Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton's worst XI

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
There was an early kick off, It was (obviously) Leeds Vs Someone. I remember watching it in the concourse at the Madjeski that day, and I think Frazer Richardson scored the first goal of "The Championship" era.

I have no idea how or why I remember it so well! Think it was Leeds' first game after relegation so Sky made a big deal of it!

Oh man, that means that fort all of these years I have thought that not only the wrong person but also the wrong team scored the first goal in The Championship.

Time to scrap that off my 'pointless football trivia' list

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I feel bad about always mentioning Phil Andrews on these kind of threads

but

Phil Andrews

and the lesser talented Fox brother.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I feel bad about always mentioning Phil Andrews on these kind of threads

but

Phil Andrews

and the lesser talented Fox brother.

in fairness, Andrews was mainly used as an 'impact sub', for example when we were losing 1-3 to Carlisle and I did see his goal on New Years day away at Torquay.

RyFish

Dec 6, 2011
Do behave.

Just checked his stats: the bloke played 204 league games (most of them in the second tier, with a few in the 1st division) and scored 57 goals - that's not the record of a striker who's anywhere near inept

His record for Brighton is 10 goals in 42 games, slightly inferior to his overall record but that's really not the record of an incompetent

And he managed all that while (or just after?) shagging Maria Whittaker.

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
Two players stand out for me, not for lack of skill but for lack of attitude Phil Beale and Joe Kinnear. . This was when we used to sign Spurs players who wanted a final pay cheque.These two made Leon Best look like the hardest working player ever!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Worst team;

Henderson
Hoyte Hawkins Carr Campbell
Carole Fraser Bennett McLeod
Hilton Mahoney-Johnson​
Bit unfair on the scorer of that wonder goal at Hereford, Tommy Fraser. Replace him with the poor man's Butch Wilkins, Dale Jasper. Like Wilkins, Jasper only ever passed the ball sideways or back, rarely more than 5 or 10 yards. Unlike Wilkins, though, it was rarely to one of his own team mates.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Bit unfair on the scorer of that wonder goal at Hereford, Tommy Fraser. Replace him with the poor man's Butch Wilkins, Dale Jasper. Like Wilkins, Jasper only ever passed the ball sideways or back, rarely more than 5 or 10 yards. Unlike Wilkins, though, it was rarely to one of his own team mates.

I remember Wilkins knocking the ball forwards once :(

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Gavin Geddes.

Harsh. In our informal kick-abouts on Nevill Rec, (ages 11 to 16, plus the strange 20-something loner who lived with his Mum, in Nevill Avenue) Gavin was comfortably in the top half of players.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
But Farrington was playing two divisions higher than some of the dross that we had 20 years ago, you're not comparing like with like. And he scored some goals, which is more than MMJ, Holroyd, Dixon and company did.

Farrington suffered from the fact he followed Small and Byrne....was he that terrible or just not their class?

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
And what was the name of that massive centre half with the long throw who played a few games at the Withdean then disappeared?

Was it George Santos or Joe Dolan? Both were shocking.

It's very cruel, as they were clearly well out of their depth and thrown under a bus at a delicate stage of their careers, but I struggle to think of as ineffective strike partnership as Marney and Wilkinson in the Championship with Hinshelwood.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Mark McCammon up front...absolute rubbish and a complete tosser as well. I remember taking my Wife to any away game at Coventry and she knows absolutely zero about football but after 10 mins she turned to me and asked how the bloke upfront manages to get in the team when he clearly can't play football!

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
John Piercy - Was he rubbish or was that just after his injury? i remember thinking how poor he was one game and then him announcing his retirement because of some stomach condition or something?

John Piercy was a decent player on his day but suffered badly with injuries and then had the colitis which finished his career. Shame as I always felt he had real potential.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
John Piercy was a decent player on his day but suffered badly with injuries and then had the colitis which finished his career. Shame as I always felt he had real potential.

Yeah definitely the injury. He was magic for one game when we beat Wycombe 4-0 and that seemed like an indicator of his potential. Also seem to remember that all the players said he was the most skilled player in the squad at the time (might have been bullshit!). Just very unlucky with fitness!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here