Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I accept and understand that not everyone supports the strike or the unions and people's annoyance at the inconvenience but im curious - is there ANYONE on here who genuinely believes that GTR are doing this to "modernise" the railway and improve customer service rather than just trying to eek every last penny out of the railway after getting rid of cleaners, caterers, ticket office staff, guards etc etc? Just genuinely interested if anyone does actually believe them.

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
I'm not a member of the RMT, I'm a member of the general PUBLIC who are SUPPORTING our DOCTORS, our RAIL guards and anyone ELSE who is sticking UP for themselves and FIGHTING for their LIVELIHOODS

Good for you. There are too many 'Look how it affects ME' people on here. Thatcher generation no doubt.

Diablo

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Fabulous TURN out on the picket line and the public 100% in SUPPORT of the STRIKING Conductors, SHAME about the behaviour of a few management KNOBS trying to look MASTERFUL but miserably FAILING

On the Picket line not surprised 100 % support......Off the picket line I`d be surprised if they have 10% public support .

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I accept and understand that not everyone supports the strike or the unions and people's annoyance at the inconvenience but im curious - is there ANYONE on here who genuinely believes that GTR are doing this to "modernise" the railway and improve customer service rather than just trying to eek every last penny out of the railway after getting rid of cleaners, caterers, ticket office staff, guards etc etc? Just genuinely interested if anyone does actually believe them.

Nope, all about profit.

biddles911

May 12, 2014

Maybe, maybe not but does anyone who actually travels regularly on the railways believe that the guards do a halfway decent job and are really essential to running the trains efficiently and effectively in the twenty first century with current technology?

I think pretty much everyone on this thread who admits to being a regular traveller has been almost wholly dismissive of their contribution!

I have very little sympathy with a group who clearly do a rotten job of the limited duties they're supposed to carry out, irrespective of the motivations of management who, I agree, are also a complete bunch of wasters.

P.s. I'm a regular commuter too....

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Good for you. There are too many 'Look how it affects ME' people on here. Thatcher generation no doubt.

Quite. And all those criticising the doctors, teachers, railway workers etc will soon start bleating when it's their turn. Unless you're super rich its only a matter of time.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm not a member of the RMT, I'm a member of the general PUBLIC who are SUPPORTING our DOCTORS, our RAIL guards and anyone ELSE who is sticking UP for themselves and FIGHTING for their LIVELIHOODS

This.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Quite. And all those criticising the doctors, teachers, railway workers etc will soon start bleating when it's their turn. Unless you're super rich its only a matter of time.
Yep, soon everything will be private and we'll all be completely f***ed!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester

I am "look at how it affects me" and make no apologies for it. I pay a lot of money for a train every morning, I have the right to complain, you will not take that away.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I am "look at how it affects me" and make no apologies for it. I pay a lot of money for a train every morning, I have the right to complain, you will not take that away.

I think you need to look at the bigger picture.

One Teddy Maybank

Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Exactly.

It's not as though nationalisation was a roaring success in the 70's. Who could ever forget the shambles under Callaghan.

Brovion

Jul 6, 2003
That's a fair comment. If I had to put a figure on it I'd say *licks finger* it's 75% cost-cutting and 25% modernisation - but there IS a modernisation element. Yes it's being done in a cack-handed and bullying manner, and yes I accept and expect the unions to do everything they can to protect the interests of their members (which after all is their function), but like all work environments technology is changing the way the railways operate. If it didn't we still have dirvers and firemen in every cab and people going round lighting the oil and gas lamps in the signals.

Anyway, I'm out of it now - I've just bought a car!

Hamilton

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
On the Picket line not surprised 100 % support......Off the picket line I`d be surprised if they have 10% public support .

I think a much larger percentage support the cause of the guards. I do.

That doesn't mean I think the guards are doing a good job. Too many on the railways are doing an appalling job, from senior management to the front line.

It means I end up begrudgingly supporting a bunch of people too many of whom treat passengers with contempt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brovion

Jul 6, 2003
Obviously a lot of truth in that, but in these instances to borrow from Karl Marx - "A strike is a weapon with a worker at both ends". It's not the capitalist class that suffer.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
In nearly 13 years of commuting to London, I have to say the 6.17 Thameslink from Hassocks this morning was probably the worst rail journey I've ever had. Had to be bordering on the dangerous. I've never been on such an over crowded train in my life. Without a word of a lie, I was wedged up against the door and couldn't move until Blackfriars. If there had been some sort of accident or emergency on that train, people would have stood no chance.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
In nearly 13 years of commuting to London, I have to say the 6.17 Thameslink from Hassocks this morning was probably the worst rail journey I've ever had. Had to be bordering on the dangerous. I've never been on such an over crowded train in my life. Without a word of a lie, I was wedged up against the door and couldn't move until Blackfriars. If there had been some sort of accident or emergency on that train, people would have stood no chance.

You'd have been fine. Conductor would have dealt with it

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

That's DOO working for you, welcome to the SAFE future of commuting

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here