Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Oh oh jezzas gone and done it

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I don't know if I like Diane Abbott or not, but lets say she is a brilliant mind, is it not time we accepted politicians for their talent, not whether they can eat a bacon sandwich well, or how well they come across? John Major, a lovely bloke by all accounts, perhaps as left leaning a Conservative Prime Minister we've known, lambasted because he wasn't charismatic enough, and pretty much undermined by his own party half the time. Although I do look at Rees-Mogg and instantly detest him.

So, the rest of us should be more accepting, but it doesn't necessarily apply to you.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I don't know if I like Diane Abbott or not, but lets say she is a brilliant mind, is it not time we accepted politicians for their talent, not whether they can eat a bacon sandwich well, or how well they come across? John Major, a lovely bloke by all accounts, perhaps as left leaning a Conservative Prime Minister we've known, lambasted because he wasn't charismatic enough, and pretty much undermined by his own party half the time. Although I do look at Rees-Mogg and instantly detest him.

Rees-Mogg is a parasite. He looks, acts and clearly thinks like a Bond villain. I find Abbott comical at times but she's harmless really. Rees-Mogg, however, scares me on a similar level to Michael Gove who wrecks everything he comes in touch with.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
By calling someone a stupid woman, it implies all women are stupid.
He could have said don't be stupid.

But seriously, if an opposition female MP, in receipt of a roasting put-down from an aggressive government spokesman, had ruminatively and silently murmured 'stupid man' to herself, would the roof have caved in in the same way? Would it be said that she was implying that 400-odd MPs, not to mention all men everywhere, were thickos? Surely not.

Corbyn should have said sorry and moved on.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Who's to say that this wasn't the Momentum distraction plan being enacted?

Are environmentalists against a second runway, part of Momentum? Or is it Russians showing they can bring us all to a halt with a couple of drones?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
But seriously, if an opposition female MP, in receipt of a roasting put-down from an aggressive government spokesman, had ruminatively and silently murmured 'stupid man' to herself, would the roof have caved in in the same way? Would it be said that she was implying that 400-odd MPs, not to mention all men everywhere, were thickos? Surely not.

Corbyn should have said sorry and moved on.

Yes, fair comment, in my view. Politicians know that if they are caught lying, then that invariably is worse than the original "offence" - if you are the "right Honourable etc" then you do not lie, even if they often do! As a politico, JC clearly knows this and hopes to tough it out - I have little sympathy, as he has always encouraged the view that he is so very refreshingly different from other politicians, but this demonstrates that this is not the case. As you say, all he had to do was acknowledge that it was a silly moment, and we would all have forgotten about it, or it might not even have been newsworthy.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patreon
Aug 7, 2003
He really isn't

I’ve just given my personal opinion and nothing will change that. He sympathises with terrorists, is anti-Semitic and now a proven liar. None of these are hardly redeeming qualities. My opinion is non political, because if Labour had a moderate rather than Marxist leadership and Momentum stopped being the tail that wags the dog, they would sweep to power and I, for one, would vote for them as I’ve had enough of the current Government.

Last edited:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Rough sleeping up 168%
1,000 made homeless every month
1 in 200 now sleeping rough (320,000 people)
1 in 14 people now using foodbanks, the majority of them in work.
4.5 million children living in poverty.
Hundreds of deaths linked to universal credit.
People who were invited here in the 1950s to help rebuild Britain deported.
Two and a half years (TWO AND A HALF ******** YEARS) to sort out Brexit, but heading for no deal, which will see businesses collapse within weeks and a shortage of food and medicine.

Yet you call the leader of the opposition a "vile individual" for (allegedly) calling the person who instigated these atrocities "a stupid woman".

Have a long, hard look at the utter state of yourself.

Are more people using food banks because they are better known than before? meaning more are aware of them and can turn to them rather than struggle on as they did before without that help? - Also, how many use them when they don't really need to but do so as a free source of food to save money for other (unessential) things

More people in poverty - What is the measure of poverty being used? Are people described as being in poverty actually so compared to most of the rest of the world and what they face in terms of poverty? or is it a paper based assessment based upon average earnings and anyone earning less than a certain percent are described as such, even if they are able to get by with no problems

Surely you could argue that the minimum wage and the living wage are at fault and the cause then, clearly they are not working, all it's done is mean employers now have a reason to be able to pay less than before to staff, they don't have to be as competitive, and the reality of these is that it pushes up costs and makes little or no difference to lower earners but as the average wage figure is moved up as a result of this, more people can be described as moving into poverty (figure / statistical manipulation rather than fact)

Also a lot of the problems many face were caused a long time ago, like when people were borrowing heavily using 0% interest cards, meaning they were living beyond their means, this will affect many now as these deals no longer exist, but they still have that debt which they struggle to repay as this market was never tackled by the then Government at the time

Add in a housing market that was allowed to spiral out of control by the then government at the time, making housing and rents dearer, is it any wonder people find it harder nowadays? Those house price rises was what was fueling the economy at the time, as people borrowed against that extra equity to fund a better lifestyle - and now we all have to face the consequences

No Government will commit political suicide and allow the housing market to crash to where it should be, because too many will be left with negative equity and they will lose votes as a result - We need more housing stock, but too many political objections to this (like green values / nimby-ism) and that by increasing the stock, you could reduce housing prices, affecting existing owners and creating a negative equity trap again

And finally, no one should be made to sleep rough, but some choose to, they are given accommodation by the councils, but decide against using it. They earn money by sleeping rough, and unfortunately drink and drugs play a big part in their reasoning (talk to some of them and ask them why housing hasn't been provided and most will tell you they were given somewhere (some will even say that they don't know if they still have that place or not as they never go there to find out)

It's very easy to decide it's all down to Governments and benefits as to why they are there, and how uncaring the state is, but is it really the case? - if they are not being picked up by the public sector and offered the help they need, then its disgusting, but is it really the case that people are being left to sleep rough for the rest of their lives by the state?
- i very much doubt it but it does make good emotional blackmail in an effort to try to gain political support for a certain political side

And finally about your mention of Brexit, how long did you really think it would take? - it's an extremely complex problem with multiple interested parties with didn't desires from the outcome of the negotiations which may or may not be compatible so basically a poisoned chalice, who would be able to do a better job? was that even possible? who knows, but trying to get it right is surely better that rushing it and ending up with a disaster (isn't the main problem MP's have with the deal is the issue of Northern Ireland and the backstop arrangement should no trade deal be forthcoming by 2021, and how it could mean separate rules for different parts of the UK after Brexit)

There are so many different stand points from so many different groups (even within the same political party, as well as the county) that want their own visions to be realised that there is never going to be complete agreement in this country over it and how it should look (in relation to how close we remain and how tied in we are after leaving)

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Are more people using food banks because they are better known than before? meaning more are aware of them and can turn to them rather than struggle on as they did before without that help? - Also, how many use them when they don't really need to but do so as a free source of food to save money for other (unessential) things

More people in poverty - What is the measure of poverty being used? Are people described as being in poverty actually so compared to most of the rest of the world and what they face in terms of poverty? or is it a paper based assessment based upon average earnings and anyone earning less than a certain percent are described as such, even if they are able to get by with no problems

Surely you could argue that the minimum wage and the living wage are at fault and the cause then, clearly they are not working, all it's done is mean employers now have a reason to be able to pay less than before to staff, they don't have to be as competitive, and the reality of these is that it pushes up costs and makes little or no difference to lower earners but as the average wage figure is moved up as a result of this, more people can be described as moving into poverty (figure / statistical manipulation rather than fact)

Also a lot of the problems many face were caused a long time ago, like when people were borrowing heavily using 0% interest cards, meaning they were living beyond their means, this will affect many now as these deals no longer exist, but they still have that debt which they struggle to repay as this market was never tackled by the then Government at the time

Add in a housing market that was allowed to spiral out of control by the then government at the time, making housing and rents dearer, is it any wonder people find it harder nowadays? Those house price rises was what was fueling the economy at the time, as people borrowed against that extra equity to fund a better lifestyle - and now we all have to face the consequences

No Government will commit political suicide and allow the housing market to crash to where it should be, because too many will be left with negative equity and they will lose votes as a result - We need more housing stock, but too many political objections to this (like green values / nimby-ism) and that by increasing the stock, you could reduce housing prices, affecting existing owners and creating a negative equity trap again

And finally, no one should be made to sleep rough, but some choose to, they are given accommodation by the councils, but decide against using it. They earn money by sleeping rough, and unfortunately drink and drugs play a big part in their reasoning (talk to some of them and ask them why housing hasn't been provided and most will tell you they were given somewhere (some will even say that they don't know if they still have that place or not as they never go there to find out)

It's very easy to decide it's all down to Governments and benefits as to why they are there, and how uncaring the state is, but is it really the case? - if they are not being picked up by the public sector and offered the help they need, then its disgusting, but is it really the case that people are being left to sleep rough for the rest of their lives by the state?
- i very much doubt it but it does make good emotional blackmail in an effort to try to gain political support for a certain political side

And finally about your mention of Brexit, how long did you really think it would take? - it's an extremely complex problem with multiple interested parties with didn't desires from the outcome of the negotiations which may or may not be compatible so basically a poisoned chalice, who would be able to do a better job? was that even possible? who knows, but trying to get it right is surely better that rushing it and ending up with a disaster (isn't the main problem MP's have with the deal is the issue of Northern Ireland and the backstop arrangement should no trade deal be forthcoming by 2021, and how it could mean separate rules for different parts of the UK after Brexit)

There are so many different stand points from so many different groups (even within the same political party, as well as the county) that want their own visions to be realised that there is never going to be complete agreement in this country over it and how it should look (in relation to how close we remain and how tied in we are after leaving)

Will you PLEASE stop posting such common sense on here . .

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

Valid questions re: foodbanks.

Usage has gone up across the board, which could be a result of greater awareness, that said there is no research (that I have seen - happy to be corrected) which supports this theory. What is proven is the marked difference between food bank usage in full Universal Credit rollout areas (+53% YOY) compared to those without full UC (+13%). What is also proven is that the more general rise across the board has been attributed to (in order of importance) Low Income/Benefit Levels, Benefit Delays/Cashflow, Increased housing/utility costs.

I'd argue that in this context, greater awareness of foodbanks is actually a good thing.

The 'need' question is also valid, but again there it little to support the hypothesis, and plenty to the contrary. Almost all food bank users cite an initial reluctance to think about using them due to a) thinking that they should be able to 'sort this out without any additional help' and b) the social stigma of being labelled a food bank user itself.

A big asterisk against all this is the difficulty in collating data for research projects into food bank usage. It's fragmented and messy. All we can do is go on the best data we have, and try to avoid any leaps of judgement.

The DWP have announced the 'Factors driving the use of food banks' study, which is welcome, though how self-critical it will turn out remains to be seen.

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
I’ve just given my personal opinion and nothing will change that. He sympathises with terrorists, is anti-Semitic and now a proven liar. None of these are hardly redeeming qualities. My opinion is non political, because if Labour had a moderate rather than Marxist leadership and Momentum stopped being the tail that wags the dog, they would sweep to power and I, for one, would vote for them as I’ve had enough of the current Government.

Sorry but this all sounds like the spoon fed bollocks you read in the mainstream media. It’s not really your opinion just a rehash of the opinions of right wing media moguls. 🙂

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea

Sorry but this all sounds like the spoon fed bollocks you read in the mainstream media. It’s not really your opinion just a rehash of the opinions of right wing media moguls. 🙂

NSC Patreon
Aug 7, 2003
Sorry but this all sounds like the spoon fed bollocks you read in the mainstream media. It’s not really your opinion just a rehash of the opinions of right wing media moguls. ��

I don’t read the mainstream media, couldn’t name a right wing media mogul (unless that old bloke married to Jerry Hall counts) , and have a mind of my own. We are all entitled to our own opinions. Have a good Christmas.

NSC Patreon
Aug 7, 2003
Their influence is everywhere! Anyway you too have a great Christmas

Cheers, I just get seriously fed up with the Daily Mail / Guardian pigeon holing that goes on, on here. I don’t need any journalist to tell me what to think. Each to their own though. I’m sick of politics and politicians, just going to enjoy the next two weeks off on holiday.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I think your views are shared by many, in short: Do you think the current government is doing a good job? - no. Do you trust the current Labour leadership? - no.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Excellent ! lets have another 10 years of austerity, stagnation and lower than inflation pay rises. After all, its all working so well at the moment isn't it ? supporting terrorist regimes such as the Saudi's and that Universal Credit is going so well. Yes, the alleged Anti-Semitism is so horrible but its ok to have a " Hostile Environment " to oppress other minorities regardless of race or creed. You just need to be careful about which minority gets targeted as some have better PR than others.
Maybe labour should be more moderate and stop standing up for the people, then they can be called wishy washy liberals that no one could vote for and so it goes on.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here