Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] 2nd hand car advice please

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
After the most half arsed search possible (if only cars had just 2 wheels and no engine, I could do this for days) it would seem my sub £5k price point has me in Honda Jazz country instead of Civic, from a main dealer.

Its a bad time of year to be buying a second hand car and you didnt mention a model but you are welcome...I am not going to be recommending a second hand dealer that could have a yard full of cut and shuts that would fit you.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Its a bad time of year to be buying a second hand car and you didnt mention a model but you are welcome...I am not going to be recommending a second hand dealer that could have a yard full of cut and shuts that would fit you.

T'is ok, this just genuinely isn't my thing, I don't know what model I'd like either, and to be honest I don't care (that much).
I drive a Honda now, and previously had a Honda, I can't say enough positives about Honda, so therefore I'd like a Honda.

But as said cars leave me cold, so much so in fact, they could convince me the front being a different colour to the back is all the rage. :lol:
So any nugget of advise is welcome.

theboybilly

If you go for a Hyundai i10, fine, but don't expect you'll get the economy the spec promises. I've got a 2014 model, in mint condition, with only 30 K on the clock. However, no matter how lightly I touch the accelerator, how many tricks I use (like free wheeling up to traffic lights and road junctions) and normally travelling with only one-up (me) in the vehicle I can't even get close to 40mpg out of it.
Soon as he decent weather arrives (car selling season) I'm getting shot of the bl**dy heap of rubbish as quickly as I can.

I genuinely surprised to read this as I find driving about locally sees me in the high 40s - low 50s mpg. I know it's not exact but I've had 65mpg on the dash readout while driving moderately on my old commute in a quiet A27 & M23 to and from Gatwick. 2014 saw the body style change from the smaller i10 to that which we have now (ours is the 1.2 litre by the way) It has plenty of go, enough room for 4 adults though legroom behind me (and I'm not long in the leg) is tight in the back seats. I am very impressed with the whole package. We were a 2-car household until I retired so we decided to just keep the smaller vehicle. It is all we need and more. I can't fault it.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Don't be a badge snob. We have a 2014 Hyundai i10 - it's well put together and it has everything on it you need (aircon, cruise control, central locking etc) and at nearly 40,000 miles still feels as good as new even after some heavy use moving stuff about. You should find the car to suit your needs in their range.

Thanks - I was in an i10 coming back from the Cottage a few weeks back and was impressed. I saw a i30 in Preston Park today and thought it was a tidy motor.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Try and get an ex motability car as they are regularly serviced an well looked after. I bought a 62 plate Nissan note with 5485 on the clock in 2016 and it was in mint condition. Cost me 6200

Mrs D had an ex-motability car before her current one - was in immaculate condition and mileage was tiny - it had done less than 10,000 in 3 years before we bought it.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Don't be a badge snob. We have a 2014 Hyundai i10 - it's well put together and it has everything on it you need (aircon, cruise control, central locking etc) and at nearly 40,000 miles still feels as good as new even after some heavy use moving stuff about. You should find the car to suit your needs in their range.

Over here we've got a 14 plate i10 and a 67 plate i20. My wife has had 3 Hyundais in a row. You get a lot of car for your money, good to drive, comfortable.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
After the most half arsed search possible (if only cars had just 2 wheels and no engine, I could do this for days) it would seem my sub £5k price point has me in Honda Jazz country instead of Civic, from a main dealer.

Absolutely nothing wrong with a Jazz. I look after 4 of them and they never go wrong. Bloody Jap cars, if all my customers drove japanese cars I'd be delivering the milk or post as sure as sh*t I wouldn't make a living from them.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I genuinely surprised to read this as I find driving about locally sees me in the high 40s - low 50s mpg. I know it's not exact but I've had 65mpg on the dash readout while driving moderately on my old commute in a quiet A27 & M23 to and from Gatwick. 2014 saw the body style change from the smaller i10 to that which we have now (ours is the 1.2 litre by the way) It has plenty of go, enough room for 4 adults though legroom behind me (and I'm not long in the leg) is tight in the back seats. I am very impressed with the whole package. We were a 2-car household until I retired so we decided to just keep the smaller vehicle. It is all we need and more. I can't fault it.

That's what I was expecting when I bought it. Mine's 1.2 as well. All I would say is if you want an i10 insist on a week's test drive to check its performance - some of them are complete nails.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Absolutely nothing wrong with a Jazz. I look after 4 of them and they never go wrong. Bloody Jap cars, if all my customers drove japanese cars I'd be delivering the milk or post as sure as sh*t I wouldn't make a living from them.

MY experience is somewhat different. 2009 Honda CR-V. I've had to have a new instrument console (Honda wanted over £1000 for one - I went Ebay), new shocks and a new clutch/DMF. They needed to cut a bracket off to replace the clutch and Honda had none in the UK, eta MAY; garage ended up getting one from Lithuania off Ebay.
I'll not have another Honda.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
What is motability? (BTW, love your avatar - Darren Freeman is a big Fulham cult hero)

It’s a scheme for people on disability allowance. They sign over a portion of their allowance to motability which allows you to get a brand new car every 3 years, servicing included. It’s a very good scheme and some of the adaptations that are made to the cars are very impressive.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Absolutely this, I get asked by customers what car they should go for, if I like them, I tell them a Honda, I don’t tell too many though or I’d have no business!
Thankfully people still insist on buying French cars, so we’re always busy !

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Over here we've got a 14 plate i10 and a 67 plate i20. My wife has had 3 Hyundais in a row. You get a lot of car for your money, good to drive, comfortable.

That's what I was expecting when I bought it. Mine's 1.2 as well. All I would say is if you want an i10 insist on a week's test drive to check its performance - some of them are complete nails.

Another Hyundai fan here. I got a 57 plate I30 back in 2011ish for £4K. The car had all the bells and whistles, air con / heated seats / leather etc. Never missed a beat, took the car to 170,000 miles before selling [expanding family meant I needed a 7 seater].
As for fuel economy I used to regularly get 45-50MPG on commute from Brighton to Burgess Hill, and up to 65MPG on a long journey/motorway drive

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Another Hyundai fan here. I got a 57 plate I30 back in 2011ish for £4K. The car had all the bells and whistles, air con / heated seats / leather etc. Never missed a beat, took the car to 170,000 miles before selling [expanding family meant I needed a 7 seater].
As for fuel economy I used to regularly get 45-50MPG on commute from Brighton to Burgess Hill, and up to 65MPG on a long journey/motorway drive

Lucky you then! and David in Southampton too! I can only speak of the piece of rubbish I've got. Not only does it guzzle petrol, but the new clutch before it ad done 30K miles didn't impress me either! One thing's for sure, once I've got shot of the damn thing I won't be going within a million miles of another Hyundai!
By comparison, about three years ago, when my faithful Nissan Micra finally got just too old and worn (I bought it second hand, and had 130K pretty much trouble free and economical miles out of it) I treated myself to a fun car - a little soft top Ford in British Racing Green - I intended just to keep it briefly, because for many reasons it was impractical, and indeed, I bought the Hyundai to replace it. The Ford is a heavier, more solid car, with a 1600 engine, and I thoroughly enjoy whizzing it around a bit (when it is safe and legal to do so, of course), and I certainly don't take it easy. Economy-wise, as measured by MPG, it just about matches the Hyundai - and that's a car that isn't particularly designed for economy. Thankfully, I didn't get round to selling it - I'll do that when I've replaced the Hyundai pile of junk with a decent, sensible, economic car.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Has the Jazz got bigger, over the years.
I thought they were teensy-weensy things ever so slightly bigger than those new shoeboxes on wheels.

Anyhoo I saw a new 5 door Jazz today, on the road and was pleasantly surprised, but instantly wondered if the same applies to older models.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

My Mrs has got an 11 year old Getz 1.4 auto that she’s had for about 8 years. She doesn’t want to change it despite me trying to. Nothing has ever gone wrong with it (except the windscreen washer pipe got blocked). Service and MOT annually costs about £150, insurance about the same.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
OK then - any of you Hyundai fans up for a straight swap?

P..e..r...r...lease.......or a nice Lada estate......or a tuc tuc...........or a souped up Ford Fiesta with go-faster stripes.............anything better than a Hyundai i10..........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here