Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Todays ref Chris Kavanagh

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Can someone explain why, if Murray deliberately handballed he didn't book him? If it wasn't deliberate handball, why was it a penalty?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Poor.

Penalty apart, which was a great spot, but arguably only after Trippier had told him [emoji35].

Influenced by the ‘bigger’ team.

Missed Dunk penalty, the free kick for the minuscule touch on Kane, subsequently proved by BT on super zoom and slow mo, was not enough to take Kane off balance, Kane chose to dive after a poor touch and Ref fell for it.

Rose had his arms around Kayal on every corner.

I could go on, but although normally okay, yesterday he wasn’t. IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Can someone explain why, if Murray deliberately handballed he didn't book him? If it wasn't deliberate handball, why was it a penalty?
I can explain he never witnessed the hand ball Kane told him what happened the f.ucking cheating sex offender of a ref then give the pen.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought that he was ok and watching MOTD showed he got BOTH penalty decisions exactly right theirs and the one on Dunk as Dier was pushed before the shirt grabbing.

You cannot blame the ref for our inability to score from the many chances that we created..

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Deliberately handling the ball is not an automatic yellow card. It only receives a caution (for unsporting behaviour) if:

commits a foul or handles the ball to interfere with or stop a promising attack
handles the ball in an attempt to score a goal (whether or not the attempt is successful) or in an unsuccessful attempt to prevent a goal​

Being generous:
It's a freekick so it didn't stop an attack, per se
The ref can't say with confidence it denied a goal (it is more likely Murray simply stopped Propper from heading it clear)

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Poor.

Penalty apart, which was a great spot, but arguably only after Trippier had told him [emoji35].

Influenced by the ‘bigger’ team.

Missed Dunk penalty, the free kick for the minuscule touch on Kane, subsequently proved by BT on super zoom and slow mo, was not enough to take Kane off balance, Kane chose to dive after a poor touch and Ref fell for it.

Rose had his arms around Kayal on every corner.

I could go on, but although normally okay, yesterday he wasn’t. IMO.

Agreed - looking at the replay of the free kick it seems the ref turns to Trippier to say “ was it hand ball”? Trippier responds “ why, yes I think it almost certainly was ref”. Whistle blows, penalty. He probably got that decision right, but otherwise poor game.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Strange. Thought he was entirely reasonable. More cards for us could have been forthcoming. Penalty was stone wall. People complained about Bissouma’s booking despite it being the 3rd time he made a bookable challenge. People also got very upset when Trippier got away with a booking for the exact same thing Bissouma had just got away with as well.

Only thing I felt he could have been slightly better on was the time wasting.

Kayal kinda got what he was asking for having got away with two very similar challenges.

I agree Kavanagh could have acted more appropriately in high school. A sexual assault is nothing to be taken lightly. If professor Ford is found to be credible than I don't think there is anyway he should be allowed on the Supreme Court and should have his judges card revoked.

As far as time wasting I think it's pretty obvious.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
He got the big decisions right but 50/50's tended to come down on the side of Spuds.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
He's a great ref. Had an average game, I thought. Got the big calls right but perhaps favoured Spurs a tad.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I thought that he was ok and watching MOTD showed he got BOTH penalty decisions exactly right theirs and the one on Dunk as Dier was pushed before the shirt grabbing.

You cannot blame the ref for our inability to score from the many chances that we created..

Having now watched the BT sport analysis after the game they said they thought it was a penalty

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He's a great ref. Had an average game, I thought. Got the big calls right but perhaps favoured Spurs a tad.

Funny isn’t it, although I have criticised him on this thread, I said to my son prior to the game he’s normally one of the better ones.

Subsequently, I was reminded about this fairly frequently Saturday evening and yesterday!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here