Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I know many people are hacked off about not getting to work, but I've seen rail strikes come and go and awkward bosses always get over it.

Brovion

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 6, 2003
I do find it somewhat ironic that people who have nothing but contempt for the way Southern run their train services are all suddenly coming on here and saying how right they are in getting rid of guards (for that is what they are effectively doing). So are all you commuters now supporting Southern and assuming they are doing this for all the right reasons - seriously?
I support the commuters since I am one. I think we see everybody connected with the railways as 'them' and asking us to differentiate between railway Staff and Management is like asking people to differentiate between ISIS and Al Queda. My default position in any industial dispute is always to support the strikers, but in this instance I really don't give a shit who's right seeing as no one gives a shit about us - even though both side claim to. We're just a football.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
25 April 2016
RMT Press Office

RMT sets out core points for the public at heart of Southern guards dispute – company putting profits before public safety

RAIL UNION RMT today began distributing information to the general public at stations across Southern rail setting out the three core issues at the heart of the strike action that starts at 11am tomorrow – 26th April:

• Removal of conductors from trains

• Safety under threat

• Company putting profit before safety

RMT says that once again the travelling public have been subjected to GTR Southern’s propaganda on the matter of the guards and proposals to remove the safety critical role they currently perform. The GTR spin has been branded by the union as nothing more than a smokescreen designed to cover up the fact that this massively-unpopular franchise operator is once again looking to ramp up profit margins at the expense of the safety and quality of service to passengers who pay some of the highest fares on Britain’s railways to travel on overcrowded and unreliable services.

Mick Cash, RMT General Secretary, said:

“Let us be crystal clear – this dispute is about safety and the safety-critical role of the guards on Southern trains. The company, with an eye on ever-fatter profits, is prepared to axe the guards on some of the most overcrowded and potentially-dangerous services in Britain so that they can squeeze every last penny out of their passengers regardless of the consequences. That is a lethal gamble with safety in the name of profit and that is why we have been forced to take strike action.

“Southern see their passengers as nothing more than self-loading freight, there to be fleeced at every turn and every opportunity. The consequences of removing guards, the human eyes and ears on that dangerous interface between crowded platforms and crowded trains, is blindingly obvious to anyone but the rip-off merchants running this deeply unpopular rail franchise.

“The company have now resorted to trying to bully and intimidate staff taking a stand to defend the safety-critical role of the guard. That is disgusting but nothing surprises us with this mob. The union stands firm and united in advance of tomorrows action and we urge the public once again to support their rail workers. Our job is your safety.”

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
From Ernest's post:

"some of the most overcrowded and potentially-dangerous services in Britain"

Yes, they probably are and have been for years. Never bothered Southern staff or the RMT before though has it?

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
25 April 2016
RMT Press Office

RMT sets out core points for the public at heart of Southern guards dispute – company putting profits before public safety

RAIL UNION RMT today began distributing information to the general public at stations across Southern rail setting out the three core issues at the heart of the strike action that starts at 11am tomorrow – 26th April:

• Removal of conductors from trains

• Safety under threat

• Company putting profit before safety

RMT says that once again the travelling public have been subjected to GTR Southern’s propaganda on the matter of the guards and proposals to remove the safety critical role they currently perform. The GTR spin has been branded by the union as nothing more than a smokescreen designed to cover up the fact that this massively-unpopular franchise operator is once again looking to ramp up profit margins at the expense of the safety and quality of service to passengers who pay some of the highest fares on Britain’s railways to travel on overcrowded and unreliable services.

Mick Cash, RMT General Secretary, said:

“Let us be crystal clear – this dispute is about safety and the safety-critical role of the guards on Southern trains
. The company, with an eye on ever-fatter profits, is prepared to axe the guards on some of the most overcrowded and potentially-dangerous services in Britain so that they can squeeze every last penny out of their passengers regardless of the consequences. That is a lethal gamble with safety in the name of profit and that is why we have been forced to take strike action.

“Southern see their passengers as nothing more than self-loading freight, there to be fleeced at every turn and every opportunity. The consequences of removing guards, the human eyes and ears on that dangerous interface between crowded platforms and crowded trains, is blindingly obvious to anyone but the rip-off merchants running this deeply unpopular rail franchise.

“The company have now resorted to trying to bully and intimidate staff taking a stand to defend the safety-critical role of the guard. That is disgusting but nothing surprises us with this mob. The union stands firm and united in advance of tomorrows action and we urge the public once again to support their rail workers. Our job is your safety.”

After the OVERWHELMING ballot results strike dates are ....

SOUTHERN (GTR)
Our Ref: BR2/0146
19th April 2016
Dear Colleague
ROLE OF THE GUARD AND EXTENSION OF DOO – SOUTHERN (GTR)
Further to my previous correspondence with regards to the above matter and where I informed you of the magnificent results in the ballot for strike action and action short of a strike. First and foremost, I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate our members for returning an overwhelming Yes vote in favour of taking industrial action.
I can now advise you that your union’s National Executive Committee has again had the opportunity to consider this matter and believe that the only way to stop management introducing Driver Only Operation (DOO) that threatens your jobs, working conditions and public safety is by taking strike action.
Therefore, your union’s National Executive Committee has taken the decision to call on all our Southern (GTR) Conductor and Conductor Instructor grade members to take the following strike action:
Members are instructed not to book on for any turns of duty that commence between:
• 11.00 hours on Tuesday 26th April 2016 until 10.59 hours on Wednesday 27th April 2016
• 11.00 hours on Tuesday 10th May 2016 until 10.59 hours on Wednesday 11th May 2016
• 11.00 hours on Thursday 12th May 2016 until 10.59 hours on Friday 13th May 2016.
Once again, congratulations to all our Southern (GTR) Conductor and Conductor Instructor members for your show of strength and solidarity in this dispute.
UNITY IS STRENGTH
SUPPORT YOUR UNION – SUPPORT THE ACTION
Best wishes.
Mick Cash
General Secretary

Mr Cash seems to play to his audience a bit, no surprise he was Bob Crow's former deputy

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Maybe you need a union to back you up in your job. Look I have honestly no great love for unions but sometimes you have to stand up and fight for what you believe in. I don't know any other way the guards could fight - GTR have already said it doesn't matter what they do, they will be implementing the changes so in the face of that there is nothing to discuss. I have a huge amount of sympathy for passengers both generally and tomorrow but im afraid sometimes hard decisions need to be taken. I just don't know what else the guards could have done in this circumstance.

That's all fine and dandy but then the guards can't whine about not having passenger support when they have gone out of their way to make life as awkward as possible by striking at those times AND giving such short notice. Equally, we passengers, are fed up of poor service and the staff such as guards are equally to blame as the management. For years Southern has been a shambolic service run by an out of touch management team and staff that wouldn't know good customer service if it hit them the face ( nor do they care ).

There is a reason that the junior doctors, firemen and even recently the tube staff have managed to keep the public largely in support of their action and these guards clearly don't understand that. Carry on with a policy of strikes like they are currently and most commuters will happily see the back of them ..... it can't possibly make the service any worse.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
On a practical level, if you have to travel back to the Sussex Coast via Thameslink on strike days, avoid London Bridge at all costs. It's full of Croydonite troglodytes at the best of times. On strike days they'll probably have to close London Bridge due to overcrowding, so much so that trains may well not even stop there. If you can, go North to Farringdon or City Thameslink then double back South.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I do find it somewhat ironic that people who have nothing but contempt for the way Southern run their train services are all suddenly coming on here and saying how right they are in getting rid of guards (for that is what they are effectively doing). So are all you commuters now supporting Southern and assuming they are doing this for all the right reasons - seriously?

17:40 to Littlehampton cancelled this evening due to a member of the train crew being unavailable.

50-50 that was a conductor.

I think people appreciate Southern are doing this to reduce delays. CCTV doesn't turn up to work late.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
17:40 to Littlehampton cancelled this evening due to a member of the train crew being unavailable.

I think people appreciate Southern are doing this to reduce delays. CCTV doesn't turn up to work late.
Why was the train crew member unavailable ?

Or are you making some assumptions ?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

Chances are it's because Southern are too cheap to employ sufficient staff to run a service with contingency for staff sickness etc. Either that or because the guard and/or driver has been delayed on another service. Or even more likely because Southern love using that as an excuse. My train has been cancelled "due to staff shortages" before when both members of staff are waiting to take the train.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
How is that relevant to my point?
I thought you were claiming Southern were doing this to reduce delays ?

You seemed to blame the conductor for the cancelled train.

I'm sorry, I obviously misread your post.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
There is nothing positive to say about Southern.

The trains are uncomfortable, unreliable and badly placed (packed trains are scheduled to be 8 carriages, yet less popular trains are run as 12 carriages).

In addition, why run 10 coach Gatwick Express trains between London and Gatwick with no more than 30 people on them ?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
There is nothing positive to say about Southern.

The trains are uncomfortable, unreliable and badly placed (packed trains are scheduled to be 8 carriages, yet less popular trains are run as 12 carriages).

In addition, why run 10 coach Gatwick Express trains between London and Gatwick with no more than 30 people on them ?

and people think getting rid of guards, closing all ticket offices and having DOO 12 car trains will miraculously result in a PERFECT journey each and every day

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama

Did they actually announce this? I've heard similar such announcements during my stints back to Brighton and I find them quite hilarious.*

I wonder what all those German and Japanese students going to all those language schools make of it.

*Of course I'd be crying if I lived there and had to put up with that shit every day.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Trains this morning have been fine. Strike not started yet though. Looking forward to a longer journey home tonight. It'll be a pain but I'll get home. All power to the conductors, I wish them well in their struggle with Southern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Trains this morning have been fine. Strike not started yet though. Looking forward to a longer journey home tonight. It'll be a pain but I'll get home. All power to the conductors, I wish them well in their struggle with Southern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the update - where did you travel from/to?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here