Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uber is language test challenge

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
I've used uber in London and Newcastle and found it very cheap. Went from lewes road to hove a few weeks ago in this flash BMW, the guy got road rage and it was slightly more than a cab so not sure if I'll be using them again down here

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

A BMW driver getting road rage? I don't believe that.

I am sure he flashed his micro penis too. :lolol::lolol::lolol:

kip

Aug 2, 2011
As I understand it, charges on the taxi meter are an upper limit rate per mile set by TFL. Should a Cabbie wish to have the meter set at a lower rate per mile, that would be perfectly legal. Funny how cabbies don't tell you that when they complain about Uber.
Not sure how true this is, it certainly isn't the case in Brighton. Drivers must charge the metered rate within the city boundary, no more no less.

Magicman

Jul 19, 2011
Elm Grove
Not sure how true this is, it certainly isn't the case in Brighton. Drivers must charge the metered rate within the city boundary, no more no less.

Certainly true with Hackney carriages (green and white ) . Private hire in Brighton are able to not have a meter and charge more or indeed less. 99% of PH in Brighton do have a council calibrated meter .

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
Sorry that's incorrect a taxi meter must be adjusted and sealed within 14 days of a tariff change,, to the new tarriff,, a broken seal would result in the cab being taken of the road until the seal is replaced, which can only be done by a licencing official !but you can say I've only got a £10er can you get me home !

If you ask for the meter to be set at a tariff not exceeding one set by TFL, that it perfectly legal, as i understand it. i will check with TFL on Monday and report back

kip

Aug 2, 2011
Certainly true with Hackney carriages (green and white ) . Private hire in Brighton are able to not have a meter and charge more or indeed less. 99% of PH in Brighton do have a council calibrated meter .

That's right, private hire can charge what they like but hackneys in Brighton have to charge the metered rate within the city boundary. Most taxi companies in Brighton have a mixed fleet of private hire and hackney carriage which is why they require their ph cars to charge the council tariff.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I use them a lot (in London mainly) and normally they are pretty good and certainly cheaper than black cabs when on normal pricing. If there is a surge price then there is no point you might as well get a black cab. I've had enough problems with them though that its a necessity they speak English. The last one I got a week or so back the lad was from Croydon and tended to do only local jobs down there. He'd had a job to take someone in to the city and put his "light" back on after he'd dropped off and picked me up. I was at Holborn and wanted to get to London Bridge. He didn't have a clue how to get there. If you are driving a cab in London how can you not know where all the main line stations are!?! That said I guess you get what you pay for, even taking me round the houses it was still only £11. Black cab would have been between £15-£20.

i think your Holborn story tells it all. I couldn't even consider doing that in an uber for a four quid saving. If I was that price sensitive I would be on a bus for 1.50

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have said before I don't like the idea of Uber. It's another wage race to the bottom and I prefer to support the taxi profession, not undermine it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here