It was down to two and the other contestant stepped up to try the key he had in his hand - it didn't open the door - I thought I'd won.

I stepped up and mine didn't work - the other person then tried again and this time it did work - it was a let down. Anyway I won the runners-up prize of a Smart car for a weekend.

Also won a competition run by Co-Op on the opening of their store in Neville Road. It was a spot the ball comp and I won a trip for two to the Superbowl in San Diego. I couldn't arrange time off work and managed to negotiate a reduced cash alternative despite it being in the rules that this was not an option.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Nothing personally but a friend of my mother used to enter in every competition she could. Won loads of things including a new Mini & holidays ,

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
A few over the years

Channel 5 - Corporate day at Villa for 2 when they were PL
VH1 - Rolling Stones stuff including tshirts and a signed copy of London Years Singles collection cd
Planet Rock - Gig tickets
Sounds - promo copies of Queen and TRex albums
Telegraph - TV

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I won a weeks holiday for my mum & dad for winning the donkey derby at Butlins before the days of health & safety when the didn't have saddles.
still got the bruises now :(

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
won a ticket to the first merseyside fa cup final in 1986.
Great atmosphere,average game.
The whole occasion was a bit nuts,saw 100`s without tickets getting in just at my gate in the few minutes i was there, was replicated all around the ground.
Must have been 120,000 unofficially in Wembley that day with all the ticketless.
Most packed and squashed ive ever felt at wembley and not an ounce of trouble with both sets quite mixed.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
My mum used to be obsessed by the "How many words can you get from the following phrase" competitions, best prize being a Yamaha keyboard from the local paper.

They used to run these in the match day program in the early 80s, and she got about 30 words out of "Paul Clark". She won some electric hair tongs and a fancy cigarette lighter.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Just before Christmas i won one of those "like it and share" competitions on Facebook for some sailing gear. A voucher, a jacket and some other stuff. I received the prize in between Christmas and new year. A week later they sent me the prize again!

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Having been involved in running a few competitions over the years I think most people would be surprised at how few people enter national competitions. I was guess that if you enter lots of competitions there is a good chance you will have a very high win percentage rate.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I won a comp on Absolute Radio, £250, 2x IoW festival tickets and a DAB radio. Ebayed the radio & tickets.
I also won £500 in the St Wilfred's hospice lottery in the third month I'd been in it.
Oh, and a "wheelbarrow full of booze" at Jevington fete 3 or 4 years back, many bottles of wine, cider, beer and some miniatures of gin.

There's been a couple of other little wins too but I cannot remember.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Won a few cryptic crossword prizes from the nationals like the Observer and the Indy over the years. I have never quite understood why they give dictionaries as prizes to people who do crosswords. And why there is only one word for thesaurus.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Won a few cryptic crossword prizes from the nationals like the Observer and the Indy over the years. I have never quite understood why they give dictionaries as prizes to people who do crosswords. And why there is only one word for thesaurus.

I did the cryptic crossword in the Observer every week for about 30 years, sent it off and waited to win: I won tap all. So, pace Dorset Seagull, obviously quite a few people entered that.

The only two competitions I've won are a raffle at a cricket match - I snaffled a TV and a competition run by Radio Brighton when I won a Virgin Records compilation album.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

Absolutely true story....

My mum used to work in the bookshop in North Street (Websters?), they had a woman come in one day and ask for "The book about dinosaur words" for her son. They all looked puzzled but she pulled out a piece of paper and written on it was "Roger the Saurus"

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I won Inigo Calderon's signed boots at the fans' appreciation meal.

It felt wrong for an old codger like me to have them, so found a good home for them in the son of [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION]

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Nothing personally but a friend of my mother used to enter in every competition she could. Won loads of things including a new Mini & holidays ,

A friend of mine still does that - she will enter every competition she will find and wins ridiculous amount of things such cars and big holidays, including a trip to the last World Cup in Brazil.

The last prize I recall her winning was a years supply of Branston.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
won a ticket to the first merseyside fa cup final in 1986.
The whole occasion was a bit nuts,saw 100`s without tickets getting in just at my gate in the few minutes i was there, was replicated all around the ground.
Must have been 120,000 unofficially in Wembley that day with all the ticketless.
Most packed and squashed ive ever felt at wembley.

Ooh, you have blasphemed! You must now apologise for the rest of your life and be banished by Merseyside.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
New York Rangers jersey from CH5 when they covered the NHL live about 15 years ago.
Apart from that I never really have much luck with comps...not that I enter many tbh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here