Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Monarch into admin

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Visa debit card spending of £100 or more is covered by a voluntary scheme, which the banks do abide by.

All other debit cards, as you say, give no insurance or recourse to the provider.

Both were on Visa debit and were just over the £100 so that's good news.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
As mentioned earlier in this thread and it is reported and confirmed in the press, last October the CAA forced Monarch to take an ATOL contribution on their Seat Only fares (95% of their business) but on the 14th December last year, the CAA were relaxed enough about their financial restructuring that they removed the requirement to make the contribution on their Seat Only fares. The package holiday arm of the business was a Tour Operator (5% of their business) so they had to offer ATOL protection on this business.

Re Santander, I'm presuming you purchased a Seat Only fare and they were asking when you purchased it as to whether they would pick it up or referred you back to Monarch?

ATOL is really a minefield, with different types of protection dependent on how you purchased flights/holidays, but the important thing to note is airlines selling just seats, are not required to have an ATOL licence, hence Monarch could have continued trading. The majority of ATOL licences are held by Tour Operators (Thomson, Cooks and other Trade Only Ops) for Package Holiday sales and Travel Agents for Flight Plus sales (Flights and ground arrangements booked at the same time together via an Agent)

They just said that as of November 2016 Monarch were not Atol protected and as we had purchased the seats after this time we could not claim the money back.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Who said that?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Santander. on the phone when we rang them to claim the money back on the debit card.
I asked where this information came from and her exact words were" from a communication from above"

gasgull

Nov 14, 2003
Newick
Booked with a credit card direct with Monarch, xmas break.
Not concerned as should get deposit back.
But why do the others now increase prices.
Same hotel,same time is now £400 pp more.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Likewise i always pay with a debit card, if using a credit card you only have to make another one to them at the end of the month and you get charged more.

For any holidays etc. booked for next year there is no credit card surcharge allowed.

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
Santander. on the phone when we rang them to claim the money back on the debit card.
I asked where this information came from and her exact words were" from a communication from above"

ATOL is nothing to do with Santander. Although they are correct that you can't get a refund from Monarch (and it was the 14th December when they stopped ATOL on Seat Only) although you don't have a legal right to get a refund like you do paying by Credit Card, you can request a "chargeback" from Santander. Although not guaranteed, on the whole people who paid Low Cost Holidays by Debit Card when they went bust last year, got their money back.

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
Booked with a credit card direct with Monarch, xmas break.
Not concerned as should get deposit back.
But why do the others now increase prices.
Same hotel,same time is now £400 pp more.

Flight prices will go up, I'm presuming your price of £400pp more includes the flight? Flight pricing is set based on supply and demand, the more seats that are sold on a plane, the higher the price goes. With Monarch going under there is less supply, hence more demand for less seats. Add in the fact that all day Monday and most of yesterday, all the bookings done via Travel Agents with Monarch flights under ATOL protection were being hastily rebooked (at no extra cost to the punter) onto other airlines, primarily Easyjet, Ryanair and Jet2. Those airlines will have seen a spike in sales over the last 2 days, hence the more seats sold, the higher the price goes. Normal pricing patterns but concentrated into a 48hr period, rather than a number of weeks.

Hotel prices shouldn't change, but who knows!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here