Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

October 4th XH558 Vulcan Final Days display

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Vulcan, Victor and Valiant.
Yep, and XH558 is the last flying example of any of them anywhere in the world.

There are a couple of Vulcans and Victors (at least one of each to my knowledge) still capable of doing fast taxi runs as well as a few more on static display in museums.

As far as the Valiant goes, however, there is only one complete example left anywhere, and that's on static display in the RAF Museum at Cosford.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Also worth nothing, on the subject of the Valiant, that the V-Force was initially intended to be our nuclear bomb delivery system, but the Valiant was the only one of the three ever to drop any nuclear bombs.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
Also worth nothing, on the subject of the Valiant, that the V-Force was initially intended to be our nuclear bomb delivery system, but the Valiant was the only one of the three ever to drop any nuclear bombs.

And one crashed in Southwick.

Love the Church Fenton pics Frutos, was a great little show (with the exception of the traffic getting out). Good mix of stuff in the air and some low (but safe) flying.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Love the Church Fenton pics Frutos, was a great little show (with the exception of the traffic getting out). Good mix of stuff in the air and some low (but safe) flying.

It was indeed a great show - we had more of an issue with the traffic getting in than getting out, but that may be because we deliberately hung around for a while after the flying ended to let the crowds thin out. It worked out quite nicely as well because we got to see the MiG, Meteor and JP among others (including the Strikemaster which was only in the static display) leave for their respective home bases.

At first I was quite surprised by how low everything seemed, given the post-Shoreham situation, but it did make for a very good display.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
How was yesterday [MENTION=6741]jakarta[/MENTION]?

Jul 7, 2003
There is a great photo online of the Vulcan flying over Worthing Pier from the support aircraft.

CM8dOGwWUAQWBmd.jpg

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
How was yesterday [MENTION=6741]jakarta[/MENTION]?

Bloody marvellous but I also got that bit of grit in my eye at the end of the Display, pesky Rolls Royce Olympus Engines eh?

I had forgotten about the 'Car Alarm Chorus' a Vulcan low level pass sets off as well! :lolol:

Seriously I took a few (not very good) photos which I suppose are of historical value as the final display but my computer doesn't get on with NSC for uploads for some reason. Happy to share them if you PM me I'll email them to you.

NB: None of them are a patch on the Worthing Photo.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Bloody marvellous but I also got that bit of grit in my eye at the end of the Display, pesky Rolls Royce Olympus Engines eh?

Yep, that definitely must have been it. :wink:

I'll send you a PM, and if you like I'm happy to send you a selection of pics from when my partner and I did a hangar tour around her in return - gives you a bit of a different view of her. :smile:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Somewhat after the fact, but I thought I'd share a video from my trip to Church Fenton last month. As with the photos this was taken by my partner and shows the final pass of XH558 before her departure, complete with the legendary 'Vulcan Howl'. Enjoy. :thumbsup:

[yt]0xdc9ALptq4[/yt]

boik

Bit disappointed. Went up the road to Hickstead to watch it as according to their map it would fly over. Hundreds of people there, but unfortunatly it flew quite a bit further north, so didn't get much of a view. Looked pretty low and slow though.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Bit disappointed. Went up the road to Hickstead to watch it as according to their map it would fly over. Hundreds of people there, but unfortunatly it flew quite a bit further north, so didn't get much of a view. Looked pretty low and slow though.

Unfortunately, the route map was just a straight line between the way points that they were flying to, or a turning point - It was always unlikely that it would follow those lines rigidly......Not much help to you now but....

It flew directly over my house on Sunday.

What. A. Noise.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Heads up for those interested, there is apparently to be a piece on the Vulcan on the BBC 6 O'Clock News tonight.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
RAF Cosford is only 20 mins away from me and always a great day out. They have a Vulcan cockpit there that they let you climb into to experience "the Vulcan office". These buggers used to fly long missions but I wouldn't fancy being cooped up in that as part of a 5-man crew for hours on end.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here