Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] ***Sussex v Worcestershire - last game of season****

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Back to the Match, 196-7. Magoffin the star as usual, how crap would our bowling have been for the past few years if it wasn't for him?

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
Don't agree with that. Next year (assuming Joyce is off), we'll have Nash, Wells, Wright, Machan and Finch plus the youngsters - Haines, Salt, Davis and FHP. I agree that we'd need a couple more batters but three or four are too many - unless Wright and Machan's injuries arecareer ending.

Certainly need a spinner, I mentioned the other day that Adam Riley can't get a game at Kent. Sussex have a bit of a history of rescuing players whose careers have faltered, could he be another candidate for rescue?

Machan is not good enough in the CC, decent no.6/7 in other formats. That leaves Nash, Wells, Wright and Brown in your top 7, as I believe Joyce is retiring. The youngsters need to earn a spot and maybe Finch has done that, but to go into a long season with just 5 (experienced) batsman in Nash, Wright, and Wells and 2 new players to cover all formats will result in another season like this. After all we struggled with Joyce and Taylor so expect to add not just replace. I expect an overseas batter plus 2 others who can play all 3 formats, maybe another depending on exits. Shahzad out and another experienced seamer in, plus a spinner if we can get one better than what we have.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Machan is not good enough in the CC, decent no.6/7 in other formats. That leaves Nash, Wells, Wright and Brown in your top 7, as I believe Joyce is retiring. The youngsters need to earn a spot and maybe Finch has done that, but to go into a long season with just 5 (experienced) batsman in Nash, Wright, and Wells and 2 new players to cover all formats will result in another season like this. After all we struggled with Joyce and Taylor so expect to add not just replace. I expect an overseas batter plus 2 others who can play all 3 formats, maybe another depending on exits. Shahzad out and another experienced seamer in, plus a spinner if we can get one better than what we have.

Shazad has another year, so we are stuck with him.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Machan scored just a few runs short of 1000 runs last season, at an average of over 40 - he came good. He's been hampered by injury this year but I don't see how you can say that he's not pushed on.

Wells is a funny one: he's not had a bad season but you feel that he should be doing better.

Cachopa's no F/C cricketer, which is why I didn't mention him in my list of batsmen

I see that Mitchell is looking set for a ton - he's one of those players who always seems to do well against us (see Ramprakash, Law, Pothas, Stevens, Napier etc)

Machan always looks to me as if he's carrying a fair bit of timber. Perhaps it doesn't matter (just look at Northants who should be sponsored by a pie company) but it can't help with injuries.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Machan is not good enough in the CC, decent no.6/7 in other formats.

Like I said, last year he was just a handful of runs short of a thousand - you can't do that if you're not good enough for the CC. I agree that it took him a bit of time to come good, we have to see whether it was a blip or he's finally reached maturity but I think it's a bit soon to let him go. He needs to get his head down and make some big scores regularly - although he did get a 192 last year

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Like I said, last year he was just a handful of runs short of a thousand - you can't do that if you're not good enough for the CC. I agree that it took him a bit of time to come good, we have to see whether it was a blip or he's finally reached maturity but I think it's a bit soon to let him go. He needs to get his head down and make some big scores regularly - although he did get a 192 last year

I think last season he had two decent scores then a series of 25 off 30 balls before being caught somewhere...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think last season he had two decent scores then a series of 25 off 30 balls before being caught somewhere...

He scored 955 at 39.79 - three centuries and three 50s. But yes, there probably were a few 20s and 30s in there. That's what he needs to improve - the talent is there

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
He scored 955 at 39.79 - three centuries and three 50s. But yes, there probably were a few 20s and 30s in there. That's what he needs to improve - the talent is there

He is too much of a biffer. Does not read the match situation properly, so I expect will end up as a one day pick.

If that is the case, as with Mills I would prefer they did it somewhere else, as the budget is limited and having players unable to at least try and play all formats is not ideal (I know Mills is due to injury).

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This has got to be the weakest Sussex batting line-up I've ever seen, we're nailed on to be 100 behind at the halfway stage and I'll wage we'll be skittled out for under 100 in the 2nd innings.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here