Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

Its a no-brainer. I'd be a hypocrite not too after the noises I make to the children. Also, have an accident and lose some of your compo.

I've created a monster of my own. My mate, who smoked me up the hills yesterday, kept talking about Yorks. I advised him to leave it for 6 months to get proper fit and to get optimum conditions. He went back today. I had to talk him into Strava, but he's obviously as hooked as us all.

In more other news, it looks like veloviewer is changing. A fee to keep as it is or a lite free option it seems.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
So, have I got too much time on my hands now the nights have drawn in?, or is my faith in Young Frenchies finally going to come to fruition?

Romain Bardet 66/1
Thibaut Pinot 33/1

To win 2015 Tour de France.

Now if those two aren't worth an e/w shout at those prices then I don't know who are with those parcours :thumbsup:

It doesn't need a miracle for any of the big four to fall off (literally in some cases) and a podium spot looks very doable for the French again. Pinot got it by default last year. Bardet attacking whilst the rest look at each other could be a dream scenario.

Anyone fancy bringing me back down to earth?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So, have I got too much time on my hands now the nights have drawn in?, or is my faith in Young Frenchies finally going to come to fruition?

Romain Bardet 66/1
Thibaut Pinot 33/1

To win 2015 Tour de France.

Now if those two aren't worth an e/w shout at those prices then I don't know who are with those parcours :thumbsup:

It doesn't need a miracle for any of the big four to fall off (literally in some cases) and a podium spot looks very doable for the French again. Pinot got it by default last year. Bardet attacking whilst the rest look at each other could be a dream scenario.

Anyone fancy bringing me back down to earth?
Walk away now, that just isn't going to happen.
Sure, gone are the days of Pierre Frenchie being an after thought, but they are still a long way off the big 4.
They are also in a very big group of possible candidates.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Walk away now, that just isn't going to happen.
Sure, gone are the days of Pierre Frenchie being an after thought, but they are still a long way off the big 4.
They are also in a very big group of possible candidates.

Well who says the big 4 all end up starting for starters. Then you've got the unpredictable first week which is even more unpredictable next year. Not beyond the realms to see the likes of Froome being caught out by the cobbles and Quintana in the cross winds, and there's bonus seconds on the line in stages 1-9. Very light on TT, although the TTT could catch my two out.

Come on SB, I'm trying to conjure up a Roy of the Rovers for French cycling here, preferably with Romain Bardet as Roy. Help me out and stop being such a party pooper.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Would you put your 2 boys against the big 4's second stringers?
Even then it's not a done deal.
What about the French teams, do you really trust them to hold it together?

Sorry I just cant look beyond the big boys, and tbh I hope they do compete so get the race we were denied this year.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Would you put your 2 boys against the big 4's second stringers?
Even then it's not a done deal.
What about the French teams, do you really trust them to hold it together?

Sorry I just cant look beyond the big boys, and tbh I hope they do compete so get the race we were denied this year.

Question 1 - Yes, my two can be as good as the big boys second stringers, on their day. If the weight of expectation doesn't get to them, they can rise to the occasion.

Question 2 - Well AG2R won the team comp last year :thumbsup: And your mate has left FdJ so that could be a bonus as well :lol: But anyway, they're cyclists not footballers :wink:

I'm with you, I'd like all 4 big guns there so we don't get a repeat of this year, but already Froome is making noises about possibly concentrating on the double from the other two GT's. Probably just bluff, but no bluff that the 2015 route could have been a whole lot better for him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've just had a look on Skybet, although I'm slightly handicapped as I don't really know the route, there's still a lot of candidates worthy of a penny or two.

With you're 2 in mind a half decent case could be made for Kelderman, Uran, Konig, VD Broeck, Dan Martin and so on.
All of which considerably bigger in the market.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I've just had a look on Skybet, although I'm slightly handicapped as I don't really know the route, there's still a lot of candidates worthy of a penny or two.

With you're 2 in mind a half decent case could be made for Kelderman, Uran, Konig, VD Broeck, Dan Martin and so on.
All of which considerably bigger in the market.

I can't see any of them finishing above my two, if they all start. All of those will have at least one bad day in the mountains. The only one who might have a chance is Uran, but he usually does the Giro & Vuelta instead and he'll probably have preferred more TT as well, so could well give it a miss again.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No sorry I just can't see the value of 33/1 & 66/1 when you're realistically only talking about third place.
Plus the fact they are very unlikely to move in the market.

Go big on a young'un like a Yates, just in case they start the season really well.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
On a completely different note, and probably more in keeping with a November evening:-

If you could get away with it, yes I know that's a BIG IF, would you mount you're favourite bike and hang it picture-like to the wall?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Bike on the wall?, as a picture?.............Not really, no.

Mind you, if I was loaded and had a big airy warehouse type front room then one of those wall racks to store the bikes on would be quite nice I suppose.

furniture_for_bikes_01.jpg

Edit: This is an even better look for hanging your bike on the wall:

View attachment 60045

Not showing. Look here instead http://www.minimal-ism.com/2012/10/diy-bike-wall-hangerrack/

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is Team NSC turning out for this one?

It's fast becoming the best sportive in the South on reputation. Expect to sell out by Xmas.

http://puncheur.co.uk
Yeah I could easily be tempted.
£25 seems a little steep, but it will be nice to have a target to aim at through January and February.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yeah I could easily be tempted.
£25 seems a little steep, but it will be nice to have a target to aim at through January and February.

The hot food and soup at the end is well worth it though! I did it in 2013 and it just has a really nice cycling club-esque feel to it unlike some of the more branded corporate ones. I seem to be remember them just getting a great route - although finishing at the top of the Beacon after a testing slog is a _____!

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
A lot of shorts are doing away with the leg gripper in favour of mild compression throughout. Maybe that's the issue?

I think that's what they are aiming for, they do mention something about a wider more comfortable gripper, however this was way too loose, it was flapping. I guess maybe my thunder thighs aren't quite as chunky as I'd thought, I've re-ordered in a medium, so we'll see...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bit early in the year for me! Imagine that following a long snowy February. I expect [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] to tell me to go and hang my head in shame.
You're going to have to wait, ive finally got the green light to call out [MENTION=566]Bad Ash[/MENTION].

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
. I guess maybe my thunder thighs aren't quite as chunky as I'd thought, I've re-ordered in a medium, so we'll see...
Think yourself lucky you're a geek.
On any other NSC thread that little possible fact would have been bluntly pointed out to you :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bit early in the year for me! Imagine that following a long snowy February. I expect [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] to tell me to go and hang my head in shame.
I am a devote non-winter cyclists, but I do want to have a better year in '15.

Therefore I have 2 options:-

A) Diet, lose weight, and work on my core muscle strength.

Or

2) suck it up, wear more clothes and just ride through the winter.

Option A isn't happening in a land of sofas and sweets.
So up I'll just have to suck it!!.

Having the December sportive in mind is helping with my motivation.
Which is why the Puncheur would be good for me, as it comes at just the right time to keep me going in the new year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here