Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Country pub for food near Arundel ish

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Booo, such a shame.

Sadly that's not a surprising outcome when a proper country/village pub is presented with the opportunity for change.

Oh well onwards and upwards in the search for 'West Sussex pubs nobody else knows about'.

Ah well, back to the Riser in Nutbourne, everyone knows about it, and it's as raggedy as always, but the beer's great, and it still has a pub grub menu together with the occasional dish with jus and pea shoots.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Ah well, back to the Riser in Nutbourne, everyone knows about it, and it's as raggedy as always, but the beer's great, and it still has a pub grub menu together with the occasional dish with jus and pea shoots.

I've not been there for a while, i remember their burgers being superb.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Is that pub at Hooksway near Chilgrove still going? Tucked right down a country lane - we came across it while looking for the red kites which live in the woods there. Unfortunately it was a Monday, which meant the pub wasn't open. It was listed in the Good Beer Guide, and was apparently on a hunting trail used by Henry VIII. It's no longer in the guide, which made me wonder if it was one of the many sad pub closures.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is that pub at Hooksway near Chilgrove still going? Tucked right down a country lane - we came across it while looking for the red kites which live in the woods there. Unfortunately it was a Monday, which meant the pub wasn't open. It was listed in the Good Beer Guide, and was apparently on a hunting trail used by Henry VIII. It's no longer in the guide, which made me wonder if it was one of the many sad pub closures.
The Royal Oak?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
T'internet suggests it's still there, and looking good.

I only know 2 things about the place:-

1 - Seeing the signpost for it means I'm just about to ride up a long climb.
&
B - It's better than The Black Rabbit. :lol:

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't mind the Arun View down in Littlehampton, a reasonable family pub. Food is usual pub stuff, but it's quite a big place, decent parking and a good view over the river.

So expanding the discussion to Littlehampton, nothing can comes close to the brilliant Nelson on Climping Road.

http://nelsonhotelsussex.co.uk

Stunning food, great setting, lovely management and staff.

Good value too.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can any rural pub restaurant match the Black Rabbit?

The Black Rabbit may have been something special 30 years ago but my recent experience makes me think it's no better than average on the food front these days.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can any rural pub restaurant match the Black Rabbit?
Most, if not all.

It's a glorified Harvester charging simpleton's top end money for low grade food, £11 for Ham Egg and Chips, please.

Fair play to them, I don't have a problem with that policy.
I just don't enjoy the thought of been squeezed onto a tiny table, unable to hear my company or for that matter myself think.

To me, in the Summer, it's a 'stand at the bar waving a £20 note' kind of pub.
Not the highest of praise.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Most, if not all.

It's a glorified Harvester charging simpleton's top end money for low grade food, £11 for Ham Egg and Chips, please.

Fair play to them, I don't have a problem with that policy.
I just don't enjoy the thought of been squeezed onto a tiny table, unable to hear my company or for that matter myself think.

To me, in the Summer, it's a 'stand at the bar waving a £20 note' kind of pub.
Not the highest of praise.

Digressing, ever tried the Nelson on the Arun in Littlehampton?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Digressing, ever tried the Nelson on the Arun in Littlehampton?

Not a massive fan of that place tbh, i usually go to the Arun View if i'm in Littlehampton.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It is run by Maciedonians, from the same family who own the Vardar.
Great food.

It is the same family of Macie-donians that set up this franchised chain of grocery stores?:

IMG_2168.JPG

Jul 7, 2003
The Black Rabbit may have been something special 30 years ago but my recent experience makes me think it's no better than average on the food front these days.

Agreed. For a long time now, the Black Rabbit has been an over-priced, over-rated tourist trap and place for posers. Food has never been anything special and expensive but people will pay for it as once you have walked / driven that far, most couldn't be bothered to go somewhere else.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks to [MENTION=903]West Hoathly Seagull[/MENTION] I now want to eat a homemade burger with Cheesy Baconnaisup.{bacon, cheese, mayo, ketchup} in the http://www.royaloakhooksway.co.uk/index.html

It'll either make me :laugh: or :cry:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I wouldn’t mind trying out the Sportsman at Amberley given so many people are giving it a nod. Does anyone know though who has been there if its wheelchair friendly access wise?
As for the Black Rabbit lovely location for an outside summer drink by the river but as someone else said its not a pub it’s a cafeteria…..the inside has the ambience of Joseph Fritzl`s dungeon …..and that’s being generous.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I wouldn’t mind trying out the Sportsman at Amberley given so many people are giving it a nod. Does anyone know though who has been there if its wheelchair friendly access wise?
As for the Black Rabbit lovely location for an outside summer drink by the river but as someone else said its not a pub it’s a cafeteria…..the inside has the ambience of Joseph Fritzl`s dungeon …..and that’s being generous.

I think if you use the patio area with wonderful views over the wildbrooks, you can then use the conservatory entrance into the restaurant and bar area. Probably best to give them a call to confirm though.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here