[Albion] Win over WHU - many positives

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yet another solid performance from Bong

Can't argue with that but he was nowhere near MOTM. Dunk, Duffy and Kayal rightly singled out by Sky and the sponsors respectively.

On the train home Bong came up in conversation and the (sort of) consensus was that he does the difficult things really well but often mucks up the easy things. I think this is why people get on his back and not what you suggested earlier this week,

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
Sick of travelling to Brighton full stop. Only one away league win at the Albion since 1978.
I remember that game. We (9 year old me and my Dad) arrived late to the North Stand and the only space left was next to the away fans at the North East corner... "Pop" Robson I think scored (2?) and spoiled our day... funny that you've only won down here once since then [emoji38]

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Standouts for me: Kayal was excellent. Back 4 solid. Knockaert a bit hot and cold tonight but his energy is so great to watch. Ali J will become a great signing I think. Izqueirdo back and looked sharp. Murray brilliant. March impressed me tonight, too. All in all, a huge, much needed confidence boosting win against a team who should end up towards the top of the second mini league.

Oh, and the atmosphere was excellent tonight from start to finish

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Clean Sheet
Won a match without Stephens
International break has come at a good time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can't argue with that but he was nowhere near MOTM. Dunk, Duffy and Kayal rightly singled out by Sky and the sponsors respectively.

On the train home Bong came up in conversation and the (sort of) consensus was that he does the difficult things really well but often mucks up the easy things. I think this is why people get on his back and not what you suggested earlier this week,
Hence solid instead of MotM.

I was desperate to walk away from last weeks "more sinister reason" for being on Bong's back, and wasn't given any reason to do so.
Watching last night I certainly didn't see a player who was 'far to slow', 'poor at crossing', he was no poorer than anybody else who didn't get the audible moans and groans when they skimmed the head of the defender, 'can't defend a high ball'. All that were mentioned last week, none of which did anything to change my initial troubling possibility.

Now though I think you are onto something, as that did happen a couple of times, last night, in the first half.
On one occasion he made a great challenge, cocked up the simple pass out, won the ball back and then got rid of it.
So there was either 2 rock solid pieces of defending or 1 Sunday league pass.

I'll see where your hypothesis gets me over the next few weeks.
(If it's to a Bong Bashing place I'll know who to blame. :lol: )

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
After our negative recent performances and their good form, I had this down as a two thirds chance a West Ham win and one third us.

The pundits "feared for us" and it was the West Ham fans who thought they were going to smash us.

I'm elated that we turned up and gained a deserved win. It was vital.

To be fair i spoke to a couple of groups of west ham fans before the game and not one of them thought they were going go smash us - all were aware of our good home form - and obviously our results against them last year

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
To be fair all round, Brighton v West Ham is not Liverpool v Man City.....the telly people have to sell their product for the world wide audience. Football fans tend to be more realistic.
We said even though Hammers are playing well, our home form is solid.
They said even though we're playing well guv, their home form is solid....innit

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
After our negative recent performances and their good form, I had this down as a two thirds chance a West Ham win and one third us.

The pundits "feared for us" and it was the West Ham fans who thought they were going to smash us.

I'm elated that we turned up and gained a deserved win. It was vital.

No chance of a draw?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
This individual appears in need of a few positives...

West Ham News
‏ @whufc_news
14h14 hours ago

"What a shite anti-football side Brighton are. Another West Brom. Irrelevant. Sooner they **** off down to the Championship the better."

Let's be the bigger people...I'm very happy for West Ham to share the same pitch as us despite their recent record of P3 L3 F1 A7 Pts0. And I look forward to seeing some of their total football some time soon.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Hence solid instead of MotM.

I was desperate to walk away from last weeks "more sinister reason" for being on Bong's back, and wasn't given any reason to do so.
Watching last night I certainly didn't see a player who was 'far to slow', 'poor at crossing', he was no poorer than anybody else who didn't get the audible moans and groans when they skimmed the head of the defender, 'can't defend a high ball'. All that were mentioned last week, none of which did anything to change my initial troubling possibility.

Now though I think you are onto something, as that did happen a couple of times, last night, in the first half.
On one occasion he made a great challenge, cocked up the simple pass out, won the ball back and then got rid of it.
So there was either 2 rock solid pieces of defending or 1 Sunday league pass.

I'll see where your hypothesis gets me over the next few weeks.
(If it's to a Bong Bashing place I'll know who to blame. :lol: )

March and Propper get loads of criticism, especially March. Including last night. I don't think race comes into with Brighton fans.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Izzy was not just back but was class when he came on.
Our best winger last season, and one of our best players overall. At last he's back.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
To be fair i spoke to a couple of groups of west ham fans before the game and not one of them thought they were going go smash us - all were aware of our good home form - and obviously our results against them last year

Sky Sports in the build up read out West Ham fans predictions of scores such as 0-4 and 1-3, with the comments "going to smash us".

Thankfully arrogant bollocks. Down to CH and the team carrying out a great plan.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Our best winger last season, and one of our best players overall. At last he's back.

This.

Looked like he could score from the off. He's a gem of a player and seems to have much more of everything after the WC.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This.

Looked like he could score from the off. He's a gem of a player
Indeed, he's the player that gives me most hope in a game.

and seems to have much more of everything after the WC.
He's only had 20 minutes, it's a bit early to know isn't it? I thought he started just as well as he was playing last season, which is impressive in his first 20 minutes back. Not sure he showed more than last season though did he?

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Indeed, he's the player that gives me most hope in a game.

He's only had 20 minutes, it's a bit early to know isn't it? I thought he started just as well as he was playing last season, which is impressive in his first 20 minutes back. Not sure he showed more than last season though did he?

It might be my blue and white specs and yes, way too early to tell but I thought he looked razor sharp, hungry and confident. It took a while for him to get his confidence up after a slow start last season - the goal celebrations showed how much it meant to him. The world cup did wonders for him and I think he will raise his game this season.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
He was immense this evening as was Dunk, Duffy, Kayal, Murray and Knockaert.

The Guardian team of the weekend included both Dunk and Duffy.

And I read somewhere over the weekend that 27% of the Premier League wins we have had have been against West Ham - 3 out of 11.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
This individual appears in need of a few positives...

West Ham News
‏ @whufc_news
14h14 hours ago

"What a shite anti-football side Brighton are. Another West Brom. Irrelevant. Sooner they **** off down to the Championship the better."

Let's be the bigger people...I'm very happy for West Ham to share the same pitch as us despite their recent record of P3 L3 F1 A7 Pts0. And I look forward to seeing some of their total football some time soon.

………….. Whatever happened to Martin Peters...…...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here