Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That's the most frustrating thing - I don't think I'd care half as much if I did it running, but it's bloody annoying to do it in such a stupid way!

Oh, and thanks...

If you run, getting an injury doing anything other than running REALLY sucks........hope it fixes quick. Jump on the elliptical trainer if you can - easy to replicate running sessions with no impact if you can do so without causing any issues with your recovery.

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009
If you run, getting an injury doing anything other than running REALLY sucks........hope it fixes quick. Jump on the elliptical trainer if you can - easy to replicate running sessions with no impact if you can do so without causing any issues with your recovery.

Cheers, I'll have to try that. Nurse also said I'd probably be able to cycle before I can run so turbo trainer will come in handy.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Decided to avoid the match and go for a run. Checked the score a couple of times and it was still 2-0 so concentrated on the running. 13 miles in just under 2:30 and a pleasant surprise when I checked the final score.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Injured runner being sensible alert ! Definitely the right decision mate, get fixed up and go from there. Six months out was my longest gap due to osteitis - it was frustrating but I found the comeback much, much easier after keeping up lower impact cardio work throughout (the elliptical trainer is your friend - can replicate almost any running session on it).

Re Beachy Head, you don't need to think about it as a marathon, more of a jogging picnic. You don't need to be trained to anything like you'd expect to be for a sub 4 Brighton attempt as there will be loads of walking involved (if you want - most do). A few LSRs on the Downs in the lead up and then just enjoy the day out. It's NOTHING like slogging round a road marathon. Do it (or one of the other lovely trail marathons we have in Sussex) [emoji106]
What he said [emoji106]

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Didn't even get to the start line at Worthing parkrun yesterday because junior Bobkin decided it was too wet and cold.

Early one this morning on tarmac, remembering London was fast approaching - 17 miles at 8.11 pace! Well chuffed!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
No run again for me this weekend, have man flu and still have bruised toe. Gutted as have the Brighton HM at the end of the month and need to step up the training for that and for the BM in April.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Didn't even get to the start line at Worthing parkrun yesterday because junior Bobkin decided it was too wet and cold.

I dragged Junior Bozza out for Kids Run Free on Saturday morning. I think he must be one of only a few 100%ers since it started in Worthing. We've had hot ones in August and September, freezing cold ones and one prior wet one. Nothing like the absolute mud bath that we had this month though, and he kept going until they asked people to stop, which they've never done before.

I plodded with him - my first "run" in a week. The ground was perfect for my legs!

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 11.32.47.png

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Dose of man flu for me. No running for a few days. I'll settle for this compared to how others are suffering, though.

Getting on with hill walking training with no ill effect. Need to address a weak core. Started press ups around the Cardiff home game. Did a weak 7Xthree and had to stop for a week due to pain in stomach muscles. Persevered and now up to 100 a day but only 15 max at a time. Unbelievable how my muscle memory is now as useless as my mental memory.
Anyway with no serious running for a couple of months I need a challenge. What was your press up challenge of last year? I'll see how near I can get by mid summer.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Getting on with hill walking training with no ill effect. Need to address a weak core. Started press ups around the Cardiff home game. Did a weak 7Xthree and had to stop for a week due to pain in stomach muscles. Persevered and now up to 100 a day but only 15 max at a time. Unbelievable how my muscle memory is now as useless as my mental memory.
Anyway with no serious running for a couple of months I need a challenge. What was your press up challenge of last year? I'll see how near I can get by mid summer.

Press ups? Bugger that! Although I've taken a leaf out of [MENTION=24894]greyseagull[/MENTION]'s (AKA The Burpee Guy) book and I'm doing a daily challenge with skips (Add one for each day – not much at the moment, but 300-odd a day in November and December won't be too easy). There is no way I could –*or would want to*– do press ups (or burpees for that matter) every day, so fair play to you.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Press ups? Bugger that! Although I've taken a leaf out of [MENTION=24894]greyseagull[/MENTION]'s (AKA The Burpee Guy) book and I'm doing a daily challenge with skips (Add one for each day – not much at the moment, but 300-odd a day in November and December won't be too easy). There is no way I could –*or would want to*– do press ups (or burpees for that matter) every day, so fair play to you.

I worked at Newhaven Docks in 1978 for 12 months before going to Uni. Repetitive lifting of oranges, bananas or potatoes set me up for life. Can fit them in around tea making in the morning. Bit of a shock to struggle with 10 last month. Have to get on with planking too.
I'll do the press ups and you the Burpees and we can share the benefits.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

I think it was me who threw down a specific press-up challenge last year. It was 100 in 2 minutes. But I now have to add:

1. I couldn't do it now (my shoulder is dodgy.........I wonder why)
2. when I was doing them the 'form' was pretty poor.

If your current 'set' is 15 then this is a steep challenge. But there are many others out there.

I thought you'd dug out your bike? If so then Ditchling Beacon would be a good one to aim for?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I think it was me who threw down a specific press-up challenge last year. It was 100 in 2 minutes. But I now have to add:

1. I couldn't do it now (my shoulder is dodgy.........I wonder why)
2. when I was doing them the 'form' was pretty poor.

If your current 'set' is 15 then this is a steep challenge. But there are many others out there.

I thought you'd dug out your bike? If so then Ditchling Beacon would be a good one to aim for?

That's 2 steep challenges!
I'll never get 100. May aim for over 60. Initial progression is always huge. 30 would probably be possible next week before a plateau.
Done Ditchling Beacon a few times in the past but need a few months training. Steyning Bostall is another good one. Planning on cycling Hove to Hasting's via Beachy Head in the Spring. Couple of hours with a good westerly.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
11.5 miles with 10 at sub-7 minute mile pace... getting back to something like form. Still need to lose another 4 or 5 pounds though.

That's bloody good going. I've lost a few pounds and I'd like to think it's helped with my pace, but you never know...

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
That's 2 steep challenges!
I'll never get 100. May aim for over 60. Initial progression is always huge. 30 would probably be possible next week before a plateau.
Done Ditchling Beacon a few times in the past but need a few months training. Steyning Bostall is another good one. Planning on cycling Hove to Hasting's via Beachy Head in the Spring. Couple of hours with a good westerly.

Agreed on Steyning. I think it's a bit harder but has the advantage of being more free of traffic than the Beacon. A long bike ride of the sort you have planned is ideal. Once the weather cheers up anything is possible! (This from a man wo has not been outside of his front door for 5 days; the man flu has gone to my chest.)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Agreed on Steyning. I think it's a bit harder but has the advantage of being more free of traffic than the Beacon. A long bike ride of the sort you have planned is ideal. Once the weather cheers up anything is possible! (This from a man wo has not been outside of his front door for 5 days; the man flu has gone to my chest.)

Apple cider vinegar with the mother (a living beneficial bacteria), manuka honey over +15 and a local honey will prevent or cure that. Says the man who has been unable to run for 5 months due to rheumatoid arthritis............

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
That's bloody good going. I've lost a few pounds and I'd like to think it's helped with my pace, but you never know...

Cheers, I need to be running at about 6:45 to 6:50 average pace when I do the Surrey Half to break 1:30, so getting down below 7s for 10 is a good start. I think I may be ready to get into intervals on a shorter distance tomorrow.

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing

I worked at Newhaven Docks in 1978 for 12 months before going to Uni. Repetitive lifting of oranges, bananas or potatoes set me up for life. Can fit them in around tea making in the morning. Bit of a shock to struggle with 10 last month. Have to get on with planking too.
I'll do the press ups and you the Burpees and we can share the benefits.

Thanks [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION]. You can read about some of the benefits of burpees all year in this piece about The Burpee Guy here :thumbsup:: http://www.coachmag.co.uk/exercises...u-fitter-we-ask-the-guy-who-did-67000-in-2016

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here