Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Mac help

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
You don't need a 1tb ssd. 125/250gb is perfectly good if you keep the hdd for media.

You only need to install the OS and programs to ssd for much quicker performance.

Won't both fit in a mac mini though

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Even if you don’t replace the HDD with an SSD, you might find the slow response from the Mac mini is actually a failing HDD. This is most common reason for slow start up or programs.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
A 1 Terry Bite SSD is £250. I don't think it's worth it for a 4 year old computer. I'd rather flog it and build a new linux box.

It'll work like a new machine so would be comparable to building a new computer with linux.

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Mac_Mini_Unibody

Walk through guides including what tools you need. Also an EU store to buy everything (but possibly not the cheapest place)

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Okay, what I know [or care about for] Apple computers you could write on the back of a postage stamp ...

But I have been working in IT for 25 years mostly on Microsoft platforms. The way windows works with its Registry means every install will slow down over years of continuous use, a fresh O/S install will resolve this - I have no idea if Apple use a similar approach like registry.

As others have said, replacing a spinning HDD with SSD will yield instant performance gain, especially at start-up.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Okay, what I know [or care about for] Apple computers you could write on the back of a postage stamp ...

But I have been working in IT for 25 years mostly on Microsoft platforms. The way windows works with its Registry means every install will slow down over years of continuous use, a fresh O/S install will resolve this - I have no idea if Apple use a similar approach like registry.

As others have said, replacing a spinning HDD with SSD will yield instant performance gain, especially at start-up.

Not as such no, but they keep preference lists 'plist' which cause a similar slowing down over time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here