Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What was the scariest moment of your life?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Swimming in a lake deep in the Australian outback then getting out and being advised that it was not a good idea to return. The lake is full of deadly snakes.

Also, after being attacked with a broken bottle a number of years back. The nutter slashed an artery in my face and there was much concern. Lost about two pints of blood apparently. Needless to say the scar is still there.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
1- Driving up passed waterhall on the A23 then down the other side when the gas pedal on my car got stuck to the floor. Was travelling at about 80mph and speeding up while going down the dip. Had my 5 month son in the back and had no idea what to do Driving an automatic I switched off the engine and cruised to the hard shoulder. Stick think about what would have happened if I’d used the gear stick or handbrake.
2- Getting stranded up in the alps while skiing off piste aged 11. Fell over, lost my skis while a blizzard came in. Couldn’t see in front of me either side, although knew a vertical drop was to my right. Disorientated I just sat down and waited for a few hours for the blizzard to stop. Was finally found by a local some hours later. I had at that age submitted to defeat and expected to die.
3- Having a pretty bad fear of anyone dying from a young age I was quite surprised that holding my Mum’s hand all night while she slowly passed away was probably the least scariest moment of my life.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Last Wednesday. My daughter was off school after not feeling well ,being minded by mum (Mrs Diffbrook). About 2.45 my daughter (10yrs) was shaking, fitting and generally unresponsive on the sofa. My wife pulled her over and she had a blue face and a rash all over her body. My wife thought the worst - meningitis.

An ambulance was called and I was called at work by a neighbour. Time just seemed to move so slowly and I felt helpless. I drove at top speed to Hospital. I was worried out of my mind that it was meningitis or a epileptic fit. When the ambulance arrived with my little one (now sitting up), alert with a breathing mask on her face, I just cried like a baby. A mixture of concern, but with relief that she seemed ok.

An overnight stay as a precaution. The cause: Severe tonsillitis, with a fever that spiked and caused what is known as a Rigor. No further worry, but really scary to witness.

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
Sailing with the task force in the Falklands in 82 experiencing my first air raid. Scared the shit out of me..

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Loads in my life,broke my neck in 81 in Cyprus, I was scared I'd end up paralysed, I've a genetic heart condition, over 60 cardiac arrests now, hopefully sorted out now by our wonderful NHS, but, I'll only know if it hasn't worked when I have another cardiac arrest. Actually, these scare Mrs LLF far more than me, cos I'm always asleep. I had two guns pointed at me on my 18th birthday in Marseille, that was a good night out, and, I was the victim of an attempted mugging on Pompey station. I had Police firing guns over my head in Lisbon, they thought we were yank Marines who had rioted earlier in the day.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I've had a loaded gun drawn on me in anger and been threatened with a knife but 2 scariest moments were:

went to dr's with a really persistent headache and he advised i go to hospital for a scan. When I said I'd have to go home to get my wallet the dr called a cab for me and paid for it himself. That put the fear in me so much. Turned out I had some sort of meningitis which cleared up OK but the fact the Dr did that made me know it is very serious.

Scariest thing has to be my 3 year old son collapsing with pneumonia and then spending 9 days in intensive care at the Royal Alexandra. Nothing like seeing your little one suffering to mess with your head.

That first one sounds like viral meningitis. I had that, would be making my way into work with that bloody headache and then I'd just collapse. No warning, basically fainting as I was walking. Weird, went away on it's own in the end.

The second one is terrifying. Once you have kids there is no fear like one of them getting hurt, etc. Jam The Man's post is so hard to read.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Last Wednesday. My daughter was off school after not feeling well ,being minded by mum (Mrs Diffbrook). About 2.45 my daughter (10yrs) was shaking, fitting and generally unresponsive on the sofa. My wife pulled her over and she had a blue face and a rash all over her body. My wife thought the worst - meningitis.

An ambulance was called and I was called at work by a neighbour. Time just seemed to move so slowly and I felt helpless. I drove at top speed to Hospital. I was worried out of my mind that it was meningitis or a epileptic fit. When the ambulance arrived with my little one (now sitting up), alert with a breathing mask on her face, I just cried like a baby. A mixture of concern, but with relief that she seemed ok.

An overnight stay as a precaution. The cause: Severe tonsillitis, with a fever that spiked and caused what is known as a Rigor. No further worry, but really scary to witness.

Happy everything is well with your nipper. Once you have a child there is nothing more scary then something happening to them. I don't think anything happening to me would come close, to the paralysing fear of something happening to them.

flint

Jul 9, 2003
eastbourne
Seeing one of those concrete lorries coming up behind me when we had stopped in traffic and he clearly was not going to be able to stop. Guy probably on phone but at last second he swerved off the road and I saw him come past us on the inside demolishing bushes on the way. By the time he stopped he had past us! The firm concerned very local.

Templeton Peck

Faceman
Jul 15, 2009
Brighton
Having a knife pulled on me by someone out of their mind on pills because I was staring at his coat too much.

Cliff jumping whilst skiing and inexplicably having a ski come loose and fall off in mid air whilst attempting my first ever cliff jump.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
can't post mine as it involves somebody else and it would be disrespectful, but one of the most scariest moments for me was losing sight of my young nephew at Worthing v BHA friendly at the time Sarah Payne went missing .... my heart pounded so much I thought it was going to explode .... he'd just gone to the gents, thank God

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
can't post mine as it involves somebody else and it would be disrespectful, but one of the most scariest moments for me was losing sight of my young nephew at Worthing v BHA friendly at the time Sarah Payne went missing .... my heart pounded so much I thought it was going to explode .... he'd just gone to the gents, thank God

Not scared as such, but I was f**king worried last December when our 'free spirited' oblivious 12 year old decided to disappear amongst a crowd of countless 10,000's at Disneyworld. In the US, the home of serial killers and child disappearances.

I immediately went to the main gates a mile away and watched every one leaving like a hawk. My wife stayed where we'd lost her and we kept in contact by mobile (a godsend at the time).

45 minutes later she turned up, after going on the Expedition Everest ride without our say so.

She got two massive bollockings, one from each of us.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Pretty much anything adverse related to my son has me in bits . . . . starting from his first 3 months of life at the height of 'cot death' fever and the mantra that the first 3 months were the highest risk.

Apart from that, my own foibles include (i) aquaplaning in torrential rain at 100 mph on that down-hill bit of the M6 a couple of miles after it exits the M1, (ii) slipping and sliding on my front, feet first, all the way down a black run in France last year (aged 58, FFS) while screaming like a stuck pig (FFS again) (iii) my bank declining to foward my mortgage payment owing to my being 5 grand overdrawn, with an £800/month repayment and an £1000/month income, oh and a £20 grand negative equity, plus my ex wife angling for half the house.

Apart from that, everything has been peachy. Ish. :vuvu:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
That first one sounds like viral meningitis. I had that, would be making my way into work with that bloody headache and then I'd just collapse. No warning, basically fainting as I was walking. Weird, went away on it's own in the end.

The second one is terrifying. Once you have kids there is no fear like one of them getting hurt, etc. Jam The Man's post is so hard to read.

There's nothing like something happening to your kids to give you that cold sense of dread. At 8 weeks old we took our youngest to the Dr in Haywards Heath as he had a temperature and was really sleepy. The Doc took his vest off (the baby's, not the Dr's, that would have been inappropriate) and took one look at his skin and said "You need to get to the Royal Alex in Brighton. Now. I'd call an ambulance but it will take too long".

Meningitis and 3 days in intensive care in a children's hospital certainly puts the shits up you. The thing that struck me most about it was that when we left after 4 or 5 days we noticed parents that had been there for months with their kids. I cannot possibly imagine what that must be like, and how anybody can cope with it.

Scariest thing that has happened to me personally is probably one of numerous scrapes I got into in South America, or maybe being stuck in a KFC in Burslem surrounded by about 15 Port Vale fans who were about to kick the shit out of me when the police turned up, but it all pales into insignificance when compared with something happening to one of your kids.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here