Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barber - ID checks of fans at away games?

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I would hazard a guess that all clubs at least in the top two divisions will be implementing this. I can't imagine us being the only club going out on a limb by ourselves.

So would I - but I'd be interested to hear a concrete example of someone turned away from a stadium by an official of a different club - just seems bizarre.

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Maybe touting is an issue here too. For the first time I heard touts operating outside the Amex at the Newcastle game. Scum bags, welcome to the big time.

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
Maybe touting is an issue here too. For the first time I heard touts operating outside the Amex at the Newcastle game. Scum bags, welcome to the big time.

How much where they asking ...out of interest?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Don't think they can. The away club supplies the ticket stock

I wonder if the away clubs will start printing tickets locally if it's going to be a football wide scheme?

If it's us only I'm not sure how they will match tickets against id unless the checkers have an electronic list on something like an IPad.

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
If for the Geordie end i expect a deep fried mars bar would of sufficed ...

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I don't have kids in uni
That's the example the club were giving about not being allowed to pass season tickets down in the family
Please put down your season ticket

You have 10 seconds to comply

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
The ****ing problem at Forest was there were 8000 (EIGHT THOUSAND) spare seats not made available to Albion. Honestly, there are days when football disappears up its own arrogant backside and today is just another one. Barber scored massive own goal with this but why should he care. Its his ball and he chooses who gets to play with. When we're back in L1 one day, he'll have been binned with a huge pay off and club be creeping and crawling to get fans through turnstiles but this sort of thing will be remembered to the clubs costs as fans have very long memories and dont take kindly to. Trouble is, as soon as a club is on the rise it gets all heavy handed. Albion do well to remember where its come from and where it will return to sure as eggs are eggs one day.
Absolutely this.

Classic Barber. Every now and then he likes to show how out of touch he is with the average Albion fan. Almost certainly 99% of the people going to be impacted by this are using the system with the best of intentions, like buying tickets for family members.

Good businsssman, absolute prick when it comes to the experience of being a football fan.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I wonder if the away clubs will start printing tickets locally if it's going to be a football wide scheme?

If it's us only I'm not sure how they will match tickets against id unless the checkers have an electronic list on something like an IPad.

All away tickets will have some sort of number on them, as well as a seat number, so all that would need to happen is for a record to be kept of which number ticket/seat was going to which fan Id - I'm sure this happens anyway. You'd then only need to change Albion fan ID numbers to actual names and you'd have a list of who had what ticket.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
How early will you need to get to away grounds. My Rotherham ticket doesn't have my name on it so there would be a need to cross check against a list to see who had been allocated this ticket then to check id. But what happens if you order say 4 tickets for friends but had out tickets to the wrong oerson arrive at different times and the check says not your ticket you're banned but if 4 of you were together you could shuffle cards around.

Also for away games the club are just agents so xan they enforce. Also uf home club don't id check their own fans are we being discriminated against.

How long before photos or thumb prints on all home tickets?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I can understand to some extent the stance taken but as others have said, exactly how much of a problem is this. If they do chose to go down this route then they should make it far easier to transfer tickets or sell them back for a full refund if someone is unable to attend a match. That could mean the ticket exchange should be open sooner and offer cash refunds, not vouchers. As for away games then again if someone can't go you should be able to transfer it to another person if they have the required loyalty points or get a full refund. Fair enough if the club want to control who goes but they also have to be fair to fans.

I feel for families that have several kids and may switch a season ticket between them. That builds the fan base and perhaps the club should allow a system for shared season tickets. If a family have three kids and can only really afford one season for them they may still have three Albion fans who may go on to each get shirts etc and eventually season tickets themselves in the future.

If we do go up and aren't successful, there may well be a few empty seats around and God only knows how many STH wouldn't renew following a relegation.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Slightly off topic...but how many championship grounds still do the 'frisk' before you go in....of the three I've been to this season not one searched even my rucksack let alone the 'frisk'

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
All sounds reasonable. My guess is that it's to prevent touting in anticipation of some huge away games coming up and possibly playing in the PL next year. IF (mahooosive if) we get promoted, there will be a large demand for tickets every away game and probably a very active black market.

Edit: I would be amazed if anyone ever got their tickets checked unless they were ejected - it wouldn't be practical. So I wouldn't be worrying too much about passing them on to a friend that you know isn't going to act like a knob.

Last edited:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
How can this possibly be enforced? Barber is saying it is going to be AT away games, so the club is going to have to get permission to do this from every away team, because when you buy an away ticket you're buying a ticket from nottingham forest (or whoever), not our club - so you're abiding by the issuing clubs T&Cs - Barber can't just tack a few more on. If someone came up to me inside or outside an away ground posing as a member of BHAFC staff demanding to see an ID - I'd tell em where to go without thinking twice. Problem solved.

As per usual Barber has seen a small, leigitimate problem and taken a ****ing bulldozer to it, made himself look like a complete ****ing idiot and a man wholely disinterested in the fans (no wait, customers :facepalm:)

He's an absolute bellend of the highest order. Still cannot believe he gets paid £250k PLUS a year to come up with these bollocks schemes.

I'm not sure I could have put it any better.

I posted here years ago that Barber was a corporate suit who didn't understand football fans. And you laughed at me. Well. You're not laughing now are you?!! :lolol:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here