Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

La Liga.Best League in Europe?

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
On the verge of an all spanish Champions League and Europa Cup final.
Consistently La Liga dominates these two competitions.
La Liga has the world's top 3 players and Europes top two glamorous sides.

Isn't it time those who still delude themselves the Prem is the best league now finally
concede it's not?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not sure how one judges best league but it has a good case for sure. Their's is a two horse race, Germany is two at best, apart from this year England is a 2-3 horse race*. Who knows.

But, they are consistently turning out a fantastic international team (1 WC and 2 EC) as well as dominating European football.

* and only because some Arabs bought Man City.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

Isn't it time those who still delude themselves the Prem is the best league now finally
concede it's not?

I think perhaps you are misunderstanding what best means in this case. The best teams are undoubtedly in La Liga, however the Prem is the best to watch.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
For what reasons?

A team like Leicester have just won it. That Chelsea-Tottenham game Monday night. It is not a complete procession every year.

In La Liga Barcelona have a goal difference of +75, Real are +73. Yes, it is tense at the top of La Liga this year, but pick a random game from La Liga to watch, chances are it won't be very competitive. The Premier League despite it's many faults can at least say that most games are competitive.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
A team like Leicester have just won it. That Chelsea-Tottenham game Monday night. It is not a complete procession every year.

In La Liga Barcelona have a goal difference of +75, Real are +73. Yes, it is tense at the top of La Liga this year, but pick a random game from La Liga to watch, chances are it won't be very competitive. The Premier League despite it's many faults can at least say that most games are competitive.

I wouldn't say the Prem is the best to watch.How many games have been all that this season?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Agree with what pantani says, although I think in terms of general competitiveness Germany is good as well.

Spain is without a doubt the best quality football and they seem to be able to produce very good players. That's where it ends for me, the TV deal they have where Real and Barca get all the money kills the bottom half of the league. Watch a game between two of the bottom teams and it can resemble a training match played in front of 10,000 people where everyone is going through the motions.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
Probably better to say which league is less predictable on a match by match basis and the answer is the Premier League. French, German and Spanish leagues aren't so much. IMHO that's why the Premier League is the best to watch.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

concede it's not?

I'm not sure anyone claims the Premier League to be the best league in terms of actual footballing quality / technique / ability do they?

What perhaps defines the Premier League as the best league is in terms of worldwide viewing and interest. The PL trumps La Liga in terms of how many countries pay to show it, and how many viewers it attracts worldwide. In terms of raw excitement, of every game having the potential for upset, it is the best league for entertainment, otherwise everyone would be watching La Liga wouldn't they?

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
I think perhaps you are misunderstanding what best means in this case. The best teams are undoubtedly in La Liga, however the Prem is the best to watch.

Yes the best teams are in La Liga however when the english media realised english teams are poor they then said the best league is no longer based on best teams but most exciting league.If that wasn't the case they would then say it's best on the best grounds then on the best catering at grounds etc etc.

I don't watch La Liga so can't judge the games.I do know there are some poor sides in there hence Messi and Co score around 80 hatricks per season.However unless you watch alot of La Liga you can't say the Prem standard is higher.Always use to annoy me when people slated the italian league because I know those same people never watched Serie A.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

This. With the inequality in La Liga most games involving Barca and Real are completely pointless. Loads of 4,5,6 nils. Totally dull in comparison to the PL where anyone can win (except Villa).

With the new influx of tv cash to the PL it's only likely to get more competitive whereas Spain will only get less so as the big 2 take half the money. What Atletico are doing aside, as that's a minor miracle.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
For what reasons?
I guess more players go to Spain.
A. Because of the warmer climate, as no disrespect the players that come from those climates do not really like to play in the English winter.
B. I am talking of South American types where the language is similar.
C. Hence some of the better players do go there, making a better league?? Not more exciting than the premier league?? :)

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
Probably better to say which league is less predictable on a match by match basis and the answer is the Premier League. French, German and Spanish leagues aren't so much. IMHO that's why the Premier League is the best to watch.

How is the Prem not predictable?In a normal season City,Utd and Chelsea for example would only lose 4-6 games.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

A division with three teams chasing two automatic promotions spots in the final months of the season, two of which have had 20+ game unbeaten runs, down to a final day showdown between two of these these teams for one of the places, with an estimated £170million for the winner...?

And the debate is whether La Liga or the Prem is the "best" league? FFS ???

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
What perhaps defines the Premier League as the best league is in terms of worldwide viewing and interest. The PL trumps La Liga in terms of how many countries pay to show it, and how many viewers it attracts worldwide. In terms of raw excitement, of every game having the potential for upset, it is the best league for entertainment, otherwise everyone would be watching La Liga wouldn't they?

Although apparently this helped by some geographical luck which La Liga are quite bitter about. The time difference means that Premier league games are shown at prime time in Asia in a Saturday night.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
How is the Prem not predictable?In a normal season City,Utd and Chelsea for example would only lose 4-6 games.

Like I said, on a match by match basis, i.e. unpredictable results. You still get more 'shock' results here than the other previously mentioned leagues. The top 6 here is certainly a lot tighter in the Premier by the end of the season rather than say Real or Barca being 70 odd goals in front!

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
A league is more exciting if you know the teams.Know the players.Read about them in the papers.See them in TV news reports.Read the stories and controversy every day.You grow up with these teams.Therefore regardless of how good a foreign league is why is someone watching a game in Barnsley going to be interested in Seville v Granada.He will say it was boring.For the same reason the spaniard watching Watford v Everton will probably say the same.That's why foreign leagues will always have limited interest abroad.Always amazed me how Serie A survived on a main terrestrial channel for so long and was only scrapped because the big games were switched to Sunday evenings instead of 2/3pm when C4 showed a game.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The fact that Sevilla, Atletico and Villareal are having a good season certainly adds weight to the argument that La Liga is better, but I think we'd need to see more than one or two seasons like this to prove the point. I'd also add that the same hipster types arguing how great La Liga is, probably wouldn't have done the same thing when English clubs were hoovering up pretty much all the silverware on offer from the 60s to the mid 80s. These things ebb and flow. It's probably time the Italian league improved, and the Bundesliga.

The only thing that never changes is that Real and Barca gobble up HALF of Spanish television money on offer because they're allowed to negotiate their own deals.

No thanks.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

concede it's not?

While competing in the European competitions the La Liga teams have an advantage over PL teams, in that Spain has only one cup competition which is low key, and teir league games are moved to give the team in Europe the most amount of rest and preparation before a European game, whereas the PL is dictated by TV schedules so that ou get both Man city and Liverpool fielding shadow teams before important European ties.

If you could combine La Liga and the PL it would be interesting to see what the average position of the respective teams would be. While you would expect both Madrid teams, Barca to be towards the top of the combined league, I would suspect that the average position of PL teams would be higher. with the lower half of the league dominated by La Liga teams.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here