Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst band that wew successful?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I hate it when people criticise music. If people play something which makes someone else happy, who the **** are you or I to say they're not good enough.

Take Radiohead for example. I cannot, for the life of me, understand how they're so big. They are insanely talented, but their music does absolutely nothing for me. Not a thing. But given the droves of people who worship them, they're not shit. How can they be?

U2 on the other hand. Now they ARE shit.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Radiohead, imho, are the most fabled, pretentious, overrated dullards recording right now. Just sayin'.

Pablo Honey (1993)
The Bends (1995)
OK Computer (1997)
Kid A (2000)
Amnesiac (2001)
Hail to the Thief (2003)

Could give two shits what they are recording 'right now'. it is not possible to overrate the above, so I'm afraid you're as wrong as purple velvet loon pants - with embroidery

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Pablo Honey (1993)
The Bends (1995)
OK Computer (1997)
Kid A (2000)
Amnesiac (2001)
Hail to the Thief (2003)

Could give two shits what they are recording 'right now'. it is not possible to overrate the above, so I'm afraid you're as wrong as purple velvet loon pants - with embroidery

The wonder of music, each to their own. Personally I don't like them at all, but many do.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I think if any band or artist has been successful then they can not be sh!t, you just may not like that style of music the voice of the singer. I can not stand the music my teenage daughter listens to, but her and her many friends love it, so when I am asking her to reduce the volume I say it is because it is not my taste and not that it is sh!t.

I am massive fan of probably the most ridiculed and slagged off band and musician in history in Genesis and Phil Collins yet they sold over 300 million songs between them. The vile directed towards Phil Collins was so over the top, people celebrating thinking he was dead, WTF his sin was to write songs that a lot of people liked and they were played a lot on the radio.

I see the same things now directed at Ed Sheeran, Coldplay and Adel. What is the matter with people? If you don't like it, turn it off, don't buy the stuff.

This rant is not directed at anyone on this thread. I just don't understand why some people get so wound up by successful bands that they would wish them dead.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
I think if any band or artist has been successful then they can not be sh!t, you just may not like that style of music the voice of the singer. I can not stand the music my teenage daughter listens to, but her and her many friends love it, so when I am asking her to reduce the volume I say it is because it is not my taste and not that it is sh!t.

I am massive fan of probably the most ridiculed and slagged off band and musician in history in Genesis and Phil Collins yet they sold over 300 million songs between them. The vile directed towards Phil Collins was so over the top, people celebrating thinking he was dead, WTF his sin was to write songs that a lot of people liked and they were played a lot on the radio.

I see the same things now directed at Ed Sheeran, Coldplay and Adel. What is the matter with people? If you don't like it, turn it off, don't buy the stuff.

This rant is not directed at anyone on this thread. I just don't understand why some people get so wound up by successful bands that they would wish them dead.

Interesting mentioning Ed Sheeran and Adel in the same quote as Phil Collins - we have gone back to that easy listening thing. Give it 10 years and we'll wonder how Ed Sheeran filled Wembley, just like we wondered how Phil Collins was so popular after the event.

True though, no point getting wound up about it. Even more pointless than discussing Politics.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I tried to bring my son up the right way, indoctrinating him with my music, and he has gone on to be a musician. Unfortunately although much of his taste is good (he introduced me to Arcade Fire, At the Drive In, and a band I missed at the time: Interpol, after all), he does have a penchant for a lot of stuff that seems to be part of an NME alternative universe of shite:

Ash
The Strokes
Muse

whose only outstanding feature is their lack of originality. Take Muse. Please - take them and flush them away. Blatent and embarrassing rip off of Radiohead, with added naffness and superficiality

Weezer
Biffy Clyro

I could go on but that would just be rubbing salt in my own wounds :shootself:wozza:

I'm sure my son would say much the same about me, especially when it comes to my penchant for gay German goth dance music but, in the context of this thread, I can at least confirm that none of it is 'successful' :lolol:

Last edited:

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Red Hot Chilli Peppers

There is an ongoing debate where I work: I say I'd rather go and see Coldplay than the RHCP, but the other middle aged men and women insist that RHCP are funky, hip and happening and nothing like awful old Coldplay. I don't think they're right - I have no love for Coldplay at all, but I really think I'd rather hold a lighter up in the air to Yellow than sit through anything by that "crazy", inky, made-for-MTV crew. When I hear Californication, I literally blush and my eyes water with embarrassment - I hate hearing it in public because of how wretched it makes me feel.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
The Smiths. It was the voice. Still has me running for the off button every time I hear it moaning and whining.

I do like metal though.

You may not like them but I'm sorry to say they were one of the worst bands which were successful is utter nonsense. One of THE hallmarks of a great band is when you hear them for the first time, it sounds nothing like you've heard before. The Smiths fall into that category. They had their own sound which was completely distinctive. No-one else sounded like them.
Only the really great acts have that. The Beatles, Bowie, The Pistols, Prince, Nirvana, Joy Division, Kraftwerk, AC/DC, they all had a sound which made you stop the first time you heard them. Not many have that. The Smiths did.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
You may not like them but I'm sorry to say they were one of the worst bands which were successful is utter nonsense. One of THE hallmarks of a great band is when you hear them for the first time, it sounds nothing like you've heard before. The Smiths fall into that category. They had their own sound which was completely distinctive. No-one else sounded like them..

Absolutely. I've never been one to listen to The Smiths, but to suggest that they are anything other than a massively important, seminal band and to dismiss them as unlistenable or depressing dsplays utter ignorance of music in general, regardless of what your chosen genre of listening is (see also Joy Division).

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I tried to bring my son up the right way, indoctrinating him with my music, and he has gone on to be a musician. Unfortunately although much of his taste is good (he introduced me to Arcade Fire:

Arcade Fire and LCD Soundsystem are two bands salivated over by the usual suspects on here, and while I own many of their albums, they again have churned out a hell of a lot of shit along with the better stuff, a hell of a lot, but they are still two important bands.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
My thunder has been stolen, however i will repeat it.

UB40

There's a rat in the kitchen what am I gonna do.... that line alone makes them worthy of my vote..

Red Red Whine as well. ABYSMAL dreck, that for some reason seems to have an endless life of its own and just will not DIE.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Interesting mentioning Ed Sheeran and Adel in the same quote as Phil Collins - we have gone back to that easy listening thing. Give it 10 years and we'll wonder how Ed Sheeran filled Wembley, just like we wondered how Phil Collins was so popular after the event.

True though, no point getting wound up about it. Even more pointless than discussing Politics.

Phil Collins is still filling massive venues all around Europe. Legend.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

Ed Sheeran shot himself in the foot with the back-to-back releases earlier this year from the new album. While each individual single has it's own style, they're still Ed's voice and hearing 3 of his tracks in my morning *and* evening commute is a bit too much (admittedly my commute is 2 hours, but still...). Space those releases out over a full year and I suspect folks would be lauding the stylistic changes in each track instead of bemoaning that we're constantly being bombarded with his tracks.

Anyway, my actual contribution to this thread:

Any poppy manufactured boy/girl band.

And along side them, the vast majority of X Factor etc winners (although thankfully most of those have turned out to be of only limited and short term success).

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
There is an ongoing debate where I work: I say I'd rather go and see Coldplay than the RHCP, but the other middle aged men and women insist that RHCP are funky, hip and happening and nothing like awful old Coldplay. I don't think they're right - I have no love for Coldplay at all, but I really think I'd rather hold a lighter up in the air to Yellow than sit through anything by that "crazy", inky, made-for-MTV crew. When I hear Californication, I literally blush and my eyes water with embarrassment - I hate hearing it in public because of how wretched it makes me feel.

I'd rather watch coldplay than 'the chillies' (at the back, at the bar, but still).

boik

Absolutely. I've never been one to listen to The Smiths, but to suggest that they are anything other than a massively important, seminal band and to dismiss them as unlistenable or depressing dsplays utter ignorance of music in general, regardless of what your chosen genre of listening is (see also Joy Division).

From my experience, the whole divide between Smiths types and Metal types (huge generalisations in the groupings obviously) is the difference between people who think the lyrics are important and those who don't listen to them. Used to have this debate where I worked and the number of people who don't listen to lyrics properly is frightening. Same people also liked the superhero comics/films and stuff, which I guess is predictable.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Have we got to 20 pages without a mention of the unlistenable Sigur Ros?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here