Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bruno Red Card

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If you tackle two footed with studs showing it will always be a straight red card.
I've seen a few where the ref and linos are completely oblivious to an incident and it goes unpunished.

bobzam

Brighton 'til I die
Aug 13, 2008
Bristol
Never in control of the tackle, timing only saved a double leg break. Red car and 3 game ban - he lost his head.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Hyypia played defense, too long, at too high a level, to ever go in like that.
Of course, it was Bruno who was actually on the pitch, but it's clearly still Hyypia's fault.
He should have stopped Bruno. Tony Pulis would have.

D

Deleted member 2719

I don't think anyone who was there expected anything other than a red card. It was a dumb thing to do, by going in two footed you have no control. The only consolation was that his feet were on the ground.

I now have a mental picture of a player standing still with both feet on the ground while another player runs into him.
Can you give more detail of said tackle?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I've watched the FLS now; it looks an even softer red than I thought at the time - not even a foul. Bruno didn't lunge towards any player, only the ball. The bloke he supposedly fouled came late from an angle and tripped over Bruno's shins long after the ball had been poked away.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
What does everyone think of the penalty by the way? I managed to freeze frame it the moment that the player took a dive and Stockdale doesn't even appear to have touched him, let alone fouled him, at this point - a good (and brave) call by the officials.

The way the laws are applied around penalties annoy me anyway. If that had happened anywhere else on the field, there would have been no chance of a free kick, but a penalty seems to be awarded if the defender merely touches an attacker in the box (and he throws himself to the floor).

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Used 'excessive force' and played in a 'dangerous manner' twenty years ago it's never a foul, but in today's game referees have no choice but to send someone off who jumps in with two feet off the floor and lunges in. Whether they win the ball not, or even touch the opposing player does not matter. (don't believe me google the laws and Gerrard v Sheffield United in circa 2007/08 - shows this perfectly).

I know for a fact FL refs are shown challenges like this in their training, if they dont send the player off they would get in trouble.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
After the penalty decision our players shouldn't have given the ref any chance to make another big call in the home teams' favour. He was silly to give the ref the chance. You know the red couldn't WAIT to try make amends with the home fans....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here