Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Monarch into admin

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I wasn't doubting that he made the statement! I just don't necessarily buy it. Yes, Sharm and Turkey would have hit them as it would all the others. That would have hit their top line number but they've replaced that (and more) with other business. They look like they've been buying that for market share and have been very successful but seemingly at the cost of the entire business.

I'm sure there's a whole lot more to this and it wasn't just a matter of being a total basket case that went on selling seats and holidays which it knew it was losing money on without having an understanding why (e.g further investment lined up, growing profitable sales quicker etc) .. and yes I very much appreciate they wouldn't be the first

Was this a perfect storm of many factors, some unlucky (terrorism and the dollar fuel cost) and some bad strategic decisions in the past?

BBC Business spoke to airline analysts who stated that Monarch had pulled out of the charter side some time back. Chartering gave them guaranteed income from committed seats and spread much of their risks to tour operators. In addition, they had abandoned longer haul routes to destinations not afflicted by terrorism.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Looks to me like Lloyds fobbed you off and Santander gave you duff info!

ATOL really has nothing to do with it unless you booked a package holiday and then you'll claim via ATOL. If you booked seats only and the cost was over £100 you should get your money back from the bank if you paid by credit card (section 75 consumer credit act stuff) if you paid by debit card or the tickets were less than £100 it's unlikely that you'll get anything although you should at least ask the bank if you can get it from a chargeback. Ordinarily not but this is such a good example of a monumental f**k up that the Gov't might put up more money ... unlikely though

Visa debit card spending of £100 or more is covered by a voluntary scheme, which the banks do abide by.

All other debit cards, as you say, give no insurance or recourse to the provider.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Of course the result of all this will be higher fares, supply / demand...

Shouldn't make much of an impact if the figures I heard on the radio are anything like right. Last YEAR Monarch flew 5.5 million passengers. In AUGUST this year Ryanair flew 17 million customers. So an extra few from Monarch could easily fit into the other airlines.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Sad news. Always enjoyed flying with monarch & happily fly with easyjet. Will never fly with ryan air

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Damnation my hotel booked week after next via Travel Republic was a Monarch owned company, travel republic just sent me a message saying trying to sort out and hey presto their phone system has stopped working

Grrrrrrr

Aug 16, 2013
Damnation my hotel booked week after next via Travel Republic was a Monarch owned company, travel republic just sent me a message saying trying to sort out and hey presto their phone system has stopped working

Grrrrrrr

You paid by Credit Card we assume, so can instead just claim the entire money back that way under Section 75, as already mentioned earlier in the thread:

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...consumer-credit-act#making-a-section-75-claim

Why hang about, go for the Section 75 refund.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Balders

Aug 19, 2013

Grrrrrrr

Most Travel Agents include Supplier Failure Cover as standard, even on accommodation only bookings that aren't covered under ATOL. We certainly do, and would have arranged for a full refund - surprised Travel Republic don't?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
This. Then call the hotel direct and rebook the room ?

At present Travel Republic are trying to do this but you cannot seem to ring them at present they sent a message via mail I phoned the hotel and they said the rooms are now re-sold however suddenly they weren't so will continue to try and contact Traval Republic, flights are ok.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Most Travel Agents include Supplier Failure Cover as standard, even on accommodation only bookings that aren't covered under ATOL. We certainly do, and would have arranged for a full refund - surprised Travel Republic don't?

Travel Republic phones are not working to contact them at present the line cuts off whenever you ring them

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here