Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Burke pull your finger out

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
And another week goes by without any signings......what are you doing Mr Burke your job is to get us some new players what have you been doing for the past 3 months.....

Rant over I really thought we would have at least 1 player in by now

3 months? Really? didn't know TFR window opened 27th April.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
BTW Bozza there was no need for you to use the word 'ignorance'. Sorry, but DB and his team are failing. Everyone is measured on results. His are poor.

I'm happy with my choice of language, thanks.

The club keeps quiet on what it is doing on player acquisition, and rightly so. Therefore most of us speak from a position of ignorance.

If what I've been told is correct, then I feel happy with how the club is trying to go about its business, carefully trying to manage the competing demands of having a squad fully assembled as early as possible whilst making the best use of the club's finite resources.

Caving in to transfer or wage demands early on can cost the club a lot of money. If the club, say, save £3,000 per week on wages for 3 or 4 players now through shrewd negotiating, then that's £9-£12,000 available to spend on a loan signing in January for example.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Performance is measured on results. I'd give them an 'E' so far. Upgraded from an 'F' now they've managed to sign Hughes and COG. 5 to go, and all of those will be tardy if they happen at all. I suppose you'd give them an 'A*'? If so, you'd be wrong.

Well I think you need to pull your socks up, because i'm giving you an F- for the way you do your job.

Oh hang about, silly me :dunce: You won't give a toss what i think, because your boss, who knows what you do, may have a better idea :facepalm:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Let's look at a few of our supposed targets...

Stephen Ward - on £18,000 a week at Wolves with a year left on his contract. That's a £1m problem for Wolves that they want to resolve. Sure we could dive in, pay Wolves whatever they want and pay Ward whatever he wants (on a 2 or 3 year contract) but is that really the right thing to do. As the clock continues to tick, resolving this problem becomes more pressing for Wolves. Their hand weakens and ours strengthens.

Sam Baldock - Now entering the last year of his 3 year contract. He won't sign another one, so Bristol City either have to sell him now (for a reasonable sum), in January (for far less, see: Barnes, Ashley) or have him walk away for nothing next Summer. What are Bristol City likely to do? At what point does the Albion's offer become more attractive? I'd suggest as we get closer and closer to the 31st August they'll have some hard thinking to do.

David Stockdale - Also in the last year of his contract, although this is less of an issue for Fulham, awash with parachute cash, than Bristol City. But if he's not first choice, for whatever reason, and he's had enough and wants out then, again, as we move towards the end of the transfer window then Fulham have a decision to make.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm happy with my choice of language, thanks.

The club keeps quiet on what it is doing on player acquisition, and rightly so. Therefore most of us speak from a position of ignorance.

If what I've been told is correct, then I feel happy with how the club is trying to go about its business, carefully trying to manage the competing demands of having a squad fully assembled as early as possible whilst making the best use of the club's finite resources.

Caving in to transfer or wage demands early on can cost the club a lot of money. If the club, say, save £3,000 per week on wages for 3 or 4 players now through shrewd negotiating, then that's £9-£12,000 available to spend on a loan signing in January for example.

My opinion is that the timing of signings is also a key factor. You obviously put less weight on that. Bottom-line. We are at least 5 players down with very little time before the season starts. Not good enough IMHO. And it IS just an opinion, but not based on ignorance (as you say); rather it is an opinion based on player acquisition results in the last several windows, all of which have been led for our beloved club by DB and his cronies.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My opinion is that the timing of signings is also a key factor. You obviously put less weight on that. Bottom-line. We are at least 5 players down with very little time before the season starts. Not good enough IMHO. And it IS just an opinion, but not based on ignorance (as you say); rather it is an opinion based on player acquisition results in the last several windows, all of which have been led for our beloved club by DB and his cronies.

As I say, blame Tony Bloom then. If he loosened the purse strings then we'd be awash with players. That he doesn't, when it would probably be easy to do, is a good thing as it protects the long-term interests of the football club.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Well I think you need to pull your socks up, because i'm giving you an F- for the way you do your job.

Oh hang about, silly me :dunce: You won't give a toss what i think, because your boss, who knows what you do, may have a better idea :facepalm:

My performance in my job is not in the public domain, is it? DB's is. I'll raise your:facepalm: with a :ffsparr:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

Stephen Ward - on £18,000 a week at Wolves with a year left on his contract. That's a £1m problem for Wolves that they want to resolve. Sure we could dive in, pay Wolves whatever they want and pay Ward whatever he wants (on a 2 or 3 year contract) but is that really the right thing to do. As the clock continues to tick, resolving this problem becomes more pressing for Wolves. Their hand weakens and ours strengthens.

Sam Baldock - Now entering the last year of his 3 year contract. He won't sign another one, so Bristol City either have to sell him now (for a reasonable sum), in January (for far less, see: Barnes, Ashley) or have him walk away for nothing next Summer. What are Bristol City likely to do? At what point does the Albion's offer become more attractive? I'd suggest as we get closer and closer to the 31st August they'll have some hard thinking to do.

David Stockdale - Also in the last year of his contract, although this is less of an issue for Fulham, awash with parachute cash, than Bristol City. But if he's not first choice, for whatever reason, and he's had enough and wants out then, again, as we move towards the end of the transfer window then Fulham have a decision to make.

Interesting to read that you are confident Baldock won't sign a new deal. What if City went up?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

I'd forgotten we'd come bottom the last two seasons. Being forgetful, I thought we'd got into the play offs both years but as you use the last few windows as an example, we must have been terrible in recent years.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

In which case, set a deadline on Ward, then move on to a new target.

In which case, make a market-level offer on Baldock, not an insulting one.

In which case, give this one a few more days TBH...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
DB's is. I'll raise your:facepalm: with a :ffsparr:

It's not though.

1. Player acquisition is only part of David Burke's remit. He has responsibility for the whole footballing side of the club - that's massive and you see very little of it.

2. Even if you only focus on player acquisition, you are only judging on what you have seen which is far from the full story. For example: some fantastic players were lined up in January to come to the club. Lined up by David Burke. Oscar Garcia turned them all down.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
It's not though.

1. Player acquisition is only part of David Burke's remit. He has responsibility for the whole footballing side of the club - that's massive and you see very little of it.

2. Even if you only focus on player acquisition, you are only judging on what you have seen which is far from the full story. For example: some fantastic players were lined up in January to come to the club. Lined up by David Burke. Oscar Garcia turned them all down.

Interesting. Any names (fair enough if you can't say).

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

this
all of this I agree with
but lets hope the club are also looking elsewhere just in case
having said that I do see where BW is coming from and others who see what might be perceived inaction (I might as well include myself in those too) but the way you have put it makes absolute sense and has no place on this forum:lolol:
I am sure it will all work out Ok , this time last year I was filled with great trepidation, with Sami in charge of the team this season I am reasonably happy that things will be very good ..................................touching wood with my fingers well and truly crossed

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
As I say, blame Tony Bloom then. If he loosened the purse strings then we'd be awash with players. That he doesn't, when it would probably be easy to do, is a good thing as it protects the long-term interests of the football club.

It is up to DB (and Sami) to persuade Tony and the board if they feel they need more budget. I've already said DB knew his budget.

Why are you defending him so vehemently against all the evidence of him/his team's failings? Seems a bit, well, like you might be his m8 TBH.

And don't tell me who I should blame...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It is up to DB (and Sami) to persuade Tony and the board if they feel they need more budget. I've already said DB knew his budget.

Why are you defending him so vehemently against all the evidence of him/his team's failings? Seems a bit, well, like you might be his m8 TBH.

I'm giving up. You just carry on as you are.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'd forgotten we'd come bottom the last two seasons. Being forgetful, I thought we'd got into the play offs both years but as you use the last few windows as an example, we must have been terrible in recent years.

Our position in the league is not just about DB's squad weakening policy (thankfully).

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

The bigger question is why are you so vehemently attacking him without having any idea what actually goes on? Has he done something to you personally?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
It's not though.

Fair enough. He is responsible / accountable for player recruitment, is he not?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here