Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ireland 1-0 Germany

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Coping alright thanks, but bored of the "England B team" snidey dig as it has been doing the rounds since Euro 1988...

C'mon I bet you havent got a sporting 'snide' side to you against most things English, being a good ole Irishman, yeah right :)

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Sorry, but come on! It's a great win for them, but it's in no way any reflection on England.

The reason England have tended to be in "easy" groups is because they regularly qualify for major tournaments (alright, they then implode spectacularly once there, but they do usually qualify). The reason Scotland, Ireland and the rest get tougher groups is because they don't. England have won every single game in their group at the time of writing, despite a fairly transitional squad in many respects. I'm sure the players actually care about what they're doing: it's usually the tactics and lack of continental footballing sophistication that seems to be their eventual undoing.

You can't put a single win (and- let's be honest- a classic smash & grab, backs-to-the-wall win with a goal scored on the break from a massive hoof forward) down to simply passion and belief. It's just what happens in football sometimes, a little bit of good fortune and some decent defending.

Incidentally, if Wales were able to advance their world ranking position with a draw against Israel recently, this result must mean Ireland are now up there with Argentina and Brazil, yes?

I think you are analysing the comment from [MENTION=12752]grummitts gloves[/MENTION] too much Edna. Although what you say is true. The 'take note England' is more to do with passion and belief than the way in which the irish won the game. You could see the belief in the Irish lads, it grew bigger as the game went on. I think that's the note England should take, passion and belief. We come up against opposition of quality and the belief part is definitely lacking and the passion has drifted away regularly since 2002.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
I think you are analysing the comment from [MENTION=12752]grummitts gloves[/MENTION] too much Edna. Although what you say is true. The 'take note England' is more to do with passion and belief than the way in which the game was one. You could see the belief in the Irish lads, it grew bigger as the game went on. I think that's the note, passion and belief. We come up against opposition of quality and the belief part is definitely lacking and the passion has drifted away regularly since 2002.

Captain S, you have explained it better than I could, yes, that was my point. As a side note, I actually think we could win it this time (that's us f***ed!!)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
England's last game against Germany finished 4-1 to the Germans if I remember rightly.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
F*ck em,hope poland beat them. Do you really think that if you logged on to shamrock rovers or derry citys forum you'd find them congratulating England when they win ?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
My wife is Irish. My own two boys would qualify. I consider them a bit of a second team.

Well lets hope they get the chance to. Would you rather they play for England or Ireland ?

So if there were two or three more like him in the England team, you'd deem England to be 'Jamaica B'?

No but I might make a joke about it like many people have about the England Cricket team being South African B team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here