Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

19 years ago today last game at the goldstone

edna krabappel

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
Looking at that table, it is also interesting to see the likes of hartlepools, Torquay, Darlington down the bottom as they are in dire straights now and are down the bottom almost every year. I read somewhere that Darlington are now in the 9th tier of the game and had to move out of their stadium which is now home to the local rugby ground.

They've progressed a bit since then. They were wound up and reformed as Darlington 1883, leaving the Darlington Arena, that massive white elephant stadium. They've played at Bishop Auckland I think, and other north eastern grounds, and now share the local rugby club's ground.

They've just won the Northern Premier League, as tweeted by (former Darlo keeper) David Stockdale last week, and next season will be playing in the National League North, just one division below what the rest of us know as the Conference.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Strange feeling watching those clips and seeing those pictures. It's hard to explain how you can be sick to the stomach and elated all at the same time but that sums up my feelings during the match. The tension was horrendous and only surpassed by the Hereford game so overall not particularly 'happy' memories as watching your football club teeter on the brink of extinction is a harrowing experience. On the plus side it has somewhat immunised me to the following 19 years of ups and downs and means I remain relatively calm in our current more pleasurable predicament.

My sentiments entirely. If we don't clinch promotion this year I'll be gutted, along with everyone else on here. However, I genuinely felt that had we lost at Hereford my beloved club, crippled by debts and the lack of a ground, would slide towards extinction/lower league oblivion. Looking at those clips, even 19 years later, I feel a bit anxious. It was a horrible time and like most fans I felt utterly helpless.

Certainly adds some clarity to the modern-day plight of the Albion, ie whether or not we play in the Premier League or Championship next season.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Thanks again to the fella who cut up the North goal net and handed it out. Still a treasured item.

I remember returning the next day when the gates to the old East Terrace had been broken open and a load of us had a kickabout on what was left of the pitch in between grabbing any last memento of that hallowed ground we could.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
goldstonerip.jpg

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I remember returning the next day when the gates to the old East Terrace had been broken open and a load of us had a kickabout on what was left of the pitch in between grabbing any last memento of that hallowed ground we could.

We went down to The Goldstone the day before the Hereford game. The squad were going through training on the pitch for a final time. It's a minor miracle none of them turned an ankle or got otherwise injured given the hundreds of large divots in the hallowed turf.

We stayed and watched them get on the coach and start the journey up to Hereford, wishing them well. If that was today, I'd have numerous photos from my phone. As it is, I don't have a single shot.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
LWLWDWD - what a rollercoaster ride that was!

The whole second half of the season was. From January onwards we won every game at home, bar the amazing 4-4 with Orient and we'd travel away with hope of getting a precious away victory to help close the gap further still.

We lost nearly everywhere though - Torquay, Lincoln, Carlisle, Darlington, Hull, Chester and Scunthorpe. I remember the latter well - a miserable 1-0 defeat and as we skulked away from the ground at the end of the game, we thought we were going to run out of matches and we were done for. The next game was Wigan who had already achieved promotion, possibly as champions. Looking back, maybe they were "on the beach" and that helped us, as we beat them 1-0.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
The whole second half of the season was. From January onwards we won every game at home, bar the amazing 4-4 with Orient and we'd travel away with hope of getting a precious away victory to help close the gap further still.

We lost nearly everywhere though - Torquay, Lincoln, Carlisle, Darlington, Hull, Chester and Scunthorpe. I remember the latter well - a miserable 1-0 defeat and as we skulked away from the ground at the end of the game, we thought we were going to run out of matches and we were done for. The next game was Wigan who had already achieved promotion, possibly as champions. Looking back, maybe they were "on the beach" and that helped us, as we beat them 1-0.

Even more bizarre was how we managed to stay up thanks to a one-off change to the goal difference rule where only 'goals for' counted.

The footballing gods were on our side.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Ah - that doesn't show the points deduction does it?
Ah OK I thought that table did not seem right. We'd been deducted two points (for York the previous season?)
With the Doncaster result we went above them on goals scored ... goals I've always put down to the 5 we scored vs Hartlepool at Fans United (at least when I am boring my nephew rigid for nth time)

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
must never forget
must never forget how far we have come

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Has anyone got the footage of when we stormed the directors box to try to get at Bellotti? It was an evening match before the York game I think. I used to be able to find it on YouTube but can't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here