Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murphy's red card

It DOESN'T matter. Chances are the ref didn't spot the slip and only saw Murphy connect with two feet, therefore correctly sending him off. There's a chance it might be overturned with the benefit of replays, but in real time I'd say the ref can't be criticised.

Pretty much all of this, every time I see it in real time, which is all I've seen, it looks all the world like a straight red.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I am just trying to think what they could possibly do to not overturn it. If you are not in control when you tackle it is a straight red.
I think it probably should be overturned though.

The law book mentions nothing about control when talking about fouls. It's about safety, excessive force, and I imagine most referees will also consider any particularly aggressive motivation in the challenge, too.

Serious foul play
A player is guilty of serious foul play if he uses excessive force or brutality
against an opponent when challenging for the ball when it is in play.

A tackle that endangers the safety of an opponent must be sanctioned as
serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the
front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force
and endangering the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

Advantage should not be applied in situations involving serious foul play unless
there is a clear subsequent opportunity to score a goal. The referee must send
off the player guilty of serious foul play when the ball is next out of play.

A player who is guilty of serious foul play should be sent off and play is
restarted with a direct free kick from the position where the offence occurred
(see Law 13 – Position of free kick) or a penalty kick (if the offence occurred
inside the offender’s penalty area).​

I believe, the red card will only be overturned if evidence suggests the ref did not see what he claims he saw, so it will depend on what he put in his report.

If his report says he saw, or thought he saw, the player lunging in, we will probably win the appeal.

If the report says he thought the slip endangered the safety of the opponent, we might struggle to get it overturned.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I predict that over the next 37 games, a ref will get a decision wrong in our favour that results in us winning a game we'd have otherwise drawn.
And I reckon most teams will drop at least 2 points because of a ref's howler.

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
He slipped.It was an accident.
I doubt that it will be overturned though.We aren't Arsenal.
Two points lost that could be crucial at the end of the season.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
He slipped.It was an accident.
I doubt that it will be overturned though.We aren't Arsenal.
Two points lost that could be crucial at the end of the season.

More crucial than the two points we dropped last week when playing against ten men for 40mins, despite having a penalty? More than the two points dropped v Huddersfield? More than any future points we will have to drop for these to be crucial (if we win our remaining 37 games, there is no way these dropped points will mean anything)?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The law book mentions nothing about control when talking about fouls. It's about safety, excessive force, and I imagine most referees will also consider any particularly aggressive motivation in the challenge, too.

Serious foul play
A player is guilty of serious foul play if he uses excessive force or brutality
against an opponent when challenging for the ball when it is in play.

A tackle that endangers the safety of an opponent must be sanctioned as
serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the
front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force
and endangering the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

Advantage should not be applied in situations involving serious foul play unless
there is a clear subsequent opportunity to score a goal. The referee must send
off the player guilty of serious foul play when the ball is next out of play.

A player who is guilty of serious foul play should be sent off and play is
restarted with a direct free kick from the position where the offence occurred
(see Law 13 – Position of free kick) or a penalty kick (if the offence occurred
inside the offender’s penalty area).​

I believe, the red card will only be overturned if evidence suggests the ref did not see what he claims he saw, so it will depend on what he put in his report.

If his report says he saw, or thought he saw, the player lunging in, we will probably win the appeal.

If the report says he thought the slip endangered the safety of the opponent, we might struggle to get it overturned.

But he wasn't even making a tackle or a challenge was he - so by the laws of the game it wasn't a red - a pure accident. Sorted.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
And I reckon most teams will drop at least 2 points because of a ref's howler.

True. You could argue the Fulham one wasn't a pen, although I believe people on here pointed out the rule is if the foul continues into the box it is a penno so difficult to tell for sure - another grey area of the rules it has to be said...

But he wasn't even making a tackle or a challenge was he - so by the laws of the game it wasn't a red - a pure accident. Sorted.

You can only say that with the benefit of replays, which the ref doesn't have. In real time it looks like a two-footed lunge. What part of this don't people understand?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
You can only say that with the benefit of replays, which the ref doesn't have. In real time it looks like a two-footed lunge. What part of this don't people understand?

I'd imagine the FA will have replays.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I'm fairly sure most people do understand that, but are debating the outcome of he appeal with the benefit of replays.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I got the impression that the ref was not looking at the ball but turned his head towards it A split second late as Murphy was already on the way down, missing the slip

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Premier league red appeals are usually successful ... Lower league usually fail and I would be surprised if the red is overturned. If unsuccessful there is no feedback either.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton

I don't think it does. When I saw it for the first time I could tell he had slipped. Replays just confirmed this.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Premier league red appeals are usually successful ... Lower league usually fail and I would be surprised if the red is overturned. If unsuccessful there is no feedback either.

Calde's red card against Newport Country was overturned, even though the opposition player broke his leg.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Pretty much all of this, every time I see it in real time, which is all I've seen, it looks all the world like a straight red.

I think that's fair enough, however Neil Mellor and Warren Aspinall who were also both at the game described it as 'very, very harsh', all depends on the angle.

The red made a poor decision IMO.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Naylor pointed out in the Argus yesterday that Murphy has had a grand total of (I think) eight yellow cards in his entire 300+ match career to date, and not a single red until last weekend. Some players in the current side will probably have eight yellows by Christmas.

I realise the FA can only go on the evidence relating to that particular challenge, but it can't be a bad thing for Murphy to be able to demonstrate to them that his previous record is bordering on saintly.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
This ref also thought it ok to climb up Uwe's back, kneel on his shoulders and nod the ball into the back of the net!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here