Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums Thread - 2017

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
There's a few new albums out that definitely need mentioning because I suspect they will be up there in a few best of lists come December.

First off is the very unexpected Fever Ray album 'Plunge'. It's been years since we've heard anything from one of music's most avant-garde female singer/songwriters but then last week there was a single release and then there's a whole album. Christmas, birthday and christening all rolled into one. She revisits a lot of familiar territory with a lot of the album, her distinctive singing/wailing over a very bass heavy synth dominates but there are also lots of variation with a few tracks taking on a distinctively African feel, 'A Part of Us' in particular and ' IDK About You' sees the album taking on a Shangaan electro-like beat that really works well with her singing style. I listened to her first album last night and this fits so well against it that it totally belies the 7 year gap between them. This second album sounds more muscular, it's got more of a 'world music' feel to it but it's still incredibly tense and personal.

I'm not sure how long this video will stay up but this track is probably the best of the bunch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An8ffrj9xQ0

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Next up Daniele Luppi and the Parquet Courts - 'Milano'

It feels like a concept album, the album starts off proto-punk with a Velvet Underground flavoured opener but rapidly moves towards the other end of the 70s into new wave and post-punk especially with the tracks that Karen O features on. Although she's not included in the title credits for the album, Karen O does get credited on no less than 4 of the 9 tracks from this album and her contribution is not a mere afterthought. Blondie, Talking Heads and even The Stranglers (track 3: Mount Napoleon especially) all have sizeable influences on this very accomplished and listenable album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nAs2-6KqjA

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Adrian Crowley 'Dark Eyed Messenger'

A completely new artist to me but he has been around for some time. A collection of very low key, piano-led tracks from a man with a very lovely baritone voice. If you're a fan of Lambchop's Kurt Wagner or (like me) a big fan of Bill Callahan then you will adore this album. His voice is VERY similar to Callahan's and in lieu of Callahan releasing anything recently, I've been using this album by Crowley as a Callahan surrogate which is a little unfair because it's a bloody good album in its own right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-e5-NXrEes

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Shout out for the new John Maus album if lo-fi, baritone voiced, synth-pop is your sort of thing.

If you like his previous stuff, not much has changed. If you are new to him I'd probably listen to 2011's minor classic 'We Must Become Pitiless Censors of Ourselves,' first.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'm surprised at how Knifey the Fever Ray record is. I was expecting something slow and menacing like the first album.

Not complaining, I think I already prefer it to 'Shaking The Habitual.'

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Baxter Dury - 'Prince of Tears'

He's the son of Ian Dury and although he has never held back on the limitations of his dad as a parent and human being, he's clearly influenced heavily by the old man's music. Baxter's style is more talking through his records as if it's spoken word to a tune rather than singing, something Ian Dury was often wont to do and the various subjects tackled include his father, Baxter's love life and the world at large. It's very broad-brush in what it takes in and this could all sound all rather pseud or even worse like a Sleaford Mod rant (they feature on one song by the way) but the bile is reined in and instead we get a series of astute observations and clever word play. The music is really where it's at though. As with the Blockheads, everything focuses around the drum and bass guitar and he keeps it funky. In places it's very funky. Definitely an album that merits a good listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyILwv1KBT4

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
My latest mix can be found here: https://www.mixcloud.com/The_Airing_Cupboard/mix-33/

Tracklist:
1. Exploded View - Summer came early
2. Boys - Rabbits
3. Gulp - Morning velvet sky
4. Darlene Shrugg - Strawberry milk
5. Dream Wife - Let's make out
6. Invisible Church ft Marie Davidson - Collage
7. Colleen - The stars vs creatures
8. Aviadoras - PPT
9. Gel Set - Odds
10. Group Rhoda - Trespass
11. Silvia Kastel - Bruell
12. Superorganism - Something for your M.I.N.D
13. U.S Girls - Mad as hell
14. M.A Beat! ft. Galaxy Electric - Widow
15. Sebastien Tellier - Chrysalis

Length: 60 minutes

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
More lovely, easy going indie Folk, this time from California. Pretty stuff.

7115jqnUSML._SL1200_.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Shout out for the new John Maus album if lo-fi, baritone voiced, synth-pop is your sort of thing.

If you like his previous stuff, not much has changed. If you are new to him I'd probably listen to 2011's minor classic 'We Must Become Pitiless Censors of Ourselves,' first.

With you on this. I think it’s quite a special album.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Did you get to see him in London....think you said you were going?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I did. It was lovely. Got to meet the great man as well. He's got 3 or 4 more records ready to go apparently. The hold up with this one was him building his own synths...

A colleague of mine went and also said it, and he, were great. I’m hoping to see him in a few weeks....gig passed me by and is now sold out so I’m working on a few angles to get a ticket. If you know any please let me know (just to clarify I’ll pay...not after a feeebie)

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
The reboot of 'George Best' is fermkine excellent.
Slower, less jangle.

....pretty much sounding like a 50 year old rather than a 20 year old.

Which I guess is the point.

I love it, I bloody well love it

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here