Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] NSC Chess Club

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
I've joined the chess.com group but I don't think it is the new group being set up by Maffew.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
[MENTION=1557]maffew[/MENTION] is your silly game against the Canadian done yet? I've never seen a 1 move per day game before.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
What's the point in waiting so long?

Moves rarely take that long, but having the option is good. Couple of reasons really:

1 - Life/work is busy; I don't want to play a game for weeks/months only to find I've lost the game from a winning position on move 45 just because I couldn't take 5 minutes that day to make a move.
2 - I much prefer slow chess - being able to take 5/10 minutes analysing every move (even if just a couple per day) and either winning/losing a proper thought-out game is much more enjoyable for me than playing a 5/10 minute game that I'll ultimately win or lose due to someone rushing & blundering a move.

I've actually got about 30 or so games on the go, so anytime I fancy playing there will be several games in which it's my move.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Moves rarely take that long, but having the option is good. Couple of reasons really:

1 - Life/work is busy; I don't want to play a game for weeks/months only to find I've lost the game from a winning position on move 45 just because I couldn't take 5 minutes that day to make a move.
Crazy, but fair enough.
2 - I much prefer slow chess - being able to take 5/10 minutes analysing every move (even if just a couple per day) and either winning/losing a proper thought-out game is much more enjoyable for me than playing a 5/10 minute game that I'll ultimately win or lose due to someone rushing & blundering a move.
Understood, sounds good.

I've actually got about 30 or so games on the go, so anytime I fancy playing there will be several games in which it's my move.
I didn't even know this world existed :)

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
I used to play for my school back in the day and managed to beat the teacher who ran the school chess club, who got a bit miffed.
I haven't played for ages and can't find people here who can.
I taught my youngest daughter how to play, but she is growing up now, busy and can't remember how to play.
A dying art, oh, and go to bed.
When I was in junior school (Woodingdean 1965-66) we had a chess club on Friday afternoons and we also played against other schools as well. One tournament with 3-4 schools playing my brother begged me to teach him the 4-move checkmate before we started (I beat him with it all the time) so I relented and told him the moves. His first game lasted 30 seconds and yes he won with the 4-move checkmate. I have played only a couple of times since those early days but strangely enough my daughter was playing against her boyfriend last night, she lost 3-0 and she told me to butt out when I tried to help her with a few moves.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
When I was in junior school (Woodingdean 1965-66)

Why were only in junior school for one year? Were you expelled or were you of those super-bright kids who went to Oxford at 10?

Woodingdean must have been a strong chess-playing school. I remember playing a match there in 1968 and our school lost 5-1 (I was the only one who won).

As an aside, what was most remarkable about it was that we made our own way there: I can't imagine six 10 and 11 year-olds walking to Woodingdean on their own these days (even if it was only from Moulsecoomb and Bevendean)

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I'm in. Might be tricky to commit to times for 'live' games now and again but for longer/correspondence games I'm all over it. I've joined the chess.com club.

I'm not sure I'm very good, though...

Same applies to me, haven't played in years but i'm in

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Why were only in junior school for one year? Were you expelled or were you of those super-bright kids who went to Oxford at 10?

Woodingdean must have been a strong chess-playing school. I remember playing a match there in 1968 and our school lost 5-1 (I was the only one who won).

As an aside, what was most remarkable about it was that we made our own way there: I can't imagine six 10 and 11 year-olds walking to Woodingdean on their own these days (even if it was only from Moulsecoomb and Bevendean)
The year was the chess club (1965-66) year, my last year at Woodingdean Juniors. We moved from Woodingdean to Moulsecoomb but I still went to school in Woodingdean for the last year of the juniors then went to Stanmer SC. As you said 10-11 year olds getting buses on their own or walking miles is not the done thing over the last 20-25 years. I grew up in Woodingdean but was made in Moulsecoomb.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I like 90 minutes games with a break at halftime. They have changed the clock rules recently and I don't like the new time rules. Not sure I understand them. The old ones with 2 hours for 40 moves was about right.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I like 90 minutes games with a break at halftime. They have changed the clock rules recently and I don't like the new time rules. Not sure I understand them. The old ones with 2 hours for 40 moves was about right.

90 mins, no break, 40 moves is my preferred format

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

We lost one competitve match in 2 years when I played for my school and that was to...

The Worcester Blind College

We also lost 5-1 over 6 boards, I got the 1 on board 1

Absolutely fascinating how the brain adapts with a disability. So how it worked we had a normal board with normal pieces. The blind students had a braille board with different knobbly bits, and diferent knobbly bit on each of the 18 distinct pieces and a little peg in the bottom, like a travel chess set. The board size was tiny about the size of 2 hands. They read the game with placing their hand on top of the pieces. After the game the college took copys o our notations then converted them to braille and cassette for the students records and sharing games with each other/learning. Inspiring

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Chess

A break is always going to be on someone’s turn though. Even if you hide the board, they may remember it and effectively get extra time to consider their next move, surely?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
A break is always going to be on someone’s turn though. Even if you hide the board, they may remember it and effectively get extra time to consider their next move, surely?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My club was based at the Labour Club. Trust me, most members wouldnt remember the board, the bar was too cheap and you were lucky to have the clock stopped only once in a 90 minute game

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
OK due to unexpecedtly being away for 2 weeks from Tuesday I'm gonna call all registrations in at midnight tonight so I can try and get it organised. I'm gonna have no internet access which is a pain. Does anyone have a preferred format?

As I dont know anyones ability/gradings does anyone have a preferred format? Knockout or league style? 2 day games is my suggestion I'll publish a list of entrants shortly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here