Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good squad, no direction

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The squad is not good enough to avoid relegation and are showing it. Can we get Bridcutt or similar in January we would then have a fighting chance to avoid relegation but without sorry Div 1 here we come.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
I agree with this. OK, we have a lot of loanees and they may not have the fire in the belly that the likes of Dunk and Lua Lua have but take a look around the league and we're not alone in relying on loan players. In any case, that's a diversion. The real question is: how the hell, in the passing of three seasons, have we gone from good manager to good manager to hopeless basket case?

Bouncing off the ceiling perhaps?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I've been pretty convinced all season that we have the calibre of players that should see us comfortably in mid-table, even more so now that we've added a proven goalscorer. And I still think with an organised manager the players believe in, we'd be in that position by February at worst.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I would think Stockdale, Baldock, Dunk, Ince and JFK who have all recently signed long contracts, other than them not many that's my point.

Stockdale, Dunk & JFC will all move on if we get relegated, Baldock & Ince didn't start today.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
We are a mixed squad of young players, decent loanees plus a few of the solid acts of the last few years. Hyypia does not have them working as a coherent unit however. We look ragged & clueless half the time. Parker, Rodallega & Ruiz to name but 3 looked a class higher and Fulham played much more incisively. This squad should comfortably stay up but ... I am beginning to contemplate the awful possibility of losing to Luton next season!

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Dunk is the only player right now, the rest are average at best. Bent should have scored two by the break. IMHO the manager is not the issue, love to be proved wrong and await the thumbs down but hey-ho. Bruno and E Bennett were poor today.

Felpham Seagull

May 15, 2013
Felpham
I genuinely think that we now have the players we require to do well in this league. However, I have not seen any evidence to suggest that Hyypia has even the slightest idea how to organise, motivate and direct them over 90 minutes. We were better than Fulham in the first half and looked good in the second half until we scored. From that point on it was a familiar tale of relinquishing the lead and then going two one down. When Fulham scored their second you could see them re-group and shut up shop - exactly what we should have done when we scored. Hyypia is clueless and will take us into L1.

your spot on

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I think we have a reasonable squad - different to previous seasons, we have the ability to play it around in the opponent's half - but what we lack for me is leadership. There should never be squabbling for long over who is to hoof the next freekick over the bar or get sent off for stupid second yellows. Someone has to step forward, make the decisions and keep the rest of the team's mentality bubbling at a correct level whilst being clearly in charge. An experienced enough chap in the middle is needed, i'd say, keeping things under control. Then the skill level we have will start paying off. Hardly part of the furniture, but i wonder if Holla could make a return and be a firmly persuasive figure.

Felpham Seagull

May 15, 2013
Felpham
It certainly has echoes.

As it happens, I do believe we have enough to be comfortably midtable with this squad of players (top six with this lot is laughable Tony, I'm sorry but it is). But Hyypia is firefighting. I'm thankful that he's finally binned the wingbacks, that was never going to work. But now that he's taken that step and gone back to the drawing board, I fear he really doesn't know what to do for the best. He's floundering. And the players know it.

hes not floundering hes clueless

Baaaald

3rd time lucky
Aug 7, 2011
Haywards Heath
I am sorry I totally disagree that we have a good squad. This is a bang average squad of players that aren't good enough to get a game anywhere else. Other than Dunk (and bent) none of our squad would get in any of the top six in this division. Oh and they aren't getting any direction either!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Not a good squad we lack any quality in the wide defensive areas. Bruno is truly shocking, Calderon's legs have gone, Bennett is a kid playing a mans game. No creative players in the middle. The list goes on.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
You will achieve nothing with a team full of loan players. One or two or even three is ok. But our squad is a shambles atm. The quality is there but the manager hasn't got an f-ing clue how to get the best out of them. We will go down under Hyypia, no doubt about that at all.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
It certainly has echoes.

As it happens, I do believe we have enough to be comfortably midtable with this squad of players (top six with this lot is laughable Tony, I'm sorry but it is). But Hyypia is firefighting. I'm thankful that he's finally binned the wingbacks, that was never going to work. But now that he's taken that step and gone back to the drawing board, I fear he really doesn't know what to do for the best. He's floundering. And the players know it.

Good post. Just to add that I don't think he has the depth of experience to come up with an escape plan and that really worries me. Look, I love the way we have played football in the last two seasons but, on reflection, we had vastly superior players. So, it has to be a good old fashioned 'shut shop and dig deep' style of football from hereon in if we are going to stay in the Championship and I fear our manager has lost the shovel.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here